Johnson Controls

Updated September 18, 2014
Updated September 18, 2014
3.3

Alex A. Molinaroli

Pros
  • Great company, good benefits, high level experience with high level management (in 32 reviews)

• Good work-life balance (not true for all projects, depends on position also) (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is good if you are not traveling much (in 22 reviews)

• Numerous levels of upper management with people or structure changing every 1 to 2 years (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

89 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

When I worked there running a division about 10 years ago, I thoroughly enjoyed running the Specialty Battery Division.

Former Employee - Business Applications Support Analyst  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Business Applications Support Analyst in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Johnson Controls as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Good solid company product-wise and established in Wisconsin

Cons

They Micro-Manage employees to death... I was on the Business Application Support Team and the manager told us we will start getting Reviews WEEKLY to go over our phone stats, listen to 3 calls to advise on improvement, and how to improve for the next Review meeting in a WEEK! Who gets reviewed every week on ANY job?? I quit this position, was the first one I've ever quit in my life of 20 Years of I.T. work!

I.T. professionals are adults, have experience, should not be handled as Newbies like this. It adds stress and un-needed negativity. WEEKLY Reviews? Really??

Uninteresting and meaningless job in a big company

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Engineer in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Johnson Controls full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Work-life balance is good - provided you enjoy your work.
    - Co-workers are generally nice but aloof.
    - Some good employee discounts.

Cons

- Not much scope for lateral movement. You get to see presentations of cool stuff, but will likely never get to work on that. Be prepared to get lectured by HR that they "aren't obligated to create a vacancy just for you".
    - Use of proprietary tools, can be very frustrating and are not transferable skills.
    - Work here for more than 1-2 years, and it can get hard to move to a different company. This is dangerous as the HVAC industry has only 3-4 established players.
    - Building Automation Systems space isn't really control engineering, which is what got interested me in the job in the first place.
    - Management's main concern is share price, don't think otherwise just because the CEO makes it a point to be seen in the same cafeteria as the employees.
    - Just because company is doing well financially doesn't mean you too will do well.
    - Impossible to get worse vacation allotments than what you get here. Also, supervisor might initially allow you to take all vacation days in one go, only to complain later.
    - Expectations increase abruptly and you are expected to know this even though you may not attend as many meetings as your supervisor.
    - This company couldn't even make it to the top 100 workplaces of Milwaukee.
    - No recognition for those who sacrifice being thousands of miles away from their home country to work here. Doesn't matter to Johnson Controls if this caused you to miss the funeral of an immediate family member.

Realize that the jobs you offer aren't as attractive as you'd like to believe.

My experience was like a roller coaster. There were untrusted upper management.

Former Employee - Shared Service Representative  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Shared Service Representative in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Johnson Controls full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Non-employees view them as a good company.

Cons

It is hard to advance.

Upper Management should be more understanding and trustworthy with employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

You are just a number

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Johnson Controls full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Not many these days. Some great, dedicated, smart and innovative people (which they are losing at an alarming rate). Pay is just ok for what you do. Benefits average.

Cons

Shareholders are number one priority. You are part of a headcount and nothing more. Regardless of your ability, talent, dedication and loyalty, you will be terminated if you don't fit in to the latest hare-brained reorganization or if the numbers don't look that good for the quarter. JCI used to be a forward thinking company and invest in its people. Not anymore.

You are creating and fostering a culture where people are resentful and constantly in a state of flux. There is a feeling of discontent, distrust and fading respect among your key people--you know, those people that hold the knowledge and the relationships that drive the business. Authority given to certain individuals with no oversight to make some really odd business/realignment/reorg decisions. You have lost some really good people because of it (forced and voluntary, I might add). You don't do what's best or right anymore and that's sad to see.

Global Workplace Solution - Horrible place to work - was

Former Employee - Global Work Place Solutions - Mid-senior Position  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Global Work Place Solutions - Mid-senior Position in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Johnson Controls full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great salary and benefits. Mid level people can be great despite terrible managers. Learned a lot because of survivor-like atmosphere.

Cons

No work life balance, lack of growth opportunities, no resources -- sink or swim. No one is accountable but want to micromanage and then point fingers if anything goes wrong. No training. Expect more layoffs if Management above GWS does not take an interest and fix the systemic problems in the operating model.

No appreciation of its people. Seen as arrogant in FM marketplace. Senior management will throw you under the bus after not supporting on tough to impossible assignments. GWS has lost its focus - too much overhead, internal bureaucracy, no accountability.

If you don't make any decisions, you will prosper

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Johnson Controls

Pros

BEnefits are good and there are plenty of problems to solve.

Cons

Senior management is clueless about real issues and professional level employees challenges.

Quit and work in government.

Not bad if you can handle the stress.

Current Employee - Recruiter  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Johnson Controls full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company absolutely allows room for promotion and growth. There's definitely a culture of inclusion and diversity among the team at Johnson Controls.

Cons

Employees are often placed under so much pressure to hit goals and deadlines that they take out frustrations on coworkers. The day to day operation seems bogged down with meetings and focus groups.

Take a breath and relax. Everyone on the team is motivated and willing to work. It's not necessary to breathe down the necks of employees to accomplish tasks that are recognized as high priority. It's not a sustainable environment.

Financial analyst

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Johnson Controls full-time for more than a year

Pros

Diversity
    Big company- ppl know about it
    Compensation isn't terrible

Cons

A very politic place to be in. Managers and senior management have their favorites.
    A lot of 2nd generation Jci people which makes it very difficult for ppl from outside to blend in.
    A very beurocratic environment overall.
    Almost All employees have a very low morale.

Stop favoritism. Give everyone an equal chance. Get involved in projects as well.

Old Boys Club

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Johnson Controls full-time

Pros

Decent pay, good benefits. Company values and leadership expectations are clearly communicated to employees. Good career paths for established disciplines.

Cons

Very difficult to advance if you are a woman. Extremely traditional culture where men advance regardless of merit or skill, and women are expected to admire them. Women must navigate a cultural minefield where they must be smart and and productive, but not threatening or aggressive.

Rigid managerial hierarchy. Non-performers are kept in leadership positions if they have good political connections.

Forget all the diversity groups, be more inclusive to women and minorities in everyday work. Join the modern era.

Chaos Abounds at the Milwaukee Business Center!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Johnson Controls full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of great people who will never get ahead because of office politics.

Cons

I am sure other divisions and departments are great but the cut-throat atmosphere at the MBC is exhausting and discouraging. It is a black hole of negativity. Managers are out of touch and phoney. If you are not part of the 'in-crowd' you will go nowhere. Worse than high-school!

Pay attention....you are part of the problem.............

Worked for Johnson Controls? Contribute to the Community!