Johnson Brothers

Good place to work.

Current Employee - Human Resources
    Current Employee - Human Resources

I have been working at Johnson Brothers full-time

Pros

This is a stable place to work.

Cons

Work/life balance can be a challenge at times.

Thank your employees for doing a good job.

Pay to work for bumbling management.

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Johnson Brothers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The daily grind of the job itself is not terrible usually, as the industry is interesting at the days go by fairly quickly.

Cons

They give you absolutely no gas money for all the gas you use. I spent about $1000 a month out of pocket for gas. The amount of wear and tear on your vehicle plus the upkeep is not even considered by them. You end up making at or below minimum wage, yet they want you to dedicate your life to the company. They force you to sleep in hotels with random people within the company that you have never even met, and they get very very upset if you won't hang out with other co workers and management during your spare time. They are a family owned company which expects you to not like your own family and only care about others within he company, even on your days off. The management is easily the worst I have ever worked with. They will blame you for things way out of your control and most of the businesses you work with completely hate them due to their greed and mistreatment of others. They think their name and products are vastly superior to their competition, when that is far from the case. Most of the accounts you work with do not care about anything besides pricing and deals, which they will give you the least amount of resources and help in pleasing your accounts. You will regret working here and will be lucky to even get your paycheck on time or he full amount. Regardless, you will spend so much money just to go to work each day, that the paycheck is basically non existent. If you enjoy working for nothing and have no friends or family, this may be the company for you! They will expect you to go out to the bar, restaurants, golfing, general hanging out, and elbow rubbing on your free time. Get prepared for a lot of last minute meetings and trips which you have to pay out of pocket expenses on your days off too. Avoid at all costs.

Learn people skills, work/life balance, proper compensation, employee retention, communication (which is horrid at the moment), taking care of your customers, realizing your competition is smoking you both internally and externally, hire managers that know how to actually manage people (crazy idea huh) instead of just company guys that will brown nose, and factor in the actual cost of using a personal vehicle. Gas should never be paid out of pocket, ever. Also, wear and tear is an extremely easy component to factor in on a per mileage basis, along with the extra maintenance it costs employees to be able to run all over heck for your greed.

They finesse workers into grueling grunt work today with their laid-back 'Hey Buddy'persona and fire you tomorrow.

Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Johnson Brothers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Difficult to determine. Pay looks enticing, but very long hours (with no time to stop for any break) averages your pay to about $10/hr. after taxes. By the way, if you do stop they do closely watch both on and off the premises constantly monitoring productivity). You will be injured working here. Your injury may be one which you may or may not recover from (yes, permanent work injuries are prevalent with this company). Pro: Ultra high turn over could be construed, I suppose as a sort of job security.

Cons

The only people who love their jobs here are the "good ol' boy" managers. They are compensated well for ensuring a very hard driven, toiling work force. I have seen many good workers (sound bodies/sound minds) practically laugh at what was expected of us before they quit. Many of us never stop looking for another job once we start here. If you now have another offer elsewhere; even for less money - take it. Johnson Brothers Liquor Company is a miserable place to try to make a living. Anyone will tell you that. If there are good reviews, managers snuck them in. Just the same - Good Luck, you'll need it.

This is a top-down, I'm right/you're wrong, vertically integrated control fanatic hierarchy. They would laugh if you were so naive as to offer them any advice.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Johnson Brothers full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

*Work Schedule is very flexible, great Benefits. Family-owned wine, spirits company.

Cons

We have some great people who are nothing but all-stars at their jobs. But that doesn't necessarily mean they were built (or really want) to move into management. And that's one of the biggest mistakes we make as leaders. We take a good worker, make them a manager, and then give them no tools or resources to succeed. Then when things go bad, we blame them instead of looking in the mirror and blaming ourselves.

About 80% of available jobs are never advertised. The purpose of posting the job internally is to give all qualified applicants the opportunity to interview for the position. By not posting the job, you are giving only one employee the opportunity to interview for the position.

Decent Company

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Johnson Brothers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Work/Life Balance.
    Free Booze for the sales reps.

Cons

Terrible Car/Gas Allowance
    Very little training

Territory Manager

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Johnson Brothers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Make your own Schedule, hard work make time goes fast.

Cons

New Middle Management. Need to be connected to get a promotion.

Be an open book You will get more from your Employees

HORRIBLE

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Johnson Brothers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Only pros are if you are in management.

Cons

This the single most SHADY company I have ever been associated with. Unless you are a manager, or kissing up to one, you will be treated like garbage. They do not care about the employees - only about $$. I've seen sexual harassment cases be overlooked, employees not paid just so managers can make more.

Clean house management wise - there is more corruption and shadiness that I have ever seen. I wouldnt recommend JBrothers to ANYONE.

Describe my experience working here? In a word, frustrating!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Johnson Brothers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

OK pay as long as they don't mess with your commission. Decent hours and good perks.

Cons

They will mess with your commission. They aren't on top of paying out incentives for employees or customers and they alternate a laid back attitude andcrazy expectations.

Listen to employees. Don't adjust commission rates to pay for needless extra middle management.

On you own.

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Johnson Brothers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You are not at a desk.

Cons

Little training and hitting quotas is all that matters.

Treat employees with respect.

Pretty mediocre company

Former Employee - Developer in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Developer in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Johnson Brothers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are great. Low pressure to perform well. Pretty decent work life balance. You can screw around for days and no one would notice. Free booze in the lunch room. They spend money on technology (however, they never fully implement it)

Cons

The CIO is not innovative. He is content copying what others opposed to being an industry leader. The only way the IT Dept can get raises is to get another offer from another company, and hope the company matches it.

Listen to your employees, you hire them for a reason. Pay them accordingly. It costs a lot of money to replace employees.