Johnson Controls Reviews

• Milwaukee, WI
  • Any Status
Employment Status

Reset
Johnson Controls Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer Alex A. Molinaroli
Alex A. Molinaroli

Pros
  • There is a very good work-life balance (in 21 reviews)

• Good benefits great pay growing company (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not as good (in 24 reviews)

• Constant changes in upper management (in 18 reviews)

Johnson Controls - leading the way to a sustainable future

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

JCI is a solid company with a long history of excellent growth, innovation, and stability. JCI has a distinguished past, beginning with its foundation in the late 1800s by Prof. Warren Johnson, inventor of the thermostat. JCI is well positioned for the future with its involvement in batteries for hybrid cars, automation of green buildings and energy reduction programs, and emphasis on sustainability. It has a diverse workforce, taking diversity very seriously. It also has a terrific set of core values and its senior management is stable with a solid vision of where they want to take the company in the future. It has excellent benefits, competitive salary, a good 401K plan, and its stock has out-performed the market and has split several times over the last 20 years.

Cons

JCI is a fairly conservative company. As such, it is slower to adapt to evolving workplace concepts such as flexibility in working hours, dress, tele-commuting, hiring of partially retired seniors, and so on.

Advice to Management

Senior Management at JCI has done an outstanding job over the life of the company (over 100 years). They have kept the company current, avoiding the "buggy whip" phenomenon of other rust belt companies that have gone the way of the Model T during the same period in history. My only suggestion is simply to continue re-inventing the company and its businesses and products, to allow it to continue to thrive for the next 100 years.

JOHNSON CONTROLS IN A NUTSHELL

Former Employee - Too Small of A Department in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Too Small of A Department in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

They offer you a lot of potential to grow.

Cons

They have no formal review structure and promotes people who do not manage employees well because they do not have a formal upward feedback program. While it is challenging and the growth possibilities are there, in order to grow you have to be driven. I was driven, but other companies actually wanted me for this, while Johnson sat on the sidelines and felt like they were just good enough to keep me. I feel if you are a good employee and you work for a good company, they they should show you that they actually want to keep you a lot.

Advice to Management

Start an upward feedback program and MAKE HR ensure that ALL EMPLOYEES get annual reviews. During my time there I actually had to ask HR in order to get a review.

The life of a JCI employee is professional, demanding, exciting and educational. A lot is expected.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

some of the best reasons to work @ JCI include job security, growth potential and learning opportunities. JCI is a (global company with a continuous stream of career opportunities across 3 global business units. JCI has a nicely diverseified portfolio of offerings, and the innovation culture ensures that this portfolio will continue to develop over the long term.

Cons

Working at JCI may just be the toughest job you'LL ever love, because it's long hous and low pay, but the people, facilities and projects have an energy that I haven't seen anywhere else, and I've been around.

Advice to Management

Find more opportunities to weave strategic vision into daily communication.

5. I'm very happy working at Johnson Controls.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

Johnson Controls has very good values and a very promising 10 year mark for the company

Cons

I really don't have much to say bad about this company, the only thing will be better medical coverage.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good job and very proud of the team that manages this company.

6. Innovation is an expectation in every role at JCI

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

Empowered Accountable Add value to the bottom line Expectation to be innovative in your job Continue to drive things forward - don't wait to be told Lots of opportunity True Global company

Cons

Career paths - not defined, but lots of opportunities Mentorship program

Advice to Management

I don't see retention as a big issue, but JCI does so many good things I see opportunity to focus in on retention from an employee satisfaction standpoint.

7. Lots of Opportunities - Personal and Advancement

Former Employee - Account Financial Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Account Financial Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Johnson Controls full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Complete confidence in my decision making.

Cons

Didn't always want to spend the capital that was necessary.

8. Highly rewarding

Former Employee - Program Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Johnson Controls full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Intellectualy stimulating, great salary and benifits , intraprenural opportunities, and visdionary management. These are all the reason I enjoyed working at Johnson Controls.

Cons

willingness to work long hours and travel where ever and when ever you are needed along with a willingness to do whatever it takes to get a job completed to the customers satisfaction.

Advice to Management

grow your Research and development groups and spend time thinking from the end in order to prevent technological supprise from both internal as well as external competitors.

9. JCI is a great company! Best in Milwaukee

Current Employee - Human Resources Professional in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Human Resources Professional in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Johnson Controls full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Innovative company with lots of growth potential

Cons

Hard to move up fast, need to be in lots of work and time.

Advice to Management

More focus on developing entry level workers.

Great Company, full of a traditional work hard dynamic as well as ambitiously seeking growth.

Former Intern - Market Intelligence Analyst in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Intern - Market Intelligence Analyst in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Johnson Controls as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great people -Great benefits -Ample trust and responsibility -Social responsibility to the community -Ambitious, always seeking new ways to grow business units

Cons

Sometimes communication through outlets could be ambiguous, but overall a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Keep the hierarchy on the same page, helps keep business strategy and objective clean and understood downstream.

11. payroll

Current Contractor - Payroll Accounting in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Contractor - Payroll Accounting in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Johnson Controls as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice place to work and great people

Cons

Don't have any weakness overall

Showing 141 of 1,032 reviews