Johnson Controls

www.johnsoncontrols.com

Johnson Controls Reviews in Holland, MI

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Alex A. Molinaroli

Pros
  • Great company, good benefits, high level experience with high level management(in 32 reviews)

• Good work-life balance (not true for all projects, depends on position also)(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is good if you are not traveling much(in 23 reviews)

• Numerous levels of upper management with people or structure changing every 1 to 2 years(in 16 reviews)

27 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great experience for intern student

Industrial Designer (Former Employee) Holland, MI

ProsGreat company and co-workers. They are really supportive and giving. When I had internship in advance design studio, I got involved to their projects. They listen to your project and give great advice. It's good for student first step into the real industry.

ConsI've been in Holland Mi. It's quiet and small town near Lake Michigan. I think it's bad for a designer. As a designer, I would rather stay in a big city, that world trend and info will be easy to reach. I would love to have more trendy things in my daily life.

It's really great!!

Senior IT Analyst (Current Employee) Holland, MI

ProsAs long as you complete your work and available when an issue occurs, no one cares if you are in or out.

ConsNot I can think of

Tough time working as an engineer for

Senior Product Engineer (Former Employee) Holland, MI

ProsThe people are great and will help work through any issues that come up. Day to day interactions are friendly and there is a great support community. There is a lot of movement in the organization so there is some opportunity for advancement, but you really have to work for it.

ConsThe leadership is very strongly focused on financial metrics and operations focus. There is not much of a bottom up approach to getting things done the right way. It is a struggle to get focus on technology and the correct technical solutions to problems. There are directives pushed down and a constant drive to be more budget focused and cost effective and to stay on schedule.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake this a better place to work for the people. They are motivated, but they need to be inspired to get the best out of them.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Experience, Good Company

Quality Engineer (Former Employee) Holland, MI

ProsGood pay, benefits and perks. Big company, with lots of opportunities. You can learn a lot in a very short amount of time, everyday there is something different or new to work on. Fast paced environment, things move pretty quickly. I really liked the people I worked with, which made the job that much better. People are friendly and actually hang out after work. It's in a good location. Enjoyed going to work everyday, actually kind of miss it!

ConsHR is slow to hire and get paperwork done. Some overtime is required during certain times. We worked some Saturdays, but got paid for the overtime so not a big deal. Can be stressful at times which may be a con for some people, but I enjoyed it.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on the fundamental quality principals that are in place and actually enforce them. Things would improve greatly if the enforcement came from the top down. Follow through on promises. Earn the respect of the employees.

Product engineer in interiors group.

Product Engineer (Current Employee) Holland, MI

ProsLower management cares about employees and tries to maintain a small company feel. Numerous positions within the organization so you may be able to transfer to another group to try something new.

ConsAutomotive division is in flux with electronics being sold, visors & headliners being sold, and a joint venture happening soon for interiors. Many people are nervous about losing their job or the Holland facility closing. Although this can happen at any company, many people are anxious about not knowing the future of the Holland campus.

Numerous levels of upper management with people or structure changing every 1 to 2 years. Company has a "large company" feel.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut some layers of upper management. Stop reorganizing. Pick a structure and stick to it.

Good place to work

Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Holland, MI

Prosgreat people, good communication from management, focus on quality. Management tends to be very supportive of it's employees.

Constends to run very lean, can be tough to get enough help on projects. Also sometimes is short sighted on projects, not always giving their full support.

Educational

Production Supervisor (Former Employee) Holland, MI

ProsPay rate and overtime offered a lot

ConsUpper management not having involvement unless discipline involved

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more employee involvement

Finance Intern

Finance (Current Employee) Holland, MI

ProsGreat people to work with, everybody was so willing to help

ConsMy department was sold during my internship

Lakewood (Holland) is a good 'ole boy circus

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Holland, MI

Prospaycheck and benefits, hard workers on the shop floor

Consunless you can make the inner circle, you are screwed in trying to complete projects

Advice to Senior Managementspeak with one voice and keep politics out of the equation and there can be positive changes made

multi-faceted

Sales Manager (Current Employee) Holland, MI

ProsGood opportunity to exposure to many different functions and responsibilities

Consshort resources, long hours and large expectations

Advice to Senior Managementthink of employees first

Worked for Johnson Controls? Contribute to the Community!