Joie de Vivre

Add Photos

Niki Leondakis

It's Bigger Than Hospitality

I have been working at Joie de Vivre full-time for more than a year

ProsThere is a passionate group of people that work very hard to make a difference in the industry. They are humble and caring. The company is growing, which means lots of career opportunities and growth. You can make an impact, be creative and have fun! There is open discussion and the CEO (Niki) and leadership team are very approachable and willing to listen.

ConsGrowing quickly, so it can be challenging for the processes and internal procedures to keep up with that growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work! Try to continue to expand the benefits packages. Don't grow too fast. Protect the unique culture that you have been building for the past year.

Wonderful Company

Systems Administrator (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at Joie de Vivre full-time for less than a year

ProsFluid work schedule. Easy work environment. Great co-workers.

ConsNot an international business which is fine if you want to stay in country.

Awesome company with great values

Server (Former Employee)
Santa Cruz, CA

I worked at Joie de Vivre part-time for more than a year

ProsThe people that Joie de Vivre attract as employees make the experience. They are always upbeat and management looks for ways to improve the experience for them

ConsAs with most hotels there are a ton of seasonal positions, so turnover is extremely fast paced and makes it difficult to acquire full time positions

A very positive, warm feeling.

I have been working at Joie de Vivre

ProsHonest people. Compassionate, caring. Good vibes and openess.

ConsLight staffing, but there is a reason for it.

Overall a good experience in my career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Joie de Vivre full-time for more than a year

Pros-If you are hardworking, there is opportunity for advancement.
-Despite the issues I had with certain people there, my department manager is one of the best managers I've ever had. Received training I will use for the rest of my hospitality career
-Stayed at many great properties in the company, free!
-Made many friends and contacts. Referral bonus for getting friends hired

ConsPolitics.
Too many changes. After the merger with Thompson and Commune, it didn't feel like a small company or a big corporation, it was like an identity crisis.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not hire supervisors who say "I shouldn't have to praise people just for doing their job".

Growing company, new CEO making big changes

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Joie de Vivre full-time for more than a year

ProsGrowing company with the merger of Commune hotels. Opportunity for growth is expanding rapidly.

ConsCorporate office is going through so many changes which trickles down lack of communication to the hotels. We are not getting answers on a lot of the direction the company is heading, bonus plans changing consistently with lack of communication to external sales departments at the hotels.

Overall I would say Joie de Vivre was a pretty good company to work for.

Bartender (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Joie de Vivre full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI would say the best part about working for JDV were the people that work there. The hotel I was working at got purchased by JDV and they came in and made a lot of changes. All in all the changes they made to the hotel were okay. They made some renovations to the F&B outlets of the hotel and brought in a new chef ect.

ConsWhile I was working at JDV there was a lot of change going on in upper management which led to an atmosphere of uncertainty amongst employees. With all of the renovations I would have expected to see in increase in business but that was not the case. I feel like JDV could have done a better job marketing and advertising to bring in business.

Times are a Changin'

I worked at Joie de Vivre

ProsA brand with so much potential to go so far founded on basic principles of good, smart hospitality. A company that values letting its employees be who they are and in turn reflecting the identity of the hotel they work for.

ConsOver twenty years of successful leadership by Chip Conley and his team have come to an abrupt end. The culture of a company which was frequently recognized as the cornerstone of the success of Joie de Vivre is quickly being dismantled. New leadership is behind the times with Thompson's CEO at the helm. Industry reputation of the new CEO is nothing but negative in this close-knit industry of hospitality professionals.

The progressive attitudes that Chip brought to Joie de Vivre revolutionized the industry. Adopting from principles of profitable and successful established companies and having the daring vision and creativity of a fledgling technology upstart, new leadership doesn't believe in this model for success. Rather, leadership's first concern were that the staff weren't in a suit and tie. The first order of business was demanding business suits for all. No more calling each other by first name either - it's Mr. or Mrs. Such narrow-minded changes for a company with as much potential as Joie de Vivre were the best ideas yet to be offered. As a result, "Out with the new, in with the old" seems to be the way of thinking within the internal workings of the company.

Even hiring decisions are the lowest ranks must be approved by senior leadership who has never met the candidate but is known company-wide for their tirades about why they aren't good enough. Amidst these changes, never was a message given to the company at large about the strategy and direction of the brand. In fact, it doesn't seem that leadership knows what direction its heading in. What will become of the well-respected Joie de Vivre collection has yet to be seen. But one thing is certain - not even Chip himself knows anymore. He has effectively "checked out" of this Hotel California.

Lacks Management

I worked at Joie de Vivre full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMost staff are very nice.

ConsManagers are amateurs. No mentoring, training, succession planning, or even reviews. Good employees either get lost in the shuffle or wake up and leave to find a company they can grow with. Poor employees go unnoticed or tolerated.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire stronger managers or take the time to train managers to be effective. Hold them accountable for their departments. Do not accept sub standard managers because the GM simply likes them. Have stricter guidelines in terms of developing people & product. If you want to play with the big boys you need to train like the big boys.

By the way, Stephen Brandman is no longer CEO. You need to update your post...

Lost its Charm

Front Office Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Joie de Vivre full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLocations
Primarily located in amazing Bay Area.
People
The employees who have been working since before the merger (few and fewer as time goes by) remember what company used to stand for

ConsLost its culture after merger
Should never have accepted Prtizker and Geolo Capital buy. Down hill from there.
Doesn't care about employees anymore.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave Thompson Hotels. Bring back Chip!!!
Develop strategies to retain employees (pay, benefits)
Bring back Holiday Party.

Worked for Joie de Vivre? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Joie de Vivre reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Joie de Vivre CEO Niki Leondakis. All 18 reviews posted anonymously by Joie de Vivre employees.