Johnson Financial

Updated May 12, 2014

Tom Bolger

People Matter Here

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Racine, WI

ProsThis is the most supportive, friendly company I've ever worked for or with. Co-workers and management truly want to see you succeed and will bend over backwards to help you get there.

The company not only supports volunteerism in communities, it celebrates and participates in it. Most of the volunteer work that is done on behalf of both the company and the Johnson family goes unrecognized. It is refreshing.

The leadership is actively moving the company forward with new technology and looking for areas of innovation and operational efficiencies.

SC Johnson employee store is, of course, wonderful!

Lots of encouragement from the company towards wellness, great rewards system, on-site fitness at the corp office, reduced club memberships and more.

ConsLittle flexibility in work hours and environment for those that don't need to be client facing, not as progressive as other companies. Every other company I've worked for has offered telecommuting or other flexible hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs we are moving towards being a more progressive company, consider adopting flexible working environments for those who will benefit from it, it improves creativity and loyalty. Some have long commutes and are happy to make them because we value Johnson Bank, it would be nice to know you trust us to work from home too so we can balance time with family too.

Phoenix-Scottsdale. Company with potential, lacks strong leadership.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPrivately held company is part of the SC Johnson Family. Has name recognition.

ConsNo clear vision from local management.
    Policies and practices from Wisconsin do not necessary align with Arizona Marketplace.

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement effective local management.

Teller Line

Teller I (Current Employee) Kenosha, WI

ProsThis job is not difficult. There is plenty of down time. The company itself is a great company!

ConsAs a Teller you are expected to do way more than you are paid for. you have make a set amount of referrals to business partners every month. Also you will never get promoted unless you meet these goals for at least 18 months straight.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize we are Tellers not business robots.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Company

Banker (Current Employee)

ProsSalary is pretty good for someone just starting out who does not have a degree. Awesome co-workers. Relaxed environment at the branch level.

ConsNot a lot of room for growth- very hard to move to other departments from what I've heard. Has recently become veryyyyy sales oriented.

Advice to Senior ManagementEase up on the sales tactics. Calling customers out of the blue to "offer" them a service seems pushy. Besides, that was never what Johnson Financial was about. We're supposed to be here for our clients in times of need. Not push a new product onto them at every chance we get.

Workplace of choice

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Racine, WI

ProsOutstanding co-workers, work life balance, opportunity to learn and grow both professionally and personally, have fun, ability to make mistakes and learn from them

ConsPoor salary and compensation plans, unrealistic expectations from management, location, location, location, minimal room for advancement, performance review program requirements

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage associates to measure culture and take tangible and measurable action steps. Accountability should be a two-way street, not only required by the associates.

don't drink the kool aid

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Racine, WI

ProsGood work/life balance. Good benefits. Access to company store, workout facility and daycare.

ConsIf you aren't in the "sorority" your life will be miserable. People that actually do the work don't get recognized. Instead, those that ACT like they work, succeed.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have lost a lot of good people in recent years due to the cons listed above. Analyze the trends.

JFG did a lot of things right

Applications Analyst (Former Employee) Racine, WI

ProsRaises were based on performance, not just market comparisons
    Management did a great job communicating with employees
    Senior Management Embraced technology
    Opportunites for advancement and willing to pay for education for staff

Consa bit "big brother" when it comes to internet access

Advice to Senior ManagementNo more lay offs

Undervalued and underpaid Tellers with a negatively evolving customer service environment

Teller (Former Employee) Kenosha, WI

ProsWhen you have a positive, involved supervisor/manager, worklife is very supportive and encouraging.
    Most Supervisors are extremely flexible regarding scheduling.
    Their health benefits are extremely expensive, but they will pay $330 towards a health club membership.
    Their 6 weeks of paternity leave is almost unheard of.
    Profit Sharing WAS a nice benefit, but that has been done away with for the most part. In 2010 and 2011, employees received $200 gift cards. 2012 brought a larger profit payout depending on duration with the company.
    The ability to buy SC Johnson products at cost is one of the only reasons I stayed there.

ConsDepending on the branch, and this is company wide, the working environment varies from being extremely supportive to extremely negative.
    Tellers are expected to bring in so much business and have so many responsibilities, but are the least valued employees in the company.
    The referral goals are unrealistic, at best, particularly considering the limited amount of referral types that qualify and the fact that the client base is usually pretty regular (meaning you see the same people day in and day out).
    Due to the the recent change in the banking industry, JB is changing their customer service model from client-centric to product-centric. Gone are the days when you CARED about your clients - now tellers are expected to look at the clients as purely numbers....how many credit cards you can get, how many NEW accounts can you get them to open, etc. etc.
    Some managers in the Kenosha area are extremely uninvolved and care more for brown-nosing their way to a higher position than fostering the talent that they employ (to the degree of essentially ignoring their teller line and any difficulties they have). Additionally, the manager(s) in question completely embody the "product-first" mentality of the current Executive Level management to the point where they alienated a long term client because they did not create enough revenue - when the client closed their account, she did it happily and without batting an eye.
    Their HR department is no more than a glorified execution squad. For the most part, branches will not see an HR representative unless someone is getting fired or is in trouble. Additionally, their hiring process is so over-bloated - it takes months to fill a position, and even then they don't always hire the best candidate (and usually because they try to low-ball candidates on salary). For instance, one of their Invest positions has been open for 18 months and the old Invest employee is working PT waiting to fully retire until they hire someone. Most of the Kenosha branches are so short handed on both the Teller and Banker lines, that customer service quality is being negatively influenced in no small part because the employees are so overworked.
    In many of the branches, cooperation and communication between tellers and bankers is limited - in some cases, bankers will act put-out if a teller has a question.
    Their year-end review process is horrible. It is essentially a self evaluation that is so bloated with silly corporate-speak that almost every employee that I knew dreaded having to work on it. Additionally, the man hours required to fill it out were actually a detriment to morale and customer service quality. As of June 2012, merit increases had STILL not been addressed - even though they were supposed to have been handed out by the end of April.
    Merit increases, particularly for the lower echelon of employees are a joke. For instance, on one Teller Line in 2011 (after the company not receiving a merit increase for 2010), even the most accomplished teller received a 1.5% increase.
    There is absolutely no consistency in following policy and procedures, and when a change is introduced, resistance from every level to the change is Herculean.
    Communication is subpar across the board.
    In 2008, JB was voted one of the best companies to work for. It held that distinction until 2011 and when it fell off that list, it seemed upper management could really care less. One of the overriding feelings in the organization from 2008 through to 2011 was that of the employees being a family. From 2011 on, there was no sense of teamwork much less family.
    They have been restructuring so much lately, that some of the upper level managers are redundant - yet they are kept on hand while excellent employees beneath them are let go.

At this point, if you were looking to get hired on in the branch level, I'm not too sure I would suggest it. Working in the corporate offices, from what information has been relayed, is actually quite pleasant. But I would highly suggest staying away from the northernmost Kenosha branches until a good, less sycophantic manager is hired.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease go back to the old customer service model: clients first, product a distant second. When I started working for JB, the clients and their needs were always, first and foremost, the most important aspect of everyday working life. Over the past two years, with the acquisition of more and more upper managerial level employees from the rival M&I bank, products are becoming more important than the clients and customer service is suffering because of it.

I had a great experience at Johnson

Teller I (Former Employee) Kenosha, WI

ProsFamily oriented
    Personal
    Johnson products at a discount

ConsEconomy
    Hard to advance
    Restructuring
    "Thats how we have always done it"

Advice to Senior ManagementThings are constantly changing, use this to build a strong company. Don't let things stay the same just because thats the way people are used to and thats the way you have always done things. Sometimes change is more profitable and takes less time in the end.

I loved working for JFG and was very proud to work here. The company is going through changes; the jury is still out.

Banker (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsOur tag line is "Treat you like family" and for the most part that's true - for clients and associates.
    Locally and privately owned with a long-term view.
    Outstanding Customer Service is a core value.
    Work/Life balance is important and encouraged.

ConsUnder the new leadership team, new hires have been - almost without exception - from management's former company; current employees' opportunities for advancement very much in question.
    Management - new and old - seem averse to advertising so we remain one of Wisconsin's best kept secrets!

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've got talented people who were almost fanatically devoted to JFG. We embraced our core values - look them up on the orientation booklets. Your actions speak louder than the words in you use in emails and town hall meetings. Make sure the people who are on board KNOW you appreciate their abilities, that you want them to stay, and there is a professional future for them with JFG.

Worked for Johnson Financial? Contribute to the Community!