Johnson Health Tech NA

Updated December 19, 2014
Updated December 19, 2014
3.7

Nathan Pyles

Good quality of life, but frustrating organization

Current Employee - Web Developer
    Current Employee - Web Developer

I have been working at Johnson Health Tech NA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice people. The company cares about employees and provides great support for health and fitness programs. Free access to an excellent on-site gym (with showers/locker room). Group fitness-related activities provide a way to meet people in different departments.

Cons

Poor communication between departments, and even worse communication between JHTNA and offices and factories in Asia.

A place that practices what they preach

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cottage Grove, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cottage Grove, WI

I have been working at Johnson Health Tech NA full-time

Pros

As a company who manufactures and distributes fitness equipment, it is especially rewarding that the management and staff are encouraged to stay fit and healthy. JHT employees are rewarded for working out with "FitBucks" (you receive one for every hour you work out) that can be cashed in for gift cards and merchandise. The HR team offers free Lunch 'n Learn sessions on various wellness topics, Yoga and Bootcamp classes are available, and you can participate in a run group or get an affordable chair massage (all offered at the office). In the summer, departments are pitted against each other to compete in the Yard Olympics, trick-or-treaters abound in the fall, and there are craft fairs and chili cook-offs in the winter. The environment is pleasantly casual and positive. While this all seems like fun and games, the staff works hard and output is high. Happy employees = hard-working employees.

Cons

Communication between departments has been an issue in the past, but management has taken a good look at this opportunity and is making improvements in this area. Teamwork is encouraged and is becoming more prevalent.

We're lucky to have so many employees with good and creative ideas. It would be great to act on those ideas more quickly. It seems to take a while for things to get through the "system." Thanks for allowing staff to work independently. It feels good to be trusted and valued.

Some typicalcorporate culture issues, but overall a great company to work for

I have been working at Johnson Health Tech NA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Health-conscious and fun company culture, decent perks, salary seems competitive, plenty of incentives for employees (paid for workouts, paid for carpooling, etc.), love the culture of continuous improvement, plenty of opportunities for lateral and upward advancement, some departments work in an agile environment, company encourages and facilitates open communication between employees and management

Cons

Communication between departments could use improvement, sick time is rolled up with PTO (not necessarily a "con" but good to know), some factory work is outsourced (not necessarily a bad thing, because we do have a global presence, but also a good thing to know if this is something important to you), there are some corporate culture issues (topdown vs. self-organized teams/agile environment)

Great place to work

I have been working at Johnson Health Tech NA full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great co-workers and managers! JHTNA does a fair amount of promotion from within, which helps employees feel like they have opportunities inside and outside of the position they were hired for. The wellness program is unmatched from what I've experienced and heard from friends who work at other companies around the area. They really care about promoting health and well-being in a fun way that includes a variety of people.

Cons

There are very few things that I'm dissatisfied with - I think there's room for some improvement of communication from upper management down to the company and recently I've seen more candid responses to real concerns and questions so that's a step in the right direction.

JHTNA is an exciting place to work with significant opportunities for professional growth

Current Employee - Inside Sales Lead Coordinator in Cottage Grove, WI
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Lead Coordinator in Cottage Grove, WI

I have been working at Johnson Health Tech NA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people are great especially upper management
    Fast-paced, innovative company
    Workout in the company showroom for free and get financial incentive to do so
    Opportunity to move up within organization

Cons

Entry level work can tend to get a bit repetitive. Also, people sometimes get upset when they get overpassed for a promotion.

Management gives people the opportunity to be successful by rewarding people with promotions for effective work.

Lots of positives

I have been working at Johnson Health Tech NA full-time

Pros

Johnson Health Tech is a good place to work. The wellness perks are really what sets the company apart in a lot of ways. We have a fabulous and huge fitness center available for employee's to use at any time with locker rooms, showers and a full towel service. Employees are incentivized to workout through a rewards program. People can workout at any time they can fit it in their work day based on department needs. The HR Team is creative in offering a variety of benefits and I also feel they are receptive to employees suggestions. Not everything can be implemented, of course, but you do feel like you are listened to.

Cons

As with many companies, some employees that have been here awhile fall in to the rut of "this is how we have always done things". With a more recent focus on Continuous Improvement, these two "types" of mindsets can put the brakes on progress. I wish that management was more aggressive in weeding out those employees that don't follow the company values.

Make sure all employees follow the company values, including themselves, or find someone that will.

As far as I can tell very employee friendly!

Current Employee - Call Center Representative in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Call Center Representative in Madison, WI

I have been working at Johnson Health Tech NA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free gym and locker room.
    Great starting wage for CTS 15.00/hr
    Lots of company provided fun and parties
    Kong training period
    No Weekends
    Overtime available
    Awesome co-workers\
    Totally casual can wear sweats and flipflops any day of the week

Cons

Too long of a hiring period, sometimes up to a year!

Keep up the great work!!!

Nov 26, 2014Director of HR

Thank you for the positive comments! We know that our employees are at the core of our success, and we appreciate your insights. We acknowledge that the hiring process for some departments ... More

Zero upwardmobioity

Current Employee - Customer Tech Support in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Customer Tech Support in Madison, WI

I have been working at Johnson Health Tech NA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great relationships with immediate coworkers
    Good benefits

Cons

No upward mobility, even after working there for two years
    No recognition for going above and beyond the expectation

Listen to your low level employees

Nov 26, 2014Director of HR

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts. We do truly value our employees, and want to give them the opportunity to professionally advance whenever possible. To that end, we post all open ... More

Do not treat all employees equal.

Current Employee - Logistics Coordinator in Cottage Grove, WI
    Current Employee - Logistics Coordinator in Cottage Grove, WI

I have been working at Johnson Health Tech NA

Pros

Co-workers become family and they all are very friendly...benefits are okay.

Cons

To much segragtion between departments.
    Not enough of personal praise for a good job done.
    you cant move up in the company

All employees should be treated equal in all departments should not matter if you are in front of the wall or in the back of it.

Nov 26, 2014Director of HR

Thank you for sharing your concerns. Our employees’ satisfaction is important to us, so we value input whenever we get it. Through our employee opinion surveys we have identified that ... More

Good communication, but not a place to move up in the world

I worked at Johnson Health Tech NA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Weekly meetings to inform you of issues or "wins"
    Free use of equipment
    Great programs to help promote a healthy life style
    Management does help provide a plan to help deal with "opportunities"

Cons

If you are friends with a manager, you are all set
    No moving up in the company
    You and your work is graded just like in school
    Very strict and no flexibility on breaks or time off
    Short comings are called out in front of the entire department or company
    Management breaks the rules they expect you to adhere to
    Quality control is greatly lacking on all products, this then affects all departments

Keep the communication going. Provide a ladder for hard working, loyal employees to climb, a real one, not just a promised one. Take a look at the departments with the most turnover. If you got rid of that manager and replaced them with one who listened to employee concerns and sincerely took them into account. Hire someone who does not yell like a child and who acts unprofessionally embarrassing many. Not only would you save money on their salary but the turnover rate would slow.

Nov 26, 2014Director of HR

We appreciate your insights – we’d like to take the opportunity to address some of your concerns. First, due to our commitment to our customers, it is important that we have appropriate coverage in ... More

Johnson Health Tech NA Photos