Johnsonville Sausage Reviews

Ralph C. Stayer

1. Great place go work and co-op

Former Intern - Packaging Engineer Co-Op in Sheboygan Falls, WI
    Former Intern - Packaging Engineer Co-Op in Sheboygan Falls, WI

I worked at Johnsonville Sausage as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Learning opportunities, real projects, helpful, make many connections, treated as an equal, great atmosphere.
    As a co-op, I was treated as an equal and was given my own projects. They were committed to my success and learning, which in turn, made me love to work for the company. They want to see you succeed both at Johnsonville, and in the future wherever you work.

Cons

It's a great learning opportunity and should be treated as such, because chances are they are not breeding for full time.

2. Current JVL employee

Current Employee - Logistics in Sheboygan Falls, WI
    Current Employee - Logistics in Sheboygan Falls, WI

I have been working at Johnsonville Sausage full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great working environment. Work life balance

Cons

Older management has extremely limited views on how to manage a 21st century company. Newer management great.

3. Intern

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Sheboygan Falls, WI
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Sheboygan Falls, WI

I worked at Johnsonville Sausage as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great practical experience, very friendly people and wonderful company culture, given worthwhile team and individual projects, felt like a trusted part of the team and was given a good amount of responsibility, not given just data entry and mundane tasks, very understanding in providing time off, given lots of development opportunities to learn from VPs and work in many departments.

Cons

Compensation could have been a little bit higher, but I was definitely paid in wonderful experiences. The only main con is that I couldn't spend more time interning at Johnsonville.

Advice to Management

Make sure you show that factory workers that they are valued and that you live the Johnsonville way

5. could be better but was decent pay just not enough hours

Former Employee - Traying in Sheboygan Falls, WI
    Former Employee - Traying in Sheboygan Falls, WI

I worked at Johnsonville Sausage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

during the summer its nice cause its cold in there and u dont sweat but it was a friendly place and got to meet new entertaining people and the work was at my paste and payed good and just like that you worked as a team

Cons

they cut your hours after a while at first it was ok but then you went from 5 days a week to 2 days a wekk and wasnt enough to make a living and the drive was pretty far from where i live the gas was expensive especially since they were only giving me 2 days a week and would call me off on my scheduled days. i was also placed in lunch room before shift due to high volume of workers (extra workers) because they had no where to place us sometimes we would be sitting in there for 1 hour or half an hour

Advice to Management

be perpared before shifts on where to place some of your workers (temps) and make sure to call before shifts if that person isnt needed at work that day. also dont hire to many employees that the ones who been working there or been there for a while there hours get cut. also be more flexable on your staff and you wouldnt have so many walk offs also more sanitary i seen people who puked or even where sick with stomach flu or head colds or personal female problems and werent able to go home due to your point thing you have when people call in go home early also you would think if you have extras everyday where people are sitting in luch rooms before shifts that the people who are sick and dont wanna be there but have to due to there 4 point strictions that they would be able to go home.

6. A Great Company With Some Flaws

Former Employee - Production Support in Sheboygan Falls, WI
    Former Employee - Production Support in Sheboygan Falls, WI

I worked at Johnsonville Sausage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent company values. A culture open to change, growth and challenge. Extraordinary communication between executives and the P2M teams (town hall meetings are a great example). The company genuinely cares about its members and shows it through GPS (Great Performance Share) bonuses, additional incentives, giveaways and a great benefits package.

Cons

Work-Life balance is not a primary concern, though it is often brought up as one. There are many initiatives to better the member experience, but not many actually come to fruition. Too much reliance on meetings and not enough action. There is a very strong urgency from middle management to create a conformity in their different teams. Unfortunately, this can have an adverse effect (most of the time resulting in pushing teams further apart).

Advice to Management

Spend some time determining whether those in leadership roles are doing so to be leaders or are simply padding their resume. There are some truly great leaders in the company, and then there are others who simply want to have "leader" on their resume. Don't try to push ideologies and beliefs as much on the membership, instead allow them to develop their own. Celebrate individuality as much as the Johnsonville Way does and you will get much closer to the goal of being "The Best Company in the World (that just happens to make sausage)".

7. Had an excellent experience working there.

Former Employee - Engineer in Sheboygan Falls, WI
    Former Employee - Engineer in Sheboygan Falls, WI

I worked at Johnsonville Sausage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful people, culture, and business philosophy.

Cons

Not some of the best decisions by HR or Sr management

Advice to Management

Need to promote the top performers and the right people.

8. This is a great place to work

Current Employee - EDI Systems Analyst in Sheboygan Falls, WI
    Current Employee - EDI Systems Analyst in Sheboygan Falls, WI

I have been working at Johnsonville Sausage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is a great place for advancement opportunities

Cons

salaries and and vacation on the low side

9. A growing company with a terrific brand name and a great culture.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sheboygan Falls, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sheboygan Falls, WI

I have been working at Johnsonville Sausage

Pros

Competitive pay and benefits. There is a bonus program available to all company employees (referred to as "members" at Johnsonville) based on company profitability and achieving improvement goals on safety, product quality, and customer service. A great culture based on teamwork, respect for every individual, personal growth, innovation, and accountability. Your opinion is sought after and valued.

Cons

The company is headquartered in rural Wisconsin.