Johnson & Johnson

3.8
1,480 Reviews

Johnson & Johnson CEO Alex Gorsky
Alex Gorsky

Pros
  • Overall work life balance is key within pretty much everyone I was in contact with (in 140 reviews)

• I was very excited to gain employment with J&J because it is a highly coveted company (in 125 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is not great and we seem chronically understaffed (in 59 reviews)

• J & J has steadily gone down hill in employee satisfaction over the last 10 years (in 88 reviews)

More Highlights

Best learning experience I could have asked for!

I worked at Johnson & Johnson

Pros

The work environment is amazing! Everyone works as a family. There are so many people to offer help from and to learn from. I am so thankful for the amount of skills I have gained from this co-op. I was truly happy to enter the office every day and it was mainly because of the great people I worked with.

Cons

The technology is surprisingly basic. Everything is done from scratch off of excel. I think they are working on improving the software. I think some assignments were ridiculous because if there was a software the assignment would take 10 minutes, but because we have to create everything based off excel it may take days.

Improve technology

Rewarding, Challenging, but lacking mentorship

Former Employee - Brand Management Co-op in Fort Washington, PA
    Former Employee - Brand Management Co-op in Fort Washington, PA

I worked at Johnson & Johnson as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I loved everyone that I worked with, the company culture and values, and the experience that I received as an undergrad. I was also able to maintain a strong sense of work/life balance.

Cons

My team had never had a co-op before, so they did not know what to do with me. I had to take on a lot of my projects on my own, and received little help and guidance. I would have liked to see more mentorship, especially since this was my first significant work experience. At the end of my co-op, my manager said that she would have liked to see more from me, which was vague and disappointing since she did not express this to me throughout my co-op.

Johnson & Johnson is the best employer I have ever had.

Former Employee - Supply Chain Co-Op
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Co-Op

I worked at Johnson & Johnson as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

People are extremely friendly and always willing to go out of their way to help you. Many opportunities to get involved in the community; the company really cares about the Credo.

Cons

Sometimes work days can be hectic when things go wrong.

Great Company

I worked at Johnson & Johnson full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company has great pay.

Cons

You can expect lots of politics and long hours

Hire smart

Great Overall Experience

Former Employee - Finance Co-Op in Skillman, NJ
    Former Employee - Finance Co-Op in Skillman, NJ

I worked at Johnson & Johnson part-time (less than an year)

Pros

People were great and the company had so many benefits.

Cons

A lot of work expected but not enough workers.

Review

Former Employee - Finance in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Finance in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Johnson & Johnson (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Food and people were great

Cons

Poor Customer Service and not friendly

Work!

Not what it used to be

Current Employee - Various in Raritan, NJ
    Current Employee - Various in Raritan, NJ

I have been working at Johnson & Johnson full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Competitive benefits and compensation
    Global organization presents varied experiences

Cons

Middle layers of organization getting condensed leaving very little opportunity for advancement beyond the Manager level. Highly political environment in which you will only succeed if you kiss up to those above you. No need to remain loyal to the company as they have proven time and again they are not loyal to you.
    Also, with the elimination of roles, the workload has remained the same so get ready to work lots of overtime. When I have asked management which of my tasks to prioritize, I have been told, "they are all important." How is that for leadership?
    Every function reports to different functional leaders so this is the place for you if you want to have no idea what the objectives are or the plan to achieve them. The goals seemingly change weekly. It is horribly run and I lost all faith in leadership. They don't walk the talk. They talk out of both sides of their mouth and you wind up with goals that are not feasible. They sound really good though. Ha!
    Most of the role are largely thankless. Despite putting in long hours and delivering against key projects, don't hold your breath for a pat on the back or a thank you.
    Your success is all about networking with the right people. Even when they post a position internally (per company policy), chances are they have already selected the candidate for the role.
    If you align yourself with the wrong people and they don't succeed, get ready to go down with the ship. I've seen it happen time and again.

Stop administering the credo survey. Given the results are the same every two years (lack of talent development, little opportunity for advancement, etc.), it seems like a waste of time. Further, I question whether the results are accurate given you basically have to identify yourself by name (company name, location, years of service with the company, function, job level, etc.). It is not anonymous as the survey claims. Find a new approach to get results you can figure out a way to improve. The needle isn't moving and the same issues persist year after year.
    Stop listening to and promoting those who tell you what you want to hear. Start holding leadership accountable to execute and deliver results. It's very sad to see what this place has become. It used to be a great place to work.

Nearly 20 years working in Logistics environment.

Current Employee - Logistics in Lititz, PA
    Current Employee - Logistics in Lititz, PA

I have been working at Johnson & Johnson full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Equity treatment of employees. Above average wage and benefits. Focus on safety and maintaining industry reputation. Opportunities for advancement especially for recently hired college grads.

Cons

Decentralization allows for inconsistent interpretation of expectations. Dilution of talent base due to rapid advancement causes less experienced collegues to train their replacements and the cycle continues.

Decentralization can work provided everyone is aligned to the same standards.

Very satisfactory learning experience throughout multiple co-op opportunities.

Former Employee - Manufacturing Co-op in Lititz, PA
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Co-op in Lititz, PA

I worked at Johnson & Johnson as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Gained valuable project experience and day-to-day experience. Multiple rotations throughout J&J allowed for a good understanding of the supply chain from beginning to end.

Cons

No set co-op or intern program so it is hard to come back for multiple rotations or to transition to different sites for rotations.

Great Experience

Former Employee - Human Resources Supervisor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Supervisor in San Diego, CA

I worked at Johnson & Johnson full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People Oriented, Good benefits, Values and Culture

Cons

Too many transfers, lots of traveling