Johnson & Johnson Reviews

3.8
1,633 Reviews
Johnson & Johnson CEO Alex Gorsky
Alex Gorsky

Pros
  • Overall work life balance is key within pretty much everyone I was in contact with (in 140 reviews)

• I was very excited to gain employment with J&J because it is a highly coveted company (in 125 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is not great and we seem chronically understaffed (in 59 reviews)

• J & J has steadily gone down hill in employee satisfaction over the last 10 years (in 88 reviews)

1. little cooperation, too much red tape, poor management

I worked at Johnson & Johnson

Pros

good benefits and pay, not much else

Cons

very poor work life balance, competition between departments instead of working together.......

2. JNJ - a czech company!

I have been working at Johnson & Johnson

Pros

Hard to find. More like impossible.

Cons

Czech people who hate foreigners and only speak Czech.

They should all be replaced.

Contractors are not treated well; Pharmacovigilance

Former Contractor - Drug Safety Associate in Morris Plains, NJ
    Former Contractor - Drug Safety Associate in Morris Plains, NJ

I worked at Johnson & Johnson as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

A wonderful company where you can gain experience in terms of work

Cons

- This is specific for Pharmacovigilance side and the managers.
    The management is exceptionally rude
    - Contractors are not treated well. They are asked to do work and reprimanded infront of everyone
    - Lack of mutual agreement. in a team of 20 members, there are 20 ideas on how to deal with a case and the SOP has no value. But still the contractors are blamed for not doing something properly
    - Contracts are terminated all of a sudden without even a week's notice. Highly unprofessional. Have never seen in any other company.

With all the sign board on the walls speaking about treating everyone equal. I can only request the management to treat contractors equally.
    Also please have a clear idea on what you expect.

Contractors-2nd class citizens

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Brunswick, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Brunswick, NJ

I worked at Johnson & Johnson

Pros

As a contractor you will not receive any perks. I do not see any perks.

Cons

The double standards that managers have created in different departments. There is no work life balance for a contract worker. You are just a 2nd class citizen who does most of the work but does not receive any recognition. Even if you are a great worker you will not get the full time position. Recruiting needs to update themselves with laws and regulations. University recruiting is very strict with the contractors. From the stories I have heard, they are not allowed many things and are treated badly. Management seems to have no care or feelings.

Treat the contractors the same as your full time and part time employees. Enable contractors to work from home!

No Progression

I have been working at Johnson & Johnson

Pros

Good Salary and good work life balance

Cons

Store growing at certain stage

What a nightmare!!!

Former Employee - IT Specialist in Raritan, NJ
    Former Employee - IT Specialist in Raritan, NJ

I worked at Johnson & Johnson full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Salary seems to be 5-10K higher than market place.

Cons

A kind of propaganda was created that one must have been blessed in the heavens to work for JNJ. So, until you realize, you will hurt your emotional self by trying to adapt yourself to the toxic work culture. It may hurt your family and friends too. Completely unbearable work culture.

When you hit 50, beware your days are numbered. Top Management don't know what employees are doing and they blame employees for their ignorance, especially in R&D. HR IT supposed to lead the credo, but in here politics are worse than in Washington DC.

When company is doing so good, he let R&D lay-off employees in big numbers. Why will any one lay off employees with GOOD PERFORMANCE ratings/reviews. Alex seems to be a nice guy. Was it a christmas gift from R&D IT to CEO. 25% staff gone!!!

Extremely disappointed in what I thought should have been a great company!

Current Employee - Operator in Guelph, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Operator in Guelph, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Johnson & Johnson full-time

Pros

Learned that I don't want to work for companies like this.

Cons

Career advancement rarely happens in the manufacturing area yet it happens in other departments like a revolving door of advancement. The CREDO is not applied to this area either. People get bullied, lied to, merit not recognized (not rewarded for hard work, years of service or talent), management is not competent, not open to ideas, suggestions or complaints. Ultimately people in the manufacturing area (especially off-shifters) are treated poorly by day-shifters and the rest of the company...etc. I can go on for a long time but you get the idea.

Utilize your current talent (i.e. hire your university educated manufacturing operators into areas where their degree along with their valuable manufacturing experience would be of use), hire more permanent staff (stop stringing people along for years) and hire people without degrees that want to stay in manufacturing because you are burning out your trainers, demand accountability, stop promoting friends and family beyond their capabilities (peter principle), be more open and honest (and not in a condescending "we think you are children with no intelligence" kinda way - we see through the BS), be friendly with all staff ("green coats" are people too), fire the useless people (don’t understand how people get away with doing nothing in an 8 hr day), reward the hardworking, and PLEASE read the CREDO because it doesn't seem to apply here.

9. Review

Former Employee - Finance in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Finance in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Johnson & Johnson (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Food and people were great

Cons

Poor Customer Service and not friendly

Work!

Not what it used to be

Current Employee - Various in Raritan, NJ
    Current Employee - Various in Raritan, NJ

I have been working at Johnson & Johnson full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Competitive benefits and compensation
    Global organization presents varied experiences

Cons

Middle layers of organization getting condensed leaving very little opportunity for advancement beyond the Manager level. Highly political environment in which you will only succeed if you kiss up to those above you. No need to remain loyal to the company as they have proven time and again they are not loyal to you.
    Also, with the elimination of roles, the workload has remained the same so get ready to work lots of overtime. When I have asked management which of my tasks to prioritize, I have been told, "they are all important." How is that for leadership?
    Every function reports to different functional leaders so this is the place for you if you want to have no idea what the objectives are or the plan to achieve them. The goals seemingly change weekly. It is horribly run and I lost all faith in leadership. They don't walk the talk. They talk out of both sides of their mouth and you wind up with goals that are not feasible. They sound really good though. Ha!
    Most of the role are largely thankless. Despite putting in long hours and delivering against key projects, don't hold your breath for a pat on the back or a thank you.
    Your success is all about networking with the right people. Even when they post a position internally (per company policy), chances are they have already selected the candidate for the role.
    If you align yourself with the wrong people and they don't succeed, get ready to go down with the ship. I've seen it happen time and again.

Stop administering the credo survey. Given the results are the same every two years (lack of talent development, little opportunity for advancement, etc.), it seems like a waste of time. Further, I question whether the results are accurate given you basically have to identify yourself by name (company name, location, years of service with the company, function, job level, etc.). It is not anonymous as the survey claims. Find a new approach to get results you can figure out a way to improve. The needle isn't moving and the same issues persist year after year.
    Stop listening to and promoting those who tell you what you want to hear. Start holding leadership accountable to execute and deliver results. It's very sad to see what this place has become. It used to be a great place to work.

disregard for diversity, very low pay

I worked at Johnson & Johnson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

did not have good experience to provide pros

Cons

disregard for diversity, very low pay not enough for decent living