Johnson & Johnson

Updated Jul 30, 2014

3.6 1,305 reviews

Johnson & Johnson CEO Alex Gorsky

Alex Gorsky

Pros
  • Campus is beautiful; work/life balance policies good; company store very convenient (in 123 reviews)

• I was very excited to gain employment with J&J because it is a highly coveted company (in 111 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is not great and we seem chronically understaffed (in 55 reviews)

• In consumer sector what ever Walmart wants is what J&J will do even at a lose (in 82 reviews)

More Highlights
1,305 Employee Reviews

very poor experience.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgood salary if you negotiate well before joining JnJ, promotions and raises are very difficult after that

Conspeople are just numbers. no respect to people. very closed to new ideas. old fashion leadership style. politics predominates over competence. having trouble to adjust and change to face new market/competition challenges

Advice to Senior Managementlook outside what others are doing/have done - stop benchmarking only internally. have the courage to say No , stop saying only Yes to bosses.

Product Director

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits (pension, medical, dental...), good salary, good location, some good people, opportunities to move between different op-cos, some good products,

ConsSenior management has no clue about what is going on, no strategic view, Credo is just the talk. Middle management is not strong in terms of technical and management, all is about politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo something that make sense, not just the "big" talk

Don't Believe the Hype - bad place to work

Regional Sales Director (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGood external image; it is false.

ConsLack of innovation, too much bureaucracy, complete disregard to customers

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of old management. Actually LIVE by the Credo, just don't mouth the words

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Contractors get treated very poorly

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsThere are non that I can think of. Their quality assurance folks think they run the company and don't care to hurt projects which ends up hurting alot of the business units. It is sad

ConsThere's no leadership and too many quitting or getting fired.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat contractors better, hire good managers that are qualified

Johnson & Johnson does not develop businesses

IT Project Manager (Former Employee) Menlo Park, CA

ProsI didn't see any pros to working at J&J.

ConsThe bureaucracy. The lack of integration and consolidation. The poor customer service in IT. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of your outsourced IT. It's not working.

Lack of leadership in the Pharma group

Global Marketing (Current Employee) Raritan, NJ

ProsGood salary and bonus structure

ConsCrazy global pharmaceutical leadership can't make up their minds, and when they do, it's often a lousy decision. They pursue deals based on poor decision making processes or based on cronyism and self-interest. Too many cooks in the kitchen on big deal decision making. Very poor decision making processes, very poor oversight of key decision factors. Too much politics and too much over analysis. Lack of empowerment for mid-level managers (Directors/Sr. Directors/VP1). Tight-knit clique of old-boys have their own exclusive decision making activities outside of the rest of the team who is doing all the work. Lack of trust has emerged among the general employees because of the overly sensitive, political atmosphere that permeates the culture in the global organization. Talent management is almost non-existent. Senior leaders pick favorites, and the rest of the folks get virtually no professional development or guidance for career advancement. Senior leaders for GCSO have zero leader presence. Even when they are physically present, they have low impact. They are much more interested in hob-nobbing with their management and trying to network for their own next roles, As a result, people don't really trust one another. Most employees are hunkered down just trying to make their pay, do their job, and make it to the next day. However, the smart ones who want to really make a difference are either stifled or simply get out. A few good ones remain, but are utterly baffled by what is going on around them. A pattern of employee survey results over many years reflects these sentiments very strongly. It's really unbearable.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the stodgy, old leadership in the pharma group and bring in some fresh, dynamic personalities who really want to build a world class business. Reorganize R&D and GCSO, so that GCSO is independent of R&D. Empower GCSO to be the decision maker without requiring absolute endorsement from regional leadership on long-term global strategy. Empower brand leads to make key decisions, while, of course, ultimately seeking endorsement from senior management. But give them the power to drive decisions, rather than the few in the exclusive cliques. Put the home of GCSO firmly in the US, and require the GCSO leadership to be headquartered in the US offices. Overhaul the systems and processes for strategic planning and decision making. Implement a real leader development and talent developmentt program that sets a new tone across the organization, so everyone is empowered to be a leader and strive for excellence in their roles and the roles ahead of them. Don't focus on survey result scores, but focus on leadership development, talent development, teamwork and trust. Look at your best competition, and find out what they are doing well, and the surpass them in those areas. However, ultimately, it's about leadership.

Like being in a cult!

Account Manager (Former Employee) Maidenhead, England (UK)

ProsSalary was good and rapid career development was offered for those who fitted the mould.

ConsJ&J prides itself on its Credo (essentially a mission statement) and they use it to promote the idea of an ethical organisation that is centred around the employee. However it is totally disregarded by the management on a day to day basis and discussion or creativity is actively discouraged. Anybody questioning the status quo is shown the door. Just as leaders of a personality cult use mind games to control their minions, the J&J senior management would deny departmental meetings ever took place and those who dared to question any unethical action were accused of not following the Credo!

Advice to Senior ManagementA change of culture is urgently needed at J&J, do the decent thing and bring the organisation truly in line with the Credo.

Equity Analyst- STAY AWAY

Equity Analyst (Former Employee) New Brunswick, NJ

Prosbig organization- if you put 2 years then chances of moving in different area

ConsWORST MANAGER & MANAGEMENT, Stereotype, people are working for 20 years and don't want to change anything

Advice to Senior Managementtry to provide real overview of job during interview. Give a better job description.

Extremely unprofessional and dysfunctional

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsName recognition is about all

ConsWork environment is demeaning and unprofessional

Advice to Senior ManagementBring HR to ALL meetings

The Credo is Dead

Analyst (Former Employee) New Brunswick, NJ

ProsYou may be lucky enough to work with knowledgeable, passionate, intelligent & dedicated people.

ConsUnfortunately you'll be working 60 hour weeks and on weekends for management that are a bunch of delusional, dysfunctional, immature, psychotic idiots.

Advice to Senior ManagementHa! This is a joke! If they don't listen to us when we share our feedback during the Credo survey, why would they pay attention here?

Worked for Johnson & Johnson? Contribute to the Community!