Johns Manville

Be The First To
Add Photos

Johns Manville President & CEO Mary Rhinehart

Mary Rhinehart

Some great people who actually do the heavy lifting. Senior management is the emperor who has no clothes.

Finance (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsGood salary and benefits, lots of great people sprinkled throughout company.

ConsSome key senior management are over their heads, and their insecurity results in poor decisions to hide their incompetence. Some of them focus too much on trying to do "all the right things" on a superficial level, vs. doing what's best for the company and its employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementMan up vs. using middle management and rank and file to take the fall for your insecurity and incompetencies. Trust and leverage the knowledge, experience and competence of your people vs. viewing them as a threat because they know more about areas than you do. Take a look at the number of people who have been promoted to key positions because they have the "right look" but no results, and promote the people who actually get the results.

Great company/organization in the past, in trouble during recent managment tenure

Manager (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsThe people at the plants working to implement ill conceived edicts.

ConsHas become too political, senior management is micro-managing from ivory tower with little background in manufacturing and competent management. Senior leaders and their direct reports are rewarded in simply pointing out problems, rather then developing effective solutions with those performing the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementEndeavor to rectify issues of the recent past and become experts at effectively managing people. A socio-technical approach in the context of systems engineering would be of great benefit.

I couldn't find one person who really liked working there...

Capital Projects (Former Employee) Littleton, CO

ProsNice location, not much is expected from you. People can get away with anything, besides doing their job.

ConsAll the interesting jobs are contracted out.
    Many peoples' (myself included) job was WAY different than the description
    Over 155 years, a lot of rules and stagnation have built up, getting in the way of work.
    Most of the company is close to retirement. (maybe a pro?)

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your employees

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work and retire

SAP Lead (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsLaid back atmosphere. Very family oriented

ConsSlow decision making process. Some managers not qualified to be managers

Advice to Senior ManagementEradicate the present culture of promoting friends, and pick the most skilled employees.

Oportunit for growth

Design Engineer (Current Employee) Tucson, AZ

Prosvery challenging to hone in skills for any career path.

Consvery demading field, with very difficult benchmarks, many long hour, not much for movement in company.

Advice to Senior Management...

Management needs to have common goals and objectives.

Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsSome great people to work with and a good total benefit package.

ConsManagers don't really lead - they micromanage and cause unhappiness. Training for new hires is hit and miss - some supervisors do very well and others are clueless. Some individuals are given far too much latitude and others seem to be watched like a hawk.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk for more feedback from subordinates. Show a coordinated effort regarding where the company is going -- some departments do this well and others are totally lost.

A breath of fresh air compared to Federal work

Information Technology (Current Employee) Denver, CO

Pros2,500 employees supported, More responsiblity, Hour lunch

ConsContract work through Volt, Smaller company harder to get hired on

Advice to Senior ManagementThin out bad apples

Good company to work for

Machine Attendant (Former Employee) Berlin, NJ

ProsPay is very very good and days off are very good also. But it depends on area and that unions contract.

ConsLong hours with deal with itchy fiberglass.

Advice to Senior ManagementExpect long hours,meeting after meeting and you will be traveling 60-70% of the time.

Good place, great products

Sales Technical (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsGroup of good people supporting great products and helping industry build better environments for living, working, playing. It has a name that people know and respected products that make some aspects of your job easier.

ConsThey have a number of products that are large volume items and help sell other items. Like many large companies this situations can put some great profitable products with smaller volumes at an internal disadvantage for resources.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at some of the very low volume profitable items that might work across several groups or stand alone in the marketplace and consider either making them their own group (however small). This may take stress off LARGE volume management teams.

Then give opportunity to expand not only the products applications but also the volume and revenues with a dedicated and more focused management team, but still within the company.

nice place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

Prosgood reward for your work

Consyearly increment, small cubes to work

Advice to Senior Managementhealth insurance benefits

Worked for Johns Manville? Contribute to the Community!