Johnson Publishing

www.johnsonpublishing.com

Johnson Publishing Reviews

2.9

Linda Johnson Rice

Working here has been great as an intern.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Johnson Publishing as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The digital department is such a small staff that you're able to develop a lasting bond and relationship with all of the stuff all the way up to the VP.

Cons

For interns, it's a lot of self-startup work which is a good opportunity, but I think interns should be allowed to rotate around the different departments.

Hire past interns

Leadership Life Support

I worked at Johnson Publishing (more than an year)

Pros

In the learning process of my career, it was an awesome experience to work within the iconic business place that housed Ebony magazine, Jet magazine and Fashion Fair. Personally, I found it to be an awesome honor and privilege to have the opportunity to be in the world that John H. Johnson and Eunice Johnson believed in and created. I was lucky and blessed to have an incredible manager who became my mentor and whom I'd consider a friend. Meeting "the stars" when they visited was a big perk in the perspective that we got to talk with regular people that we've seen on stage. And the greatest thing, there were awesome individuals that worked there. Because of this company, I want to help repair and create a healthy morale in broken companies.

Cons

The con was management. It was heartbreaking coming to work not knowing who the leaders were beyond their titles. The majority of everyone that worked there has/had the same feeling- "The just don't get it." There was no extensive needed training available for workers to get better. There was no personal investment nor communication with employees that created an "I care about your needs and feelings." environment. There was an embarrassing level of care for visual advertisement the companies products. There were no honest conversations about addressing the concerns of the employees. There were times when the women in executive roles would talk down to their support team(s). Not every leader is a terrible person. The biggest problem is that the Johnson Publishing Co. system is struggling and is not well. Morale is dying, if not deceased already.

Listen to each other outside of the executive offices and executive positions. Create small groups connected to your audience and your company team mates. That and more, or let go.

"Change happens by listening and then starting a dialogue with the people who are doing something you don't believe is right." -Jane Goodall

Transitional job at a transitional time in career for a company in transition.

I have been working at Johnson Publishing as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Good, friendly people to work with; opportunity to make an impact as they were going through operational and structural adjustments.

Cons

Company in transition, some antiquated methodologies that were in the process of getting updated and refined.

Identify the staff that is eager and conducive towards change

Used to be a great company, not so much anymore...

I have been working at Johnson Publishing full-time

Pros

Most colleagues are great to work with, great location

Cons

Poor company morale, lack of communication from upper management, no career advancement, under industry standard compensation

Invest in and value your employees, communicate better and stop being reactive - plan and strategize

Intern - Amazing environment, talented co-workers

Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Johnson Publishing as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The environment of the office is amazing. Everyone is so friendly and helpful and you learn so much.

Cons

There were no cons to working with this company. My experience was amazing and I really enjoyed my time.

More opportunities to cover things out of the office

Awful experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Johnson Publishing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Historic, iconic brand, great location

Cons

Working at Johnson Publishing Company was an unpleasant professional experience. Coming on board at JPC, I was under the impression that I would get the opportunity to grow professionally and be a part of a team of smart and visionary leaders--unfortunately that was not the case. I witnessed the company CEO belittle, berate and verbally abuse employees with little to no remorse. I observed the company CEO and other senior leadership appear to be uninterested in being leaders of "the people" but rather ruling through fear and intimidation. Additionally, the company's moral and enthusiasm was clearly non-existent, which reflects poorly on the leaders--this is all due to a lack of vision and direction. I continue to emphasize the poor leadership because that is foundation of any successful company. In my experience that primary ingredient is missing. I was incredibly disappointed, and would urge extreme caution if considering working for this company as you may come to quickly regret it.

Invest in better department resources, figure out a way to create a work environment that is "fun" friendly so that employees enjoy their job, re-evaluate high company turn over rate, invest in a senior/junior leadership mentoring program so that you are building

Wonderful experience with the Company.

Former Employee - Beauty Consultant in Fort Carson, CO
    Former Employee - Beauty Consultant in Fort Carson, CO

I worked at Johnson Publishing full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Cosmetic brand is WONDERFUL!
    Be PATIENT, the economy is on an upswing....makeup is a stable staple in most womens life.
    Its my life-line!
    Take the time to see/ use the new items they offer you will not be disappointed.

Cons

PLEASE OFFER SEVERAL COUNTERS IN THE VIRGIN ISLANDS.Ill work for free!

I enjoyed working for the company. Please offer a counter in St. Croix USVI . (IT WAS AN HONOR)!

Not what I thought the company was about.

I have been working at Johnson Publishing full-time

Pros

The company was a stable in the African American community but rich history is slowly fading away. The cosmetic line has been revamped and potential could grow.

Cons

Lack of focus, management is constantly changing, no advance or pay increase.

Talk to the senior employee and stop thinking the situation is to bring in your friends and paying them well while not have a decent retirement plan or merit pay increase

Neutral

I worked at Johnson Publishing

Pros

known in industry, certain perks although minor and standard. discount on certain products although not alot buts its a stepping stone to another company.

Cons

revolving door management has been the trend for the past five years with this company and thus low employee morale.

Good people..no advancement

Current Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Johnson Publishing

Pros

Great people to work with and around. Very creative and friendly. Also the company is a great place to have on your resume. It carries clout and prestiege. Work here and you can work anywhere.

Cons

Advancement and pay is low. Overall the company is not taking the initiative and be current and modern. They need a complete overhaul.

Support employees and remove old events that are wasting dollars. Don't layoff people without putting forth the effort and using them to the best of your ability.