Johnson County Community College

Fantastic Workplace

Former Employee - Staff  in  Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Staff in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Johnson County Community College as an intern for more than a year

Pros

The benefits are unmatched. An amazing place to work if you have a family. lots of job mobility.

Cons

Red tape and politics can be a problem.

Keep your decisions in alignment with the mission of the college.

Great employer benefits. JCCC moves at the speed of a cruise ship.

I have been working at Johnson County Community College full-time

Pros

Meaningful work, employee benefits, generous leave time.

Cons

Leadership doesn't get rid of low performers.

Leadership needs to deal with low performance issues.

Very friendly and progressive place to work.

Current Employee - Training Consultant  in  Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Training Consultant in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Johnson County Community College full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The staff is very friendly and always helpful.
    They are very progressive in their business practices and apply the latest leadership philosophies.

Cons

There seems to be several part-time instructors, which is an advantage since they bring real world experience, but it is difficult for the instructors to collaborate on projects.

Keep pushing to be best in class and continue the development of faculty and adjunct instructors.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Friendly working environment, lots of opportunity for personal growth, great students and staff, a tremendous experience

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor

I have been working at Johnson County Community College part-time for more than a year

Pros

Personal Growth: Even as an adjunct they offer full tuition reimbursement after your first year of employment. Lots of free training seminars to help bolster instructor morale and technique.

Perks: Free gym membership and a private library for instructor resources. JCCC has an extensive collection of informative DVDs and textbooks with additional online training subscriptions for free.

Company Values: Students are getting a terrific education for a fraction of the cost of some of the 4 year schools. I'm proud to work for a school that allows students to explore their options (if they even want to be involved in this particular industry) without breaking bank and feeling like they're in too deep to turn back.

Senior Staff: The head of department really cares, not only about the students, but about the welfare of the staff. He goes above and beyond the call of duty making sure that we're all taken care of.

Co-workers: Everyone's very friendly; strong sense of camaraderie.

Cons

Promotions: There are precious few opportunities for becoming full time staff (I attribute this to the economy & state funding).

Hours: Because we're adjuncts, we're restricted to 2 classes a semester which is unfortunate. It forces you to into a position where you have to take on another job, which can be stressful at times striking a balance between work & life. I still give it 4 stars though, because it wouldn't be a problem if there were more of an opportunity to become full time staff.

State Funding: Because it's a community college, they have to adhere to certain stipulations of the state which can be stressful. There haven't been any significant cuts in the department I'm working, but I think everyone's felt the pressure.

Amazing facilities,faculty and staff

I worked at Johnson County Community College full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Competitive Pay, friendly atmosphere,

Cons

Currently to much turn over in executive administration

JCCC can compete with 4-year institutions any day; the faculty are superior and committed.

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor  in  Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Johnson County Community College part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The environment fosters learning and collaborating. Faculty and staff work across disciplines to provide courses and develop degree programs that will serve students in the 21st century.

Cons

State funding has caused problems for all education institutions since 2008. JCCC has responded by making cuts, eliminating jobs through attrition, much like any other business. Leadership needs to closely examine the budget and earmark dollars appropriately.

Great Place To Work

Former Employee - Faculty  in  Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Faculty in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Johnson County Community College full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible hours, great benefits, working with professionals who care about students.

Cons

Being assigned to teach an early morning class and an evening class makes for a very long day.

Great institution.

Great for Adjunct Faculty!

Former Employee - Adjuct Professor  in  Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Adjuct Professor in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Johnson County Community College as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Pay, Free Continuing Ed Classes including Certifications, State of the Art Facilities and Technology, Accomplished Peers

Cons

None specific to JCCC- I had a great experience

Keep up the good work!

Good place to work

Current Employee - MicroComputer Technician
    Current Employee - MicroComputer Technician

Pros

Salary above market average for occupation
    People are great to work with
    Great culture
    Flexible with hours
    Retirement available
    Vacation hours

Cons

Full time positions and opportunities are dwindling
    KPERS is not optional
    Part time positions don't have healthcare options

I think that this is a wonderful place to work! A lot of the part time employees could be utilized in more demanding roles as full time employees.

I love working at JCCC and recommend but don't expect a full time job.

Current Employee - Kitchen Aide  in  Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Kitchen Aide in Overland Park, KS

Pros

Great people, some great benefits and competitive pay.

Cons

No health care and lack of full time positions.

Keep doing what you are doing. As much as I'd love more employment from you guys, I know it's not your fault for it.

Worked for Johnson County Community College? Contribute to the Community!