Johnson Publishing

Updated Jun 24, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Linda Johnson Rice

Working here has been great as an intern.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe digital department is such a small staff that you're able to develop a lasting bond and relationship with all of the stuff all the way up to the VP.

ConsFor interns, it's a lot of self-startup work which is a good opportunity, but I think interns should be allowed to rotate around the different departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire past interns

Leadership Life Support

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIn the learning process of my career, it was an awesome experience to work within the iconic business place that housed Ebony magazine, Jet magazine and Fashion Fair. Personally, I found it to be an awesome honor and privilege to have the opportunity to be in the world that John H. Johnson and Eunice Johnson believed in and created. I was lucky and blessed to have an incredible manager who became my mentor and whom I'd consider a friend. Meeting "the stars" when they visited was a big perk in the perspective that we got to talk with regular people that we've seen on stage. And the greatest thing, there were awesome individuals that worked there. Because of this company, I want to help repair and create a healthy morale in broken companies.

ConsThe con was management. It was heartbreaking coming to work not knowing who the leaders were beyond their titles. The majority of everyone that worked there has/had the same feeling- "The just don't get it." There was no extensive needed training available for workers to get better. There was no personal investment nor communication with employees that created an "I care about your needs and feelings." environment. There was an embarrassing level of care for visual advertisement the companies products. There were no honest conversations about addressing the concerns of the employees. There were times when the women in executive roles would talk down to their support team(s). Not every leader is a terrible person. The biggest problem is that the Johnson Publishing Co. system is struggling and is not well. Morale is dying, if not deceased already.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to each other outside of the executive offices and executive positions. Create small groups connected to your audience and your company team mates. That and more, or let go.

"Change happens by listening and then starting a dialogue with the people who are doing something you don't believe is right." -Jane Goodall

Transitional job at a transitional time in career for a company in transition.

ProsGood, friendly people to work with; opportunity to make an impact as they were going through operational and structural adjustments.

ConsCompany in transition, some antiquated methodologies that were in the process of getting updated and refined.

Advice to Senior ManagementIdentify the staff that is eager and conducive towards change

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Used to be a great company, not so much anymore...

ProsMost colleagues are great to work with, great location

ConsPoor company morale, lack of communication from upper management, no career advancement, under industry standard compensation

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in and value your employees, communicate better and stop being reactive - plan and strategize

Intern - Amazing environment, talented co-workers

Intern (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe environment of the office is amazing. Everyone is so friendly and helpful and you learn so much.

ConsThere were no cons to working with this company. My experience was amazing and I really enjoyed my time.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore opportunities to cover things out of the office

Awful experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsHistoric, iconic brand, great location

ConsWorking at Johnson Publishing Company was an unpleasant professional experience. Coming on board at JPC, I was under the impression that I would get the opportunity to grow professionally and be a part of a team of smart and visionary leaders--unfortunately that was not the case. I witnessed the company CEO belittle, berate and verbally abuse employees with little to no remorse. I observed the company CEO and other senior leadership appear to be uninterested in being leaders of "the people" but rather ruling through fear and intimidation. Additionally, the company's moral and enthusiasm was clearly non-existent, which reflects poorly on the leaders--this is all due to a lack of vision and direction. I continue to emphasize the poor leadership because that is foundation of any successful company. In my experience that primary ingredient is missing. I was incredibly disappointed, and would urge extreme caution if considering working for this company as you may come to quickly regret it.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in better department resources, figure out a way to create a work environment that is "fun" friendly so that employees enjoy their job, re-evaluate high company turn over rate, invest in a senior/junior leadership mentoring program so that you are building

Not what I thought the company was about.

ProsThe company was a stable in the African American community but rich history is slowly fading away. The cosmetic line has been revamped and potential could grow.

ConsLack of focus, management is constantly changing, no advance or pay increase.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to the senior employee and stop thinking the situation is to bring in your friends and paying them well while not have a decent retirement plan or merit pay increase

Neutral

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosknown in industry, certain perks although minor and standard. discount on certain products although not alot buts its a stepping stone to another company.

Consrevolving door management has been the trend for the past five years with this company and thus low employee morale.

Advice to Senior Managementrevolving door management has been the trend for the past five years with this company and thus low employee morale.

Good people..no advancement

Intern (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat people to work with and around. Very creative and friendly. Also the company is a great place to have on your resume. It carries clout and prestiege. Work here and you can work anywhere.

ConsAdvancement and pay is low. Overall the company is not taking the initiative and be current and modern. They need a complete overhaul.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport employees and remove old events that are wasting dollars. Don't layoff people without putting forth the effort and using them to the best of your ability.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWonderful history and incredible people

ConsIncompetent staffing and human resources staffing

Advice to Senior ManagementHandle complaints to Human Resources with more consideration

Worked for Johnson Publishing? Contribute to the Community!