Johnston Press

Be The First To
Add Photos

Johnston Press CEO Ashley Highfield

Ashley Highfield

I enjoyed working for a caring forward thinking Company, such as Johnston Press.

Press Leader (Former Employee) Portsmouth, South East England, England (UK)

ProsA Company which never stands still, always looking to the future, where leadership skills are rewarded, a Company which looks after its Staff, Interesting work, and modern equipment, Managerial Staff take an Interest at all levels, a happy environment, with Safe working conditions taking priority.

ConsIn the Press-room area i which I worked the work could be hot and sticky, especially during the Summer Months, but overall working on modern presses can be a joy, although when things go wrong the pressure comes on.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should make a point of understanding Staff concerns, and familiarize themselves with all aspects of the Job, from start to finish, so that there is overall knowledge of what work is done, enabling them to keep a finger on the pulse.

My experience at Johnston Press was largely dire. A dreadful employer who cares not one bit for its staff

Journalist (Current Employee) Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

ProsI honestly cannot think of one.

ConsWhere to start? Low pay; poor conditions; dirty office; inefficient computers; staff concerns ignored; jaded workforce; dreadful management and no structure; poor reputation; bad at paying on time and properly; woeful final products; departing staff not replaced adding to stress and pressure; the list is absolutely endless.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop destroying the products you produce. Look after your staff. Pay staff properly. Learn from mistakes. Learn from rivals who perform far better. Listen to staff concerns.

Stressed, over worked, bullied and underpaid

Media Sales Advisor (Former Employee) Driffield, England (UK)

ProsThe bonuses were okay when they actually paid them

Conseverything, the managers, unrealistic targets and fleecing innocent people out of money

Advice to Senior Managementscrew you.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsSome of the people were friendly but I think they were unaware of how bad their company is run.

ConsI was lied to about the role when I took it. I was told it would be a field sales role. We even discussed my home office in the interview. After starting the job, I was told I would have to be office based. The closest office was an hour away. When I brought this blatent misleading up, it wasn't even denied. The sales guys all work from different crm systems and are constantly treading on one another's toes. They also told me that my patch was untouched. It was far from the case. The whole company is stuck in the 1970's and the sales training comes from people who know very little about sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lie to get people on board.

Overall satisfactory experience

Advertising (Former Employee) Dundalk (Ireland)

ProsFellow employees were great to work for

ConsNo morale from managment, bonuses were reluctantly paid, wages were different each month and always had to be checked for inaccuracys

Advice to Senior ManagementTry not to cut the business to the bone so much

I had an enjoyable experience at Johnston Press

Newspaper Deliverer (Current Employee) Bedford, England (UK)

ProsThe pay was good and as it was an evening job delivering newspapers so i could fit it around my studies.

ConsSometimes the papers did not turn up on time so I would often have to deliver them a day late. Also, being an outdoor job, no matter what the weather I would have to deliver the newspapers.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice to give. Good job

Sinking ship

Advertising Production (Current Employee) Preston, North East England, England (UK)

ProsGood canteen. erm... plenty of free parking!

ConsSlow implementation of future (& current!) technologies. Pay freezes on already low pay. Short-termism (See reaction to £30m News Interantional Payout). Dreadful communicantion with staff. No rewards. No motivation. Sliding sales. Weekly threats of redundancy. Incompetent HR (See handling of out-sourcing).

Fun , Creative, hard work , not extremly lucrative

Field Sales Executive (Former Employee) Peterborough, England (UK)

ProsGreat office environment. good managers

ConsHard to achive any bonus , targets not generally achievable

Nothing like a newspaper

Administration (Former Employee) Portsmouth, South East England, England (UK)

ProsNo day is the same, always a challenge to be met

ConsNot many women in senior positions

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote more women into key roles,

Worked for Johnston Press? Contribute to the Community!