Johnston Press

Updated November 6, 2014
2.3

Johnston Press CEO Ashley Highfield
Ashley Highfield

Excellent company, with a few concerns

Current Employee - Team Leader in Sheffield, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Sheffield, England (UK)

I have been working at Johnston Press full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good wages, good bonus structure
    Enjoyable environment
    Good atmosphere
    Good social side of the business

Cons

Optional private health care would be nice
    Some managers are not good enough

Be very aware of employing managers who are just not up to the job

No thought for employees

Former Employee - Typesetter in Peterhead, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Typesetter in Peterhead, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Johnston Press full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great colleagues with good local knowledge

Cons

Moved the 'local' newspaper production 300 miles away

Supporting staff and appreciating staff effort and loyalty would help to motivate staff.

Daily grind without no chance of promotion

Former Employee - IT Helpdesk Support Analyst in Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - IT Helpdesk Support Analyst in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at Johnston Press full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The work was fairly easy without having to take work home with you. The shift pattern changed a lot since i started, for the better.

Cons

The work was mind numbingly boring, with other teams denying their are any issues so we would have to advise on the same thing, day in, day out.

Provide a clear progression for employees in IT. Also provide training to allow staff to better themselves.

a comfortable and secure place to work.

Current Employee - Optimization Specialist in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Optimization Specialist in Peterborough, England (UK)

I have been working at Johnston Press full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good pay, reviews done regularly, both for individual teams and as a company. understanding and caring managers.

Cons

different rules for different teams, flexibility in hours, health and safety. sign off by senior management is slow for us to progress with developing our team.

equality within and between other teams. flexibility in hours. recognition in hard work. sign off by senior management is slow for us to progress with developing our team.

Cut throat culture with little respect for anyone

Former Employee - Undisclosed in Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Undisclosed in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at Johnston Press full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pros of working at Johnston Press, the employees all seem to be in the same boat and hate working there which does make you feel slightly better in helping you understand that you are not on your own with your opinions. Great working hours.

Cons

The cut throat environment of the company is absolutely shocking, have I never before seen such desire and drive to sack and let go employees. The management team right from low level management to high level management seem to thrive of sacking employees. The turnover of new intake staff I would say is definitely above 90%-95%; which must cost the company thousands? I would say for an intake of around 30 new employees within the first 2-3 months at least 20 would be pushed into leaving, 5 would leave due to unhappiness and 5 would maybe remain to carry on only to a few months down the line be also pushed into leaving.

The management team seem to be extremely happy with their roles whilst everyone under management level seem to be actually extremely distressed and unhappy; very strange for a company of this size. The management teams would be in meetings from anything to 3-5 hours a day, but come back to their sales teams with no new information, figures, ideas or actually mention anything about the meetings they have together. A workplace where the employees can clearly see managers slacking, going on breaks every hour, coming back with Starbucks etc half an hour is not one where I would wish to work or for that fact anyone would wish to work; great if you can get a managerial position though by all means.

A sales environment with no possibility of hitting bonus or gaining commission. Of course a bonus is a bonus and shouldn't be expected, however; if there is no way of hitting a target, why have a target at all? Targets are extremely unreasonable here, print media is declining at a rate of over 12% however targets are higher this year than last year. The jobs at Johnston Press are all advertised as £24,000 OTE, on target earnings are great if your target is achievable if not expect your salary which often isn't advertised but imagine it be something along the lines of £16,000.

One of the big mistakes the company has and I do hope somewhere in the near future that they learn from is that the management teams treat there staff like idiots, by idiots I do not mean this in a condescending way I mean it in a way in which the management teams would clearly lie to your face and expect you to believe everything they was saying. I have seen employees shouted at and told firmly that their opinions are wrong with a 'if you don't like it leave' approach.

For anyone reading this who has applied or is thinking of applying for Johnston Press please be reminded to question your role and the day to day activity of the role. Quite often they will sell sales positions as more desirable "account management" positions. If you have fell for that trap you will know from day 1 were you will be cold calling businesses all day everyday.

Another big problem is that I feel Johnston Press price themselves out of the market massively. With the price of advertising in one of the newspapers being absolutely extortionate, 1 off adverts costing up to £2000 for example with the paying business getting nothing in return. Leaving no repeat business or very little in some cases, Johnston Press are relying on current customers to keep themselves going, each day losing one or two customers and not replenishing those with any new business. Modern businesses are finding other more useful methods of advertising and rightly say 'not many people are reading that paper anymore', 'Ive tried it before and it doesn't work'. Print has had its day and unfortunately it was quite a while back and everyone working in print seems to reminisce over those 'glory days'.

A very dreary work place, all the lower level employees are unmotivated and unhappy and are only there to feed their families and pay bills.

Have a complete restructure from the top, right down to the bottom. You will find a lot of the managerial positions are not needed at all.

Listen to your lower level employees, I have worked there 4 years and never heard anyone's opinion listened to, just mocked. You have some really talented staff with good ideas, these are the people who are doing the ground work for the company and have the current up to date day to day knowledge of the goings on; A lot of the ideas the managers have are just not helpful for the revenue of the company at all, very narrow minded and unwilling to change.

Understand that print media is declining and you are not magically going to keep grow and grow unless you make a drastic change which you are failing to do.

Please motivate your teams, why are you De-motivating them by having 2 hours worth of breaks everyday and only allowing them half an hour? It is wrong on so many levels, imagine if your entire team stood up and went to the local shops to get a coffee at any given moment; you would be furious. Treat people how you would like to be treated.

Advice for higher management would be to really look at the lower level management teams, the most eye opening experience within the company for me was seeing how many rules they had for lower level employees but broke every one of those rules everyday themselves. Is nobody tracking there performance as managers and what they are spending there time doing? Or are you going to sweep the problem under the rug by firing the team members instead.

What a terrible shame. The company could be great in the right hands.

Working for JP was good until they got greedy. Got £750m in debt and the employees have paid the price ever since.

I worked at Johnston Press full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You will sometimes get a free newspaper.

Cons

Everything has been cut to the bone and their is little or no money for anything, not even a Christmas Party. There is a lot of spin from JP but alas don't believe any of it. It currently has a financial book value of minus £400m - yes -400. It is going no where for the foreseeable future and is classed as a Zombie company in the city. It still has debts of £200m and a large pension deficit. There are much better managed companies to work for. Avoid.

Pointless giving advice to management... it falls on deaf ears.

Good Place To Learn

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Peterborough, England (UK)

I worked at Johnston Press full-time (more than an year)

Pros

JP was a great place to learn when I was there - you were given responsibility early and able to run with things. Some of the senior management are in the wrong positions as they don't grasp some of the aspects needed to take the company forward.

Cons

Compensation started well, but most people didn't see consistent progression. Office culture was ok, but mainly punctuated by the fear of cuts when I was working there.

Trust people below you, quite often they know more about the digital world.

I enjoyed working for a caring forward thinking Company, such as Johnston Press.

Former Employee - Press Leader in Portsmouth, South East England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Press Leader in Portsmouth, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at Johnston Press full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A Company which never stands still, always looking to the future, where leadership skills are rewarded, a Company which looks after its Staff, Interesting work, and modern equipment, Managerial Staff take an Interest at all levels, a happy environment, with Safe working conditions taking priority.

Cons

In the Press-room area i which I worked the work could be hot and sticky, especially during the Summer Months, but overall working on modern presses can be a joy, although when things go wrong the pressure comes on.

Management should make a point of understanding Staff concerns, and familiarize themselves with all aspects of the Job, from start to finish, so that there is overall knowledge of what work is done, enabling them to keep a finger on the pulse.

My experience at Johnston Press was largely dire. A dreadful employer who cares not one bit for its staff

Current Employee - Journalist in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Journalist in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Johnston Press full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I honestly cannot think of one.

Cons

Where to start? Low pay; poor conditions; dirty office; inefficient computers; staff concerns ignored; jaded workforce; dreadful management and no structure; poor reputation; bad at paying on time and properly; woeful final products; departing staff not replaced adding to stress and pressure; the list is absolutely endless.

Stop destroying the products you produce. Look after your staff. Pay staff properly. Learn from mistakes. Learn from rivals who perform far better. Listen to staff concerns.

Stressed, over worked, bullied and underpaid

Former Employee - Media Sales Advisor in Driffield, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Media Sales Advisor in Driffield, England (UK)

I worked at Johnston Press full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The bonuses were okay when they actually paid them

Cons

everything, the managers, unrealistic targets and fleecing innocent people out of money

screw you.