Johnston & Murphy

Updated Jul 4, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jon Caplan

this is a great company to work for

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat pay and good work life balance most of the time.

ConsNo raises. Competitive vacation and personal time. Health insurance is not that great.

Advice to Senior ManagementStore volume should be the most important component.

They'll screw you.....

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

ProsQuality merchandise. Decent health insurance & vacation pay.
    Great home office merchandising support.

ConsThey don't care about their people. It's all about the numbers, no matter how you get there. So many unethical & dishonest practices go in in stores every day, but as long as your sales metrics are up there, upper management will turn a blind eye. They have no loyalty to long time employees. The regional manager I had is a poor excuse for a leader, as was my store manager. If you can talk the talk, who cares what else you do.
    Don't ever expect a raise---"you create your own raise" is what you will hear. If your center is closed because of weather, you're getting screwed then too without pay. Sick days? Yeah those get paid at 60% of your average pay. This can be a good job for sales associates in higher volume stores or for management who cares nothing about ethics. Oh & the loss prevention is pretty non-existent, so go ahead & steal too. You're unlikely to get caught. For such a large company under the Genesco name, it's a joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind out the reality of what goes on in your stores. Decide that legitimate, honest selling is more important than fake results.

Totally based on commission, no advancement opportunities

Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Sevierville, TN

ProsExcellent product and easy work environment

ConsNever receive a raise, pay is based on commission. You will never receive a raise for performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your managers a higher base pay if you want results.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

"Thankful for the opportunity to be part of the team!"

Sales Manager (Former Employee)
    Louisville, KY

ProsGreat National Sales Meetings which allows getting to know the Leadership and Store Management Team!

ConsLack of Regional support on problem issues. Micro management styles and lack of understanding of the onsite manager and his/her style in getting top performance of personnel.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove in the Trust Factors of your management team at the store level when problems arise whether internal or external.

Great experience until upper management changed for the worse.

Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Customers great employees, good money.

ConsLots of long hours to work.

Ehh... I wouldn't work here if I were you...

Washington, DC

ProsAlways slow business so I could read, daydream, or do my college homework at work. Made some great relationships with frequent customers

ConsSuper slow and boring! Pay is pretty low. I was assistant manager and I was told my salary would average about 37,500 a year if I met my commission goals, however, that was impossible. Every 2 weeks, my checks were around 700-900. Not okay. $900 every 2 weeks averages to 21,000 a year. Terrible. My base pay was about 300 a week and commission was 4%. 4% in a slow store, are you kidding me? Working here was a joke. Almost like slave labor.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is terrible. Not much of a support team. You can't expect to pay employees nothing, but expect us to have the drive to meet outrageous sales goals.

All about sole.....

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCasual work environment, low stress level, higher average of professionalism for retail industry

ConsLower average pay for industry, low staff leading to low flexible schedules for management

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher pay and/or commission rates, higher incentives for personal achievements

Pretty Good Company

Washington, DC

Prosgood salary (for management), great merchandise, good discount (50% off).

Consit's retail. working weekends. commission percentage is low.

Good sales experience with good product and loyal customers

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Grand Rapids, MI

Pros- Great store managment
    - Good Product and Good Customers
    - Honest Seling

Cons- Commision could be higher

Low pay/long hours even for retail

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

Prosdecent health insurance, nice discount

ConsAlways bare bones staff, about 3 employees max if you are lucky. You work most shifts alone. You will be expected to work double shifts at times. I worked at an airport store and we did not have a bathroom in out store, they did not want us to lock up the store to go to the bathroom. We were not granted lunch breaks unless someone was at the store with us. I worked over 45 days without a day off at one period of time. I often worked 16 hour shifts (airport hours are different than mall hours). They consistently hired "just anybody" so we were left with bad coworkers that did not pull their own weight, did not know how to sell, task, or manage. Our district manager did not seem to have any knowledge or skills. She did not help us only diciplined us. Very low pay: $9/hr for Assistant Manager. Our commission was low because we had low traffic, so low (or nonexistent)... the store went out of business. I thought it might just be our store, but the 2 other stores in the city had all the same complaints. In addition to that, all the Genesco stores I shopped, (Journey's, Lids, Hatworld), all had the same complaints. They would often apologize for being slow because they were low on staff or they had been working 60 days in a row with many double shifts.

Advice to Senior Managementtraining, training, training...be slow to hire and quick to fire. always prospect for the right employees. Increase pay and employees might be happier, work harder, and stay longer.

Worked for Johnston & Murphy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Johnston & Murphy reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Johnston & Murphy CEO Jon Caplan. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by Johnston & Murphy employees.