Johns Manville

www.jm.com
Profile Unclaimed

Challenging, slow to move, old fashioned but hard core conservative values that place integrity and reputation first.

I have been working at Johns Manville full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunities are abundant for engineers and operation managers. Compensation is above average.

Cons

Limited opportunities for most positions outside operations and engineering. Benefits are a disappointment; geared to heavily to WHQ and not the plants needs.

Avoid the OKC location

I worked at Johns Manville

Pros

Experience depends on location and division. Decent pay, good work-life balance, good 401k and some benefits. Some locations are really good!

Cons

Oklahoma City has a questionable management style. There tends to be under-qualified people in positions which they have no relevant experience. Do not depend on HR for any ethical behavior.

If you want to move up in JM, it is all about playing games and making friends with the right people.

Very unprofessional management style, horrible HR, poor vacation time and bonuses, bad communication, unethical. Micro-managing to the max. If you want anything out of this company, you have to ask for it multiple times. Nothing will easily be given to you.

Please realize the importance of having clear communication and valuing your employees, even if they are low-level; these people make the company profit. Micro-managing and yelling makes employees unmotivated and miserable. A company and employees can only progress as far as it's leaders do.

Working there is like eating broccoli, every day, for the rest of your life. Good for you, but not good.

Current Employee - Snark Champion in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Snark Champion in Denver, CO

I have been working at Johns Manville full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Stable paycheck, coworkers are professional and courteous.

Cons

Ageism to the extreme. They have tons of older people waiting for retirement and blocking key promotable positions for career-minded individuals. The company is aware of that, but they're bypassing mid-career talent for very young, and denying many good, skilled, middle-aged workers a chance to grow. If you're over 30, chances to be considered an Emerging Leader start to close, and if you are over 40, its the kiss of Death, no matter how good you are, how hard you work.

Treat all employees as valuable, show some care and concern when employees have valid desires to manage their career. Engage on more than just your bottom line.

High demands, high rewards

Former Employee - Field Service Technician
    Former Employee - Field Service Technician

I worked at Johns Manville part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Employees (at least in my division) were given a clear view of what was expected and were provided with the tools, equipment and training to be successful. The company culture places a high value on hard work, and recognize those that give the extra effort.
    Salary was well above average for the industry.

Cons

Valuing hard work is at times is at time obsessive. The saying went “If you can’t be bothered to show up in Saturday don’t bother coming in on Sunday. When the work load was high working in the field over the weekend, and putting in evening hours was the norm. Some the best workers burned out and left for jobs that payed less but offered better work - life balance.

Your staff is highly motivated and works very hard - consider awarding additional vacations or comp time for all those evenings and weekend they put in.

Change mostly beneficial

Former Employee - Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Johns Manville full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Solid, stable company with a strong commitment to safety, employee development, volunteerism, financial returns and product stewardship. Mary Rhinehart, the new CEO, and Greg Clarke, the new CFO, are awesome and will move the company forward at a faster pace. It's new commitment to innovation should also help.

Cons

Market positions don't seem to be as strong as in the past. Surprisingly the company hasn't grown much under the Berkshire Hathaway ownership. Competitors are moving quicker in i environmental management systems and product declarations.

Take better advantage of the Berkshire Hathaway ownership and grow. Double down on product development and stewardship. Learn more from the Europeans in sustainable solutions. Motivate employees to be more active in their communities.

Solid company with good people, C level execs are not exactly qualified for the job....

Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Johns Manville full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits and flexibility. time off policies.

Cons

JM clearly stands for Just Meetings, we really don't get a full 40 hours of work in because we are ALWAYS in meetings often with no value.

Less meetings or at least make the meetings we have add value to the company. Watch out for the MANY employees who find "important" busy work to justify the job they hold. This company could use a good old fashioned layoff to shed some of the dead weight.

Great company culture, good benefits, good rewards for hardworking individuals.

Current Employee - Product/Quality Technologist
    Current Employee - Product/Quality Technologist

I have been working at Johns Manville full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Strong safety culture. Many opportunities to move up for hardworking, dedicated employees

Cons

Not too many. Must be willing to adjust personal schedule according to work schedule.

ok

I worked at Johns Manville full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good customer service reps. available

Cons

unable to keep good employees

Intriguing opportunity to see technology that few people, even in science, have an opportunity to view.

Former Employee - Research Technician in Littleton, CO
    Former Employee - Research Technician in Littleton, CO

I worked at Johns Manville full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Without a doubt, some of the most intelligent people I have ever worked with. Research brought me into contact with fascinating technology: every day was a challenge.

Cons

At the time I worked for Manville, they were experiencing the trials of the asbestos trust, which was endangering their solvency and, by extension, everyone's job security. It was a difficult and stressful period. Even so, I would not have traded the time I spent there, nor the people I was privileged to work with.

Keep checking those credentials.

Great Company

Current Employee - Commodity Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Commodity Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Johns Manville full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance. Location. Berkshire Hathaway.

Cons

No Cons I can speak to.