www.johnsonelectric.com

Updated September 23, 2014
Updated September 23, 2014

Johnson Electric Chairman and CEO Patrick S. C. Wang
Patrick S. C. Wang

Excellent multinational corporation that believes in continuous improvement

I have been working at Johnson Electric full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The organization is rich with diverse cultures. Focus change from being a product supplier to being a customer solutions provider is exciting and shows how well this organization is forward thinking.

Cons

The organizational structure is confusing by multiple levels of management without the proper staff support to meet the challenges necessary to perform efficiently.
    Each site uses a different ERP system with different general ledger processes, which makes it difficult to analyze variances across the region.
    Sometimes continuous change is counter productive without a clear focus on the end goal of improving efficiency and measuring real positive change.

Need to streamline the hierarchy organizational structure by uniting the regional heads to a common goal, which will benefit the corporation as a whole instead of fracturing the structure by having competing corporate focus.

Very top heavy. 19% SGA due to a plethora of SVP's

Current Employee - Segment Sales Manager in Plymouth, MI
    Current Employee - Segment Sales Manager in Plymouth, MI

I have been working at Johnson Electric full-time (more than an year)

Pros

salary; flexible work schedule; nice building

Cons

each chief has their own agenda and they are not all headed in the same direction

Less management the better

Former Employee - Research Lab Technician in Springfield, TN
    Former Employee - Research Lab Technician in Springfield, TN

I worked at Johnson Electric as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Well working here was a fairly enjoyable experience. There were people of all nationalities in the plant and the work wasn't all that hard. I worked in the lab and they were willing to give me a shot without formal training or experience at working in a research lab.The past jobs and post secondary education were enough to get my foot in the door and they were willing to show the rest of what i needed to know . My boss was younger than me and he was actually form the same hometown I am from , 3 states away. The company had a track record of hiring older workers.

Cons

I didnt find to many cons except that I worked contract and wished that i could have been told they were considering moving the lab north . I might have done something else before i stayed for over a year

Talk to your workers more and dont keep them in the dark

Your chances of being promoted don't have much to do with performance

I worked at Johnson Electric full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Relatively good benefits and good global experience depending on your position and whether you are part an extended global team

Cons

- Very poor top-down management
    - Often business decision have less to do with what makes good business sense and more to do with what would better align with executive management's idiological business beliefs and percentions
    - No alignment between top executives and often contradicting directives passed down the chain of management. When things go wrong, middle management often takes the hit.
    - Company has the appearance of a global organization but in fact managed like a family business

- Every once in a while ask employees' opinion instead of always telling them what needs to be done. Your employees are your biggest assets - start acting like it!
    - Great leaders surround themselves with people who tell it like it is, not by a bunch of yes men.

Good experience, lotta opportunities for improvement projects

Current Employee - Quality in Springfield, TN
    Current Employee - Quality in Springfield, TN

I have been working at Johnson Electric full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Still a company which is setting up business processes

Cons

Communication Issues and the Management is not close to the product or process. You do not find any manager detail oriented while setting up any processes.

walking through the shop floor is not enough but look at improving the system and asking "Why?" is important.

lack of vision

I have been working at Johnson Electric full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

some good people to work with, interesting challenges and lots of work and projects around the world in a company trying to move and grow fast

Cons

top executives don't collaborate, instead compete as rival fiefdoms to the detriment of the company. Many asian employees are about face-time, not productivity and actual work (e.g. how long can I stay at my desk pretending to work, but not doing anything efficiently). Top executives are paid very very well with extremely good packages, middle management not so much. lots of egos. lots of hide the ball and pretend problem goes away until it blows up (no sense of stitch in time saves nine).

nurture and trust your middle management. stop changing visions overnight and being wishy-washy. don't be penny-wise, pound foolish. shouting doesn't make you more right.

Maintenance Technician

Current Employee - Maintenance Technician
    Current Employee - Maintenance Technician

I have been working at Johnson Electric full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

To improve my technical knowledge. Work with the american peoples.

Cons

I dont think any downside to work with jhonson electrical.

Nothing

Challenges everyday a lot of growth

Current Employee - Project Manager in Springfield, TN
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Springfield, TN

I have been working at Johnson Electric full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

flexible, learn intensive, profitable, lean

Cons

workload, demanding, aggressive, poor hr

A great place to work if you are desperate and unemployed. Other than that, it might be best look elsewhere.

Former Employee - Salary in Springfield, TN
    Former Employee - Salary in Springfield, TN

I worked at Johnson Electric full-time

Pros

Decent pay, good amount of vacation/holidays, decent heath insurance, good people that work there.

Cons

Poor leadership, Poor Management, the plant is not aligned in goals, China is always right no matter how ridiculous their ideas are, ugly non-professional uniforms that have no place in the US, 30% turnover every year, disgruntled workforce, promises during the interview and job is nothing like described (bait and switch), fear that the company will close and move to Mexico or back to Michigan, zero career development opportunities, projects given that are just busy work and never amount to anything, no accountability,....

Remove some of the long standing middle managers with people that have LEADERSHIP abilities and knowledge of the automotive business. Align personnel to the same goals and direction. What is good for China is not always what is good for people working in the US.

Need improvement to retain talent!

Current Employee - Engineer in Springfield, TN
    Current Employee - Engineer in Springfield, TN

I have been working at Johnson Electric

Pros

Business growth opportunity with this company

Cons

- HR department that does not communicate for application on internal job posting
    - Constant politics between departments instead of getting the job done
    - Do not value its employee

- Step up, people is your most valuable asset!

Johnson Electric Photos