Johnson Brothers Reviews

2.9
Lynn W. Johnson

1. Sales Representative

I worked at Johnson Brothers full-time

Pros

Good company, benefits. As long as you perform, management leaves you alone.

Cons

Use of personal cell, car adds up. They do provide a minimal gas allowance, but it barely covers the cost of fuel. Some long hours.

2. Brand Manager

Current Employee - Brand Manager in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Brand Manager in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Johnson Brothers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Possibly the best industry to work in - selling wine and spirits has to tops as far as consumer products go. Very fast paced and innovative, always introducing new products to the market place. Very nice to work for a family owned business where the owners are accessible and they care about their employees as if they are their extended family. Company is growing and picking up brands from competition constantly.

Cons

Very busy during the holidays - uncapped commission so you eat what you kill - pressure to extend hours to make more money.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in technology - new iPads are great - we need to stay ahead of competition.

3. Warehouse Selector

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Johnston, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Johnston, IA

I have been working at Johnson Brothers full-time

Pros

Pay is decent. Hours during busy season is crazy. 3 day weekend.

Cons

Originally pick 120 cases an hr, move buildings and promise pay increase, no pay increase but we want you to pick 200 an hr. Took away breaks so we have to beg to even get one. No bonuses while management gets them. Work gossip is an individual going to corporate to get you fired. Very hard work, but they always want more. Management have no idea how to run the shift.

Advice to Management

Go pick an assignment with us before you assume you know what you're talking about

5. I worked as an Outside Sales Rep for this company for 7 years. The industry is demanding, fast paced and exciting.

I worked at Johnson Brothers

Pros

The division in which I worked was selling for the biggest winery in the world, making the expectations and goals very lofty, but not unattainable. I believed in the winery and their vision, as well as, the quality of the products that I was selling.

Cons

This industry is very demanding of your time especially in the peak season which is Sept. thru Dec. This time of the year included a full day and then uncompensated evening hours, anywhere from 3 to 6 hours that you are not paid for anywhere from 1 to 4 nights a week for the duration of the holiday season. Also, working weekends without pay was expected for me, 12 additional weekends of the year which was not shared with me as an expectation upon starting the position.

Advice to Management

The training that I received upon starting the position was great. There was also training offered, some was paid for by the company some was out of pocket, through out my employment. I worked very well with upper management and respected them. My direct manager was very hard to work for as his personality was very abrasive and he was very arrogant in his opinions. The majority of my customers did not care for him, which made my job challenging at times.

6. Sales

I have been working at Johnson Brothers

Pros

You can create your own schedule and you technically have an uncapped comission

Cons

you work with lots of uneducated people in stores, but Johnson Brothers management is fine

Slow in technology and bad at recruiting.

Current Employee - Sales in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Sales in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Johnson Brothers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Promote from within only. If you show that you can succeed you will get the most profitable territories. Best portfolio of beer brands in the industry, however that title could change soon with the pace that conpetitors are picking up legit craft beer names.

Cons

Terrible at recruiting quality salespeople. Most end up at competitors. High turnover. Managers at the top (not DMs) are oblivious to how sales works in the current environment. Technology and sales support are stone age. Prepare to work weekends and evenings. Worst portfolio of liquor brands in the industry.

Advice to Management

Get out in the field more and observe what is happening. This isn't the 90s, you can't play the same games. If you want to play craft beer you need to get the names that matter (Bell's, Oskar Blues, Lagunitas) not no name podunk brewers with zero credentials.

8. No Recognition

I have been working at Johnson Brothers

Pros

Flexible Working Conditions at this company

Cons

No Recognition for working hard

9. Pay to work for bumbling management.

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Johnson Brothers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The daily grind of the job itself is not terrible usually, as the industry is interesting at the days go by fairly quickly.

Cons

They give you absolutely no gas money for all the gas you use. I spent about $1000 a month out of pocket for gas. The amount of wear and tear on your vehicle plus the upkeep is not even considered by them. You end up making at or below minimum wage, yet they want you to dedicate your life to the company. They force you to sleep in hotels with random people within the company that you have never even met, and they get very very upset if you won't hang out with other co workers and management during your spare time. They are a family owned company which expects you to not like your own family and only care about others within he company, even on your days off. The management is easily the worst I have ever worked with. They will blame you for things way out of your control and most of the businesses you work with completely hate them due to their greed and mistreatment of others. They think their name and products are vastly superior to their competition, when that is far from the case. Most of the accounts you work with do not care about anything besides pricing and deals, which they will give you the least amount of resources and help in pleasing your accounts. You will regret working here and will be lucky to even get your paycheck on time or he full amount. Regardless, you will spend so much money just to go to work each day, that the paycheck is basically non existent. If you enjoy working for nothing and have no friends or family, this may be the company for you! They will expect you to go out to the bar, restaurants, golfing, general hanging out, and elbow rubbing on your free time. Get prepared for a lot of last minute meetings and trips which you have to pay out of pocket expenses on your days off too. Avoid at all costs.

Advice to Management

Learn people skills, work/life balance, proper compensation, employee retention, communication (which is horrid at the moment), taking care of your customers, realizing your competition is smoking you both internally and externally, hire managers that know how to actually manage people (crazy idea huh) instead of just company guys that will brown nose, and factor in the actual cost of using a personal vehicle. Gas should never be paid out of pocket, ever. Also, wear and tear is an extremely easy component to factor in on a per mileage basis, along with the extra maintenance it costs employees to be able to run all over heck for your greed.

10. Good place to work.

Current Employee - Human Resources
    Current Employee - Human Resources

I have been working at Johnson Brothers full-time

Pros

This is a stable place to work.

Cons

Work/life balance can be a challenge at times.

Advice to Management

Thank your employees for doing a good job.

11. They finesse workers into grueling grunt work today with their laid-back 'Hey Buddy'persona and fire you tomorrow.

Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Johnson Brothers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Difficult to determine. Pay looks enticing, but very long hours (with no time to stop for any break) averages your pay to about $10/hr. after taxes. By the way, if you do stop they do closely watch both on and off the premises constantly monitoring productivity). You will be injured working here. Your injury may be one which you may or may not recover from (yes, permanent work injuries are prevalent with this company). Pro: Ultra high turn over could be construed, I suppose as a sort of job security.

Cons

The only people who love their jobs here are the "good ol' boy" managers. They are compensated well for ensuring a very hard driven, toiling work force. I have seen many good workers (sound bodies/sound minds) practically laugh at what was expected of us before they quit. Many of us never stop looking for another job once we start here. If you now have another offer elsewhere; even for less money - take it. Johnson Brothers Liquor Company is a miserable place to try to make a living. Anyone will tell you that. If there are good reviews, managers snuck them in. Just the same - Good Luck, you'll need it.

Advice to Management

This is a top-down, I'm right/you're wrong, vertically integrated control fanatic hierarchy. They would laugh if you were so naive as to offer them any advice.

RSS Feed </> Embed