Johnson County Community College

Add Photos

Fantastic Workplace

Staff (Former Employee)
    Overland Park, KS

ProsThe benefits are unmatched. An amazing place to work if you have a family. lots of job mobility.

ConsRed tape and politics can be a problem.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your decisions in alignment with the mission of the college.

Very friendly and progressive place to work.

Training Consultant (Current Employee)
    Overland Park, KS

ProsThe staff is very friendly and always helpful.
    They are very progressive in their business practices and apply the latest leadership philosophies.

ConsThere seems to be several part-time instructors, which is an advantage since they bring real world experience, but it is difficult for the instructors to collaborate on projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep pushing to be best in class and continue the development of faculty and adjunct instructors.

Friendly working environment, lots of opportunity for personal growth, great students and staff, a tremendous experience

Adjunct Professor (Current Employee)

ProsPersonal Growth: Even as an adjunct they offer full tuition reimbursement after your first year of employment. Lots of free training seminars to help bolster instructor morale and technique.

Perks: Free gym membership and a private library for instructor resources. JCCC has an extensive collection of informative DVDs and textbooks with additional online training subscriptions for free.

Company Values: Students are getting a terrific education for a fraction of the cost of some of the 4 year schools. I'm proud to work for a school that allows students to explore their options (if they even want to be involved in this particular industry) without breaking bank and feeling like they're in too deep to turn back.

Senior Staff: The head of department really cares, not only about the students, but about the welfare of the staff. He goes above and beyond the call of duty making sure that we're all taken care of.

Co-workers: Everyone's very friendly; strong sense of camaraderie.

ConsPromotions: There are precious few opportunities for becoming full time staff (I attribute this to the economy & state funding).

Hours: Because we're adjuncts, we're restricted to 2 classes a semester which is unfortunate. It forces you to into a position where you have to take on another job, which can be stressful at times striking a balance between work & life. I still give it 4 stars though, because it wouldn't be a problem if there were more of an opportunity to become full time staff.

State Funding: Because it's a community college, they have to adhere to certain stipulations of the state which can be stressful. There haven't been any significant cuts in the department I'm working, but I think everyone's felt the pressure.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazing facilities,faculty and staff

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompetitive Pay, friendly atmosphere,

ConsCurrently to much turn over in executive administration

JCCC can compete with 4-year institutions any day; the faculty are superior and committed.

Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee)
    Overland Park, KS

ProsThe environment fosters learning and collaborating. Faculty and staff work across disciplines to provide courses and develop degree programs that will serve students in the 21st century.

ConsState funding has caused problems for all education institutions since 2008. JCCC has responded by making cuts, eliminating jobs through attrition, much like any other business. Leadership needs to closely examine the budget and earmark dollars appropriately.

Great Place To Work

Faculty (Former Employee)
    Overland Park, KS

ProsFlexible hours, great benefits, working with professionals who care about students.

ConsBeing assigned to teach an early morning class and an evening class makes for a very long day.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat institution.

Great for Adjunct Faculty!

Adjuct Professor (Former Employee)
    Overland Park, KS

ProsPay, Free Continuing Ed Classes including Certifications, State of the Art Facilities and Technology, Accomplished Peers

ConsNone specific to JCCC- I had a great experience

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Good place to work

MicroComputer Technician (Current Employee)

ProsSalary above market average for occupation
    People are great to work with
    Great culture
    Flexible with hours
    Retirement available
    Vacation hours

ConsFull time positions and opportunities are dwindling
    KPERS is not optional
    Part time positions don't have healthcare options

Advice to Senior ManagementI think that this is a wonderful place to work! A lot of the part time employees could be utilized in more demanding roles as full time employees.

I love working at JCCC and recommend but don't expect a full time job.

Kitchen Aide (Current Employee)
    Overland Park, KS

ProsGreat people, some great benefits and competitive pay.

ConsNo health care and lack of full time positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing. As much as I'd love more employment from you guys, I know it's not your fault for it.

I liked teaching at JCCC and enjoy working on contracts for them too.

Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee)
    Overland Park, KS

ProsThe faculty is composed of interesting people from various backgrounds. It is great to work with a diverse student body as well--varying in age and ethnicity. Many of the departments are great to work for.

ConsIt is hard to become a full-time faculty member if you start as part-time. Few positions open up, and the preference is to bring people from outside.

Worked for Johnson County Community College? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Johnson County Community College reviews and ratings. All 15 reviews posted anonymously by Johnson County Community College employees.