Johnson Controls

Updated September 17, 2014
Updated September 17, 2014
3.3

Alex A. Molinaroli

Pros
  • Great company, good benefits, high level experience with high level management (in 32 reviews)

• Good work-life balance (not true for all projects, depends on position also) (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is good if you are not traveling much (in 22 reviews)

• Numerous levels of upper management with people or structure changing every 1 to 2 years (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Worst place I ever worked - salary/mgmt

Former Employee - Manager  in  Holland, OH
    Former Employee - Manager in Holland, OH

I worked at Johnson Controls full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most salary employees great people, but overworked.

Cons

Poor safety, nonexistent quality, no/little training (trial by fire), mgmt working in silos and don't have clear plan. Do your homework and really learn about the place if you want to work here. It is not for the average. Be prepared to work long hours and weekends and by yelled at/ micro managed constantly. Personally, I'd never work there again if the opportunity was given.

Stop the "beat 'em up" mgmt style within mgmt/ salary group, be fair, get a real plan. Improve moral and safety and quality culture. Stop working in little click groups.

Ridiculous , inhuman, slavery like company. The worst that I worked with. Worked for around years there.

Former Employee - Staff Engineer  in  Pune (India)
    Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Pune (India)

I worked at Johnson Controls full-time for more than a year

Pros

money. They are trying to shower it to people. Many time offering more than what the market standard is. Company provides family insurance, food coupens

Cons

MNC just for the namesake. It works more like small scale indian factory.

Managers/TLs/Lead engineers are worst thing in this organization. Even in white collar jobs they treat people like factory workers. Shouting on people, escalating small issues are regular business. Off shore counterparts (European ones) treats you like some third world country bug they have to work with. No proper training or project materials are provided still they want you to complete project.

No time-off policies even after working for saturday-sunday or extra time, they make you work for around 12 hours( 8 to 8 - Regardless of whatever they tell you on joining time). Could not able to see any day light while I was working there. The only place I could see daylight is from office window as my manager did not even allow to go out for much any longer tea break either. :(

Groupism is rampant. Locals have formed their groups. Outsiders are not preferred. Most of the high level positions are occupied by them also. If you are from same state, you may get good treatment, on sites, rapid growth, promotions etc. If you are an outsider, you hardly have any scope. They are around 80-90% in numbers. Diversity has neither practiced nor professed in terms of regional one.

HR never ask, never listen to anything. They are busy in hiring only. No retaining policy for employees.

it absent mostly in pune location. I doubt if they know that such center exist.

Poor place to work that could be so much better

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Johnson Controls full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent salary, excellent 401k and other benefits

Cons

Poor management that is completely out of touch, more concerned with manipulating data to fulfill spread sheet expectations than actual results and customer service. Sold a 12 month contract, dispatcher missed 3 of the first 8 SSV's, when questioned about this, she was told to miss them to increase margins by the Branch Manager. Poor leadership promotes cronies who are ineffective and sacrifice customer service for their own preservation. Turnover is unbelievable, at least 15 resignations in 24 months at one branch. Service, sales, engineering, etc.

Eliminate useless management spreadsheet jockies and focus on sales and customer satisfaction. Johnson Controls is it's own worst enemy. It's unfortunate to see another great American company manage it's way into obscurity and lose it's technical edge and market share to Daikin/Mcquay and others. How many layers of management are really needed to sell HVAC equipment and fix the ones that are broken? Johnson is a prime example of managers managing managers to justify their own existence. Unfortunately, the people who have the ability to enact change are wary of losing their own positions if sweeping changes were enacted. I truly believe that JCI will cease to exist within the next 5 to 10 years if the course does not alter.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Was let down big time from this big time employer

Current Employee - CSA  in  Whittier, CA
    Current Employee - CSA in Whittier, CA

I have been working at Johnson Controls full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Salary is by far the best from other companies in the area

Cons

Poor management. I saw a lot of waste and areas where company could save money. People are being paid to goof off, milk the clock, and not perform as expected. When problems arise within the company, managers turn a blind eye to it. There are too many meetings that are also a waste of time. This company is light years behind their competition. Headquarters is too involved, and offices are over micro managed.

When an employee brings a problem to your attention do something about it. Stop talking numbers. We all know that being in business means "Making Money", but must we there be constant communication about billing, what % are we at constantly???? - is that all employees are to you is a Number? All you managers are just bean counters. Do you really know what the "Many" Supervisors you have for each team are doing? I have the answer for you - "Nothing" but collected a big paycheck. Waste, waste and more waste!

When I worked there running a division about 10 years ago, I thoroughly enjoyed running the Specialty Battery Division.

Former Employee - Business Applications Support Analyst  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Business Applications Support Analyst in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Johnson Controls as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Good solid company product-wise and established in Wisconsin

Cons

They Micro-Manage employees to death... I was on the Business Application Support Team and the manager told us we will start getting Reviews WEEKLY to go over our phone stats, listen to 3 calls to advise on improvement, and how to improve for the next Review meeting in a WEEK! Who gets reviewed every week on ANY job?? I quit this position, was the first one I've ever quit in my life of 20 Years of I.T. work!

I.T. professionals are adults, have experience, should not be handled as Newbies like this. It adds stress and un-needed negativity. WEEKLY Reviews? Really??

very overwhelming and unorganized

I worked at Johnson Controls for less than a year

Pros

you draw a check weekly.

Cons

The training is not very good due to the fact they always give you a trainer that does not speak your language (English). When they throw you up in the ranks in two weeks because they realize you have every bit of knowledge to do the job there is no incentive. The threat that the bosses sit and tell people everyday they can fire you is not acceptable.

Slaves

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Johnson Controls full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good learning experience for fresher

Cons

live like a school boy

consider all employees as a team...at least do not consider as slaves

JCI is about one thing only, Profit..........not people

Former Employee - Systems Specialist  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Systems Specialist in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Johnson Controls full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Not many, I would say benefits are the one bright point.

Cons

Low salary for industry - Too much management for the number of field employees - Promotion based on who likes who, not who is best for the job - As an employee of JCI you are just a number and a pay check, your well being is not cared for by JCI - The stock price is more important then its people

Take care of your people - Happy workers make hard workers

Unbelievably negative atmosphere.

Current Employee - Assembly Line  in  Norman, OK
    Current Employee - Assembly Line in Norman, OK

I have been working at Johnson Controls full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people I work with at the York plant in Norman Okla. are very good team members. They will help someone, even if that person doesn't work in their dept.

Cons

The leadership team is the worst. They are very unorganized and try to pass the blame on the people on the floor. The buddy system is destroying us. They have created two separate levels of accountability. There is no team work. A horribly negative atmosphere.

Face and fix the issues that are destroying the plant. Most of which are sitting across the table at the 8:00 meeting every morn.

Just a number

I worked at Johnson Controls full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Compensation was okay-that's it. Met some nice people to work with.

Cons

Everything. You are treated as overhead, a number. Not an employee. They overwork you and there is absolutely no teamwork. Everyone pawns off their responsibility on someone else. It takes days/weeks to get an answer. NO ONE is proactive. Management/Factory is very reactive. You can't get an answer or get anything done to help a customer out until the situation gets escalated. Customers HATE dealing with 10 different people to get one answer. All of the customers I dealt with, said they hate the company, hate the product, but liked working with me. IT'S AN AWFUL COMPANY AND NOT WORTH WORKING FOR THEM. THEY DON'T APPRECIATE ANYTHING. THEY SET YOU UP FOR FAILURE...............AWFUL PLACE TO WORK. HUMAN RESOURCES DOES NOT HELP YOU OR RESPOND. TERRIBLE HR DEPT....

Take care of your employees. Work together as a team. Care about the employees you have. Take a look at the turnover rate................if it's high, something is not going right and that all starts with Management. Stop making promises you can't deliver on. Customers hate working with JCI. Everyone in this industry knows that. Everyone is this industry says bad things about JCI and says they have Re Org's every 5 years because management has NO IDEA how to run the company..................

Worked for Johnson Controls? Contribute to the Community!