Johns Manville Reviews

1. Interesting place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Johns Manville full-time

Pros

Good place to start your career. Diverse job opportunities, geographic reach (N.A., Europe and China), and great people. Ownership structure is remarkable - JM is a Berkshire Hathaway portfolio company. Management takes a long-term view.

Cons

Hire for skills not necessarily train good people into roles. Lean staffing across most business and functional groups - challenging to pursue opportunities outside job role. Cyclical businesses tied to construction and industrial markets.

Advice to Management

Decentralize decision-making. Allow employees more latitude to try things but hold them accountable.

Marketing Specialist

Current Employee - Marketing in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Marketing in Denver, CO

I have been working at Johns Manville full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to touch many aspects of marketing - from trade shows to brand management to advertising. They run a skeleton crew, so each person must wear many hats.

Cons

Again, they run a skeleton crew, so the many hats issue also means this position gets to be admin, accounting payable, and whatever else the manager doesn't want to do. This can be frustrating, particularly when it interferes with your regular work. A tight ship is good, but this is a bit ridiculous.

Advice to Management

Hire more people and please hire folks with a broader range of skills. Engineers are great, but it is RIDICULOUS to hire them for EVERYTHING. Their mindset is not always conducive to every role. Also, promote from within. You have a lot of talent that you're ignoring for yet more engineers. ALLOW WORKING FROM HOME across the board - not just to a select few.

3. Great company!

Current Employee - Product Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Johns Manville full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people at the company are the best part!

Cons

Consistently more work to be done and more priorities resulting in many incomplete projects or working many more hours than desired in order to meet deadlines.

Great place to work except for Technology

I worked at Johns Manville full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful benefits Excellent pay VERY stable job

Cons

Technology laggards Some managers that don't listen Sr. Management can be out of touch with every day employees

Territory Sales

Pros

This company has great products, very strong brand recognition, and is owned by Berkshire Hathaway. Many employees have been with the company over 25 years, and in many cases they are 2nd, 3rd generation of their family to have worked for JM.

Cons

"Elite class" leadership creates an "us and them" atmosphere within the organization. Many jobs are offered and filled through personal relationships rather than through selection of the most qualified.

Advice to Management

Reach out to your subordinates to ensure a culture of a true team atmosphere. Assess individuals' true abilities and fit for a position, rather than promoting friends.

Great Company

Former Employee - Lead Analyst in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Lead Analyst in Denver, CO

Pros

Very stable company. They treat you well, provide great training, pay is fair, offices downtown are beautiful, and coworkers are great.

Cons

I didn't care for the vacation policy and the zero work from home opportunities... this is 2015, get with it! Also, there is very little recognition. Sometime people need more than 3.0 to stay motivated.

Advice to Management

Meow

8. Johns Manville

I worked at Johns Manville full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The plant offers a diverse manufacturing environment with glass manufacturing.

Cons

Silo of various organization hindered opportunity for improveent and growth for individuals.

9. Great people and supportive environment

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Johns Manville as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed working with the people very much. There were always there to answer any questions I had and were supportive in helping me through issues, or congratulating me on accomplishments.

Cons

The technical support was awful, and hiring was frustrating. My pay started off as the wrong amount agreed upon, my drug test got lost along the way, I had computer problems that IT never fixed, and they never gave me a copy of the program required for my job to install on my computer, so I downloaded it myself using my student account (free trial).

10. Very traditional and procedure bound

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in McPherson, KS
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in McPherson, KS

I have been working at Johns Manville full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, good pay and who doesn't want to work for a Berkshire Hathaway company?

Cons

No improvement program, people just stick to what they have been doing.

Advice to Management

Leadership training is greatly needed at the plant level and an improvement program would be good.

11. High demands, high rewards

Former Employee - Field Service Technician
    Former Employee - Field Service Technician

I worked at Johns Manville part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employees (at least in my division) were given a clear view of what was expected and were provided with the tools, equipment and training to be successful. The company culture places a high value on hard work, and recognize those that give the extra effort. Salary was well above average for the industry.

Cons

Valuing hard work is at times is at time obsessive. The saying went “If you can’t be bothered to show up in Saturday don’t bother coming in on Sunday. When the work load was high working in the field over the weekend, and putting in evening hours was the norm. Some the best workers burned out and left for jobs that payed less but offered better work - life balance.

Advice to Management

Your staff is highly motivated and works very hard - consider awarding additional vacations or comp time for all those evenings and weekend they put in.

RSS Feed </> Embed