Johnson & Johnson

3.8
1,477 Reviews

Johnson & Johnson CEO Alex Gorsky
Alex Gorsky

Pros
  • Overall work life balance is key within pretty much everyone I was in contact with (in 140 reviews)

• I was very excited to gain employment with J&J because it is a highly coveted company (in 125 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is not great and we seem chronically understaffed (in 59 reviews)

• J & J has steadily gone down hill in employee satisfaction over the last 10 years (in 88 reviews)

More Highlights

Review

Former Employee - Finance in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Finance in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Johnson & Johnson (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Food and people were great

Cons

Poor Customer Service and not friendly

Work!

Not what it used to be

Current Employee - Various in Raritan, NJ
    Current Employee - Various in Raritan, NJ

I have been working at Johnson & Johnson full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Competitive benefits and compensation
    Global organization presents varied experiences

Cons

Middle layers of organization getting condensed leaving very little opportunity for advancement beyond the Manager level. Highly political environment in which you will only succeed if you kiss up to those above you. No need to remain loyal to the company as they have proven time and again they are not loyal to you.
    Also, with the elimination of roles, the workload has remained the same so get ready to work lots of overtime. When I have asked management which of my tasks to prioritize, I have been told, "they are all important." How is that for leadership?
    Every function reports to different functional leaders so this is the place for you if you want to have no idea what the objectives are or the plan to achieve them. The goals seemingly change weekly. It is horribly run and I lost all faith in leadership. They don't walk the talk. They talk out of both sides of their mouth and you wind up with goals that are not feasible. They sound really good though. Ha!
    Most of the role are largely thankless. Despite putting in long hours and delivering against key projects, don't hold your breath for a pat on the back or a thank you.
    Your success is all about networking with the right people. Even when they post a position internally (per company policy), chances are they have already selected the candidate for the role.
    If you align yourself with the wrong people and they don't succeed, get ready to go down with the ship. I've seen it happen time and again.

Stop administering the credo survey. Given the results are the same every two years (lack of talent development, little opportunity for advancement, etc.), it seems like a waste of time. Further, I question whether the results are accurate given you basically have to identify yourself by name (company name, location, years of service with the company, function, job level, etc.). It is not anonymous as the survey claims. Find a new approach to get results you can figure out a way to improve. The needle isn't moving and the same issues persist year after year.
    Stop listening to and promoting those who tell you what you want to hear. Start holding leadership accountable to execute and deliver results. It's very sad to see what this place has become. It used to be a great place to work.

disregard for diversity, very low pay

I worked at Johnson & Johnson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

did not have good experience to provide pros

Cons

disregard for diversity, very low pay not enough for decent living

Mostly about 'fit' rather than quality of work

Former Employee - Assistant Brand Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Brand Manager

I worked at Johnson & Johnson full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The salary (for a new graduate I was making well above someone at 25 out of school)
    The 'name' (I was able to quickly find a new job after I left because I had J&J on my resume)

Cons

The hours (ridiculous hours- was expected to answer emails on weekends and at funky hours of the night)
    The management (once they decided, and usually quickly, if they like your or not, you are either in for a rough or smooth ride)
    Very cliquey (This is perpetuated by my point above, you either are a JnJ'er or not and your colleagues will react appropriately)
    To my 2 points above, if you dont 'fit' expect to literally be set up to either quit or be 'asked' to leave
    Status Quo (dont question it, especially at ABM level, or you will be seen as not a good 'fit')

The Dysfunction Starts at the Top

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Johnson & Johnson full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is truly challenging coming up with one pro as it's one of the most dysfuctional companies and that dysfunction starts at the top. Executives and management are unethical and got promoted for their unethical and illegal activty which is an active business model within Johnson & Johnson (example: Janssen/Risperdal company had to pay $2.2 billion for illegal kick-backs an off-label markeing promotion). Despite that, many of the employees (sales reps) are truly a team and are ethical and hard working but those employees get passed over (or purged) for those willing to play by the JNJ rules often times differ from the actual law, as noted and supported by the DOJ fine.

Cons

Management is unethical and their actions are often illegal where they encourage employees to engage in unethical and or illegal activity. Johnson & Johnson management manipulated facts in order to manipulate employees into misrepresnting products to physicians and the community. An employee questioning the manipulation or unwilling to engage in illegal or unethical activity on behalf of Johnson & Johnson may encounter intimidation, threats of job loss, and retaliation. HR is not there to protect the employee but rather the company and the shareholders.

Advice to shareholders: Hold the board and CEO and WWP of Ethicon accountable and do not reward unethical or illegal behavior (Janssen/Risperdal, Gynecare/Mesh, DePuy Synthes/Hips) with promotions of executives and put patients before profits.

The "Credo" is a joke. Don't buy what they tell you about it

Former Employee - District Manager
    Former Employee - District Manager

I worked at Johnson & Johnson full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Multiple operating companies so there is room to move across industries.

Cons

Intense pressure, inability to effectively launch and market products. Highly reactionary company that throws excessive amounts of busy work out while increasing other time / resource demands.

J&J is a law firm that markets products.

Hire the right people and get out of their way. Back your people up when warranted and stop being such a robotic, algorithm following machine. Context is important in life and is crucial in business. Stop throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Not employee friendly

Former Employee - Field Service Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Field Service Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Johnson & Johnson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good salary and benefits and co workers

Cons

Company philosophy is geared to stockholders

Put your employees first and they will take care of your customers and the stockholders will benefit.Employees are the backbone and face of any company and they should be the most valued asset any company has.They even value their stockholders over the customer and that is concerning!It is all about the bottom line.

Horrible place to work for

Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Johnson & Johnson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are not any pros of working here!

Cons

Has you working like a slave for pennies

STOP TREATING YOUR EMPLOYEES LIKE GARBAGE

Young job seekers look Elsewhere.......

Current Employee - Underwriter in Mount Pleasant, SC
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Mount Pleasant, SC

I have been working at Johnson & Johnson full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They have a good company culture "in theory". If senior management, would practice what they preach they could create a great work environment.

Cons

I have been working here 5 years, I came to this company with two years insurance experience after graduating college with a risk management degree. They talk about how we are growing and there is room for advancement...... what they don't tell you is, it is reserved for their 20 something year old kids. I have 7 years of experience and have not even reached the level of senior underwriter yet the 25 year old “son” with less than 2 years of experience is now a Vice President. The turnover here is high and only going to get worse, don't walk but RUN from this company…

Take stock in your good employees before you lose them, your actions speak louder than words. If you do not change your ways you will wind up with a company full of employees who are either too lazy or too stupid to go elsewhere. You want to be a billion dollar company, you are not going to get there this way

Going down like Titanic

Former Employee - Senior Scientist in Skillman, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Scientist in Skillman, NJ

I worked at Johnson & Johnson full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company store, co-workers, site was nice.

Cons

Everyone seems concerned with saving themselves, backstabbing, very unethical behavior and bosses that do not care about employees. Just dump the work on and see if they sink or swim. Ask for help and get a formal reprimand.

Read the Credo. Pay attention to employees. You are not trying to better your employees or department, but covering yourself from the ax that is falling.