Johnson Controls Power Solutions

Employment Status

Reset
3.3
Alex A. Molinaroli

1. Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Lead BI Business Analyst in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Lead BI Business Analyst in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Johnson Controls Power Solutions full-time

Pros

Great company with career grow opportunities.

Cons

During to growth the company is changing at a very fast rate.

2. Newer employese

I have been working at Johnson Controls Power Solutions full-time

Pros

JCI has some nice benefits such as major holidays and additional floaters off, they've just increased vacation allowance. The benefit package is pretty basic although they do offer a nice tuition reimbursement.

Cons

work hours, expect you to get miracles done with no people, no recruiting help, no real training on their systems. Turnover is fairly high.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people that have to work in these conditions.

3. 4 years in

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Johnson Controls Power Solutions

Pros

Coworkers are like a family. Most people are very nice and will try to be helpful. Depending on your boss, there is flexibility in work hours so you can have work life balance.

Cons

Difficult to get anything done, company says they are innovative, but they really aren't. Women (if promoted, since it is an old boys club) are promoted based on looks, not on abilities, or results.

Advice to Management

Stop the old boys club in senior leadership. Our customers have diversity in their workforce and we need it too.

5. Questionable environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Holland, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Holland, OH

I worked at Johnson Controls Power Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company is the dominant supplier of lead acid batteries to the major auto makers and has a strong aftermarket position through Interstate and other retail. Some good technology, smart people in many positions, good learning environment up to a point.

Cons

Extremely weak plant management, focus on short term "turnaround" vs. fixing systemic problems that have been an issue for at least a decade if not longer. Constant turnover, particularly with Plant Manager, Controller, Quality Manager, Maintenance Manager, and Plant Superintendent positions. In many positions, tenure of over a year qualifies for "long timer" status compared to others in the position before. Way too much overtime. Focus on "teambuilding" which really is nothing more than sugarcoating from management to do it our way or else. Lots of threats of "restructuring" management positions out for less than perfect performance. Salaries look good on the outside, but when adjusted for hours worked and stress, they are not adequate. Corporate only cares about hitting the plan, and much of what happens in the plant is focused on figuring out who can be blamed for misses.

Advice to Management

Enough of the whole "drop me in a pack of wolves and I'll come back their leader" stuff. Clear demonstrated lack of loyalty to good employees mean good employees leave and bad multiply. I left after getting fed up with the lack of progress and seeing so many good people abused by management. Great learning experience, but lack of adult management practices, goal setting, and scapegoating won't ever make the place a success.

Garbage

I worked at Johnson Controls Power Solutions

Pros

Pay somewhat decent. Mediocre benefits. Only good things bout company. Rest of its no good. Lot of activity that could get company shut down and everyone out on the streets.

Cons

Management treats workforce like crap. Endless hours. No personal life. Job security is constantly held over your head. Lot of young supervisors who think they know everything about stuff they haven't been trained on. Constantly going back on promises to employees. And everyone is expendable. If you don't fall into line and let them walk all over you you won't last. Expect you to follow safety procedures when convenient but will pressure you if it slows you down. So you have a choice. Wrote up for hindering production or write up for not following safety procedures that hinder production.

Advice to Management

Better pay. Treat employees better. Quit being conniving, backstabbing liars always trying to make up lies to fire ppl. Upper management should investigate operation procedures more closely at Middletown DAP. Lot of interesting activities going on up front that corporate would not like

7. Damand Planning Analyst

I have been working at Johnson Controls Power Solutions

Pros

Nurturing work environment, good starting pay, responsive HR, fast advancement opportunities

Cons

I don't prefer the location of Glendale, Wisconsin

Advice to Management

Continue as you are with your understanding attitudes

8. Great company

I worked at Johnson Controls Power Solutions full-time

Pros

My direct manager was great to work with. Worked on a great team and received fantastic support.

Cons

Upper level management is cold and calculated. One week we were told our job is safe, two weeks later our entire team was eliminated.

Advice to Management

Communication.

Great job for a production supervisor who wants to work 80 hours a week

Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Florence, SC
    Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Florence, SC

I worked at Johnson Controls Power Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good salary and competitive benefits. Advancement opportunities are available if you are well liked and don't stand up for yourself or your staff.

Cons

Working more than 60 hours a week almost every week, overtime is forced and when you tell someone you cannot come in your are fired (unless you are a union employee, then you can get fired multiple times and get your job back) HR is very unprofessional and will disclose your personal information.

Advice to Management

Become more professional, when your staff cannot cover any more overtime because they are exhausted step up to the plate and cover some hours. Not everyone can work 80 hours a week non stop in a 100 degree environment for weeks on end.

10. Love JCI

Current Employee - Intern in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Intern in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Johnson Controls Power Solutions

Pros

Great competitive culture. Train employees well. Always pushed to improve

Cons

I did not find any cons really. the program was great

They've lost their way

Current Employee - Product Engineering in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Product Engineering in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Johnson Controls Power Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, nice people below the VP level.

Cons

Way to lean for the amount of work to be done. VP's are out of touch with the severity of problems in manufacturing and the hassles of trying to get day to day work done. We'll lose a customer before they wake up.

Advice to Management

Time to reinvest in equipment to actually fix issues. Focus on morale in the plants, and quit bleeding the division dry.

RSS Feed </> Embed