Johnson & Johnson Reviews

• Horsham, PA
4.3
Johnson & Johnson CEO Alex Gorsky
Alex Gorsky

1. Working here as an intern really helped adapt me to the professional world. I was an overalll great experience.

Current Employee - Intern in Horsham, PA
    Current Employee - Intern in Horsham, PA

I have been working at Johnson & Johnson

Pros

This company has a great company culture and offers you a lot of great benefits. Great compensation and other perks.

Cons

There were no challenges working here

Advice to Management

no advise

2. Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Promotional Coordinator in Horsham, PA
    Current Employee - Promotional Coordinator in Horsham, PA

I have been working at Johnson & Johnson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They take pride in their credo. They truly care for their patients.

Cons

Huge company. Can sometimes be overwhelming.

Advice to Management

Listen to your subordinates.

You really feel taken care of and are surrounded by genuinely good people

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Horsham, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Horsham, PA

I have been working at Johnson & Johnson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very big on mentorship (or I would even say "sponsorship") and growing employees. Open to new ideas. Company store/products are extremely convenient. Women's products in the bathrooms is extremely helpful and relives stress of having to carry necessary monthly materials on my own - you have NO idea how much this helps :) EXTREMELY flexible work/life balance. Very diverse and from what I have seen most people really LISTEN to one another and care. Meetings start out with viritual hugs - or even in real life hugs! The Credo is not just a marketing tactic - posted all over the office, in cubes, meeting rooms, reference throughout while making business decision. The patient really IS at the center of every single choice made.

Cons

Hard to get into, even if you already interned, but with persistence it can be done!

Advice to Management

We are on a great path - thank you!

5. No one forgets when you do something wrong

Current Employee - Manager in Horsham, PA

I have been working at Johnson & Johnson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people to work with. Very caring and supportive. Benefits are good and office environment very favorable.

Cons

Lack of promotional advancement. Encore awards are only given out to the "fair haired children" and usually for very insignificant things. Don't make the slightest mistake because they'll bring it up over and again and your entire year's performance rating will hinge on it. Big accomplishments and dedication are virtually ignored unless it's something that made the executives look good. Too much work to ever be successful or to avoid making little mistakes.

Advice to Management

Stop focusing on the little things; quit worrying about your own image and look after your people. The Leadership Imperatives supposedly weren't put in place to depress performance levels but rather to help those who otherwise wouldn't be recognized for their achievements get recognized.

6. Life has changes

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Horsham, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Horsham, PA

I worked at Johnson & Johnson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits and salary, good oppoitunity for younger employees

Cons

No longer follows the credo, more concerned with stock price than patients and employees.

Advice to Management

Culture has changed over the past few years, now longer following the credo.

7. My experience was very enjoyable and credo-based.

Current Employee - Co-Op in Horsham, PA
    Current Employee - Co-Op in Horsham, PA

I have been working at Johnson & Johnson part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture, People, Work-Life Balance, and Locations.

Cons

Compensation, Potential Layoffs, Poor performance.

Advice to Management

Great job.

8. The HR manager told us "We are not a premium pay company"

Former Employee - Medical Affairs in Horsham, PA
    Former Employee - Medical Affairs in Horsham, PA

I worked at Johnson & Johnson

Pros

Good place to start if you don't know what you're doing.

Cons

Ridiculous amount of redundancy. Salary and benefits near the bottom. HR issues outsourced to a company that required a PIN just to speak to a rep.

Advice to Management

Get lean and mean, cut half your staff, then let the remaining folks do some real work.

9. Low product pipeline only one real product for next three years

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Horsham, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Horsham, PA

I have been working at Johnson & Johnson

Pros

Good Benefits and company pension very good

Cons

Credo a joke for as much publicity the company reminds us
    The Call plan is really the only business plan that the company can design and it is not accurate
    Sad to see such a big company with so much potential limit itself with old ideas and not innovate

Advice to Management

Learn how to market in specialty care market instead of primary care mentality

A Mixed Bag

I have been working at Johnson & Johnson

Pros

The company still has a good reputation and attracts talented individuals. Co-workers are very good at what they do and take pride in their contributions. Pay and benefits are good and most people are very congenial to work with. Seems to have a great pipeline and unlike other Pharmas has not been majorly impacted by the so-called patent cliff. This year alone there have been 3-4 new product launches which is unheard of in today's Pharma companies.

Cons

Many remain in their jobs for a very long time without promotion or recognition. It seems that management would rather hire from outside versus promote from within. Even contractors tend to have a better chance of getting the job over talented permanent employees. Hiring tends to be either over-qualified or under-qualified and there's no HR support whatsoever. New hires often have to fend for themselves as management has no clue how to properly onboard new people.

As a manager, you end up doing much menial and tedious work and there's not a lot emphasis on making things better. There's so much CYA work that it becomes difficult to identify continuous improvement opportunities let alone drive through these changes.

The organization is also very heirarchical. There seems to be a belief that you have to be an Associate Director or higher in order to make independent decisions. Otherwise, you'd better clear it with those higher level people or you're in danger of disciplinary action. Management also tends to micro-manage as they don't have as much trust in their employees as they should have and are constantly following up to make sure you did what you were supposed to do and when you were supposed to do it.

Another problem here is the prolific decentralization. The concepts of strategic systems and shared services are foreign despite the inefficiencies it yields to have so many different systems and processes to work through.

Advice to Management

J&J's too big to be this decentralized and needs to develop a model of central controls with decentralized decision making in order to gain efficiencies and drive quality standards. Learn to trust your people - especially when they've demonstrated the capability to do good work without significant supervision. Look first to promote from within before you look for talent outside. Empower and hold your HR department responsible for doing their jobs effectively. And finally, develop a strong IT organization that focuses on supporting and serving the business.

A great company with a rotten culture. Don't work there until they weed out all the incompetent middle management.

Former Employee - Associate Director in Horsham, PA
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Horsham, PA

I worked at Johnson & Johnson

Pros

Solid name on your resume
    Great benefits
    Leadership is accessible, even if the follow through isn't great
    Decent office locations

Cons

J&J has really changed in the last few years. I am very proud to have worked with J&J, but I'm disappointed in their current direction. J&J has moved away from its decentralized model, and they've done a poor job of promoting/retaining their best people.

My initial experience was excellent. We were acquired by J&J. They left us alone, and they provided the finanical capacity for us to make some investments that we could not have accomplished on our own. Then growth slowed at other J&J companies, and J&J began to restructure. Longtime J&J employees began getting hired at our company. In fact, our management was told that they needed to find positions for many of them. The old J&J people then brought their friends with them. The problem with this is that the J&J people didn't understand our business. The decision making process became over-complicated and confusing. One external consultant warned our team that J&J paralyzes itself with analysis.

J&J became a very tough place to work. New jobs were posted that weren't really available... they had already been promised to someone else. The J&J people in managment filled their teams with people they knew regardless of whether the person was competent for the position. I asked one of my peers (a longtime J&J guy) why he hired one of his district managers. I had interviewed her (at the request of the national sales director) and I found her to be incompetent. I didn't know him very well but he said she would do a great job. She was a disaster and so was he. They both finished dead last in the national sales standings, and the morale on their teams was completely destroyed. Despite how terrible she was, they promoted her back in house. Her boss blamed the sales team. I knew several members of the sales team... they were not the problem. Even the district manager's former sales colleagues said they knew she would be a disaster. Both she and her former boss are still with J&J. There is no accountability.

I was truly sad to leave the company. J&J has some truly outstanding products. It is a leader in healthcare, and they are very supportive of their communities. However, they've protected bad subsidiary managers for too long, and these people have surrounded themselves with equally bad people.

Before I left, I tried an experiment. I stopped doing any work, and I just spent my time in meetings and networking. To my surprise, I was offered several new jobs. I wasn't even qualified for one of them, but the VP wanted someone he knew. I will admit it was tempting, but I couldn't do it.

I'm told J&J monitors these boards, so I'm sure they'll put a black mark on my HR file for writing this. I truly hope the company changes. I'm very proud of my time there. I wish I could have made a career in the company, but the culture is decaying and they show no willingness to change it.

Advice to Management

I hope J&J will realize that they have too many people in positions that they aren't qualified for. # of years at J&J should not be a criteria for a job.