Johnson Controls Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
3.2
Johnson Controls Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer Alex A. Molinaroli
Alex A. Molinaroli

Pros
  • There is a very good work-life balance (in 21 reviews)

• Good benefits great pay growing company (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not as good (in 24 reviews)

• Constant changes in upper management (in 18 reviews)

1. Janitor

Former Employee - Janitor in Here, Federation of Bosnia and Herze (Bosnia and Herzegovina)

I worked at Johnson Controls

Pros

Its ok and good benifits

Cons

The bathrooms are very dirty

Advice to Management

Clean them yourself

2. depends which division you work in

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Johnson Controls full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

ok benefits, very green and environmentally friendly

Cons

some areas of the business has too much politics and ego, definitely an old boys network and don't understand why certain senior managers still hold roles when results are not great. other parts of the business might be better

Advice to Management

focus on the work that you need to do, stop with the excuses and maybe then you could be more successful...so many meetings and not enough work

Poorly Managed Company

Current Employee - O&M Supervisor in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - O&M Supervisor in Phila, PA

I have been working at Johnson Controls full-time

Pros

Some really great co-workers who try to make a difference. The GWS division which I work for, is being purchased and will be taken over by CBRE. Hopefully this will lead to a great improvement in ethics and management. Lots of career opportunities.

Cons

Horrible upper management that often provide last minute directives and poorly implements new programs. An HR that does not back up supervision nor support employees. Pay is slightly below industry standards.I could go on and on.

Advice to Management

Quit!!! I would highly advise CBRE to eliminate any JCI management after takeover and start with a clean slate.

Awareness

Current Employee - Engineer in York, PA
    Current Employee - Engineer in York, PA

I have been working at Johnson Controls (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people. I really enjoy my co-workers.

Cons

No room to grow. Once you get a position, you are expected to be in that same job for years. Unless you know someone, are "buddies" with a senior manager, you will never move up. There is no "career path".

Advice to Management

Stop the "Good ol' boy" network. Change is good. You are afraid of change. The definition of insanity is?

Facility Management

I worked at Johnson Controls

Pros

Good benefits for a large company.

Cons

Not a good organizational structure for the group that I was associated with.

Politics

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Johnson Controls full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The internet isn't blocked. Seriously. That's the best thing about JCI on a day-to-day basis. If you love cronyism and playing office politics, this is the place for you. You can talk about how great the culture is...endlessly. Probably gets you a promotion. If you're big on high-fiving each other and showing pointless enthusiasm on things you won't benefit from, you'll love JCI. Company somehow gets rated in the top of ethics after the CEO has an affair.

Cons

Lack of consistency from management. Only chance for advancement is if you know someone. If you do well, you receive no credit. If you improve the efficiency of your job, your job will be eliminated. Under-utlilization is a specialty. Sitting around starting at walls is the best

Advice to Management

Consistency might be helpful.

Buyer Planner

I worked at Johnson Controls

Pros

it was close to home

Cons

very unorganized and not my cup of tea

This was a great company that forgot the people that made them great.

Former Employee - Senior Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Johnson Controls

Pros

The people you work with and the customers. Lots of good ideas.Good benefits, risk adverse. Well structured good tools.

Cons

Not enough resource to deliver the good ideas. To many strategies. Poor communication . People are not valued other than effect on bottom line.

Advice to Management

Improve communication and employee engagement. Stop trying to be something your not and focus on your employees and the local market. Recognise opinions and take a reality check you may not be as good as you think you are.

A One Ringed Circus

Former Employee - Service Sales Representative in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Service Sales Representative in Omaha, NE

I worked at Johnson Controls full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I honestly cannot think of one.

Cons

I recall overhearing an employee at the Omaha branch say to another "I wonder how long this one will last" during my initial introduction. During my first training event held in Milwaukee along with 35 other new sales hires, we were told by corporate management that the average tenure of a service sales rep was 18 months! As we later found out...here are the reasons why...

Marginal branch sales support as promised. No accounts with any true sales potential were ever assigned. The Omaha branch managements main focus was to insure all major accounts or projects were basically assigned to one person, and best of luck to the rest. This main sales individual made it clear that if he didn't get the lions share of opportunities (just so he could make it to the Winners Circle every year), he would threaten to leave, and take all of his customers with him. This same individual was known for starting office toilet paper roll fights, and placing phallic symbols on top of cube walls...all the while management laughed and looked the other way. Anyone witnessing this type of behavior would question who was really running this branch? JCI's project sales entry system was a pieced together archaic nightmare, taking at times days if not weeks to enter one sale tying up multiple people. Once you did enter a sale, you had to continuously check to make sure you recieved credit due for it because corporate conveniently tried to short you on your bonus payout.

The overall culture at the Omaha branch would be best described as cold / calculating, a real network of protecting the status quo...as if the message was "you don't belong here."

And they were right..

Most of the initial 35 sales people hired nationwide had endured basically the same treatment I did at their local branches. After 18 months, Over 80 percent from this sales group had gladly moved on. These were people like myself who brought forth successful sales track records from different industries, people who could of added significant value if give the opportunity.

My advice to anyone looking to advance their sales career with JCI is to keep stepping...theres not much to see here except a good ol boy culture that feeds off of itself....and where's the future in that?

Advice to Management

Try growing a managerial backbone and do the right thing. This company touts "Ethics and Integrity Everyday" all the while allowing all of the above to take place. And speaking of ethics, this review wouldn't be complete without noting that JCI's current CEO Alex Molinari made recent headlines being caught by his now ex-wife in an affair with the CEO of a company in contract with JCI. The JCI board members, which of course included Molinari, decided that there was not a conflict of interest here. As the SNL Church Lady used to say..."How convenient!"

Poorly run company (Building Efficiency in Milwaukee - Engineering)

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Johnson Controls full-time

Pros

* Decent health care benefits.
    * Some good people to work with.
    * Excellent work/life balance. I have never been asked to work more than 40 hours.

Cons

* Extremely poor management. A lot of time is spent talking about why things can't be done. People have left because of their manager, and nothing substantial is done about it. For some of the resource managers, it seems to be all about collecting people, not about organizing the business effectively. (There are a few good managers if you are lucky enough to get one of them.)
    * Very poor product management (with exceptions) in general. They usually don't have real business cases and often over complicate problems. Can be difficult to talk to.
    * Vacation policy is stingy.
    * No matter how exceptional you are, you are getting a mediocre raise. This year's raise was even delayed (demonstrating how little they value employees). Even if you take on a new position with more responsibility, you aren't going to get a raise.
    * Some employees that are toxic to the work environment are not let go.
    * No one has the guts to address what's wrong, instead we keep letting our good people leave.
    * Company talks a big talk about ethics, but if you search the internet for news about our CEO, you'll see why it's hard to take it seriously.

Advice to Management

* Get rid of bad employees.
    * Hire talent and pay for it.
    * Reward excellence.

RSS Feed </> Embed