Joie de Vivre Reviews

3.2
Niki Leondakis

1. Great Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Joie de Vivre part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employees friendly and some of the benefits are great

Cons

Better pay, more room for growth, and outdated equipment

Advice to Management

Upper management needs improvement some of them have been there too long and only see things their way and change is not an option in their view.

2. A Decent First Job

I worked at Joie de Vivre full-time

Pros

Working at smaller hotel will give you chances to take on responsibilities that aren't available to you at other hotel chains. Good for experience and resume. Management gives you consistent days off, which I hear is not standard in the industry. Laid back culture with low expectations, if you're into that.

Cons

JDV markets themselves towards job applicants as a company that provides an unparalleled work/life balance at the cost of high salaries. As a front desk agents, you get a low wages and a bad work/life balance, working varying shifts with half-hour lunches and dismal perks. You can get promoted much more quickly in JDV than in other chains, but they don't have a tradition of developing talent or formal education for a career path. HR couldn't give me a salary trajectory or a career path to the role I wanted. Because they can't develop talent, sell employees on a long term career path, or pay them livable wages, good employees often leave fairly quickly, leading to bad morale and being consistently short staffed. I developed a lot of soft skills and phone skills, but it was an unrewarding experience.

Advice to Management

Have serious internal conversations about how to retain more employees. Don't chalk it up to "it's the hospitality industry, there is always a lot of turnover," and call it a day.

3. Sales

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Joie de Vivre (More than a year)

Pros

Original cast of characters have big hearts.

Cons

Big hearts does not always mean you'll win in a very competitive industry. Needs much stronger owner relations and they have no vision on how to do that.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring ex-Kimpton people. Loyalty is earned not bought.

5. Spirit of Commune is dead

Current Employee - Anonymous in Santa Cruz, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at Joie de Vivre full-time

Pros

If you're a union employee it's nearly impossible to get fired and you get excellent pay.

Cons

Hard workers are not rewarded. Upper management is cheap, cutting corners by overworking managers til they burn out. Turn over is incredibly high. Upper management has a "just figure it out and get it done" attitude with little to no guidance or leadership.

typical JDV property

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Nice managers. people seam really nice at first. They will work with you on your schedule.

Cons

jdv hotels are always old buildings and jdv always acts like they are in the middle of owners of the properties and at the mercy of our economy when the face is that most properties are cash cows and they just don't reinvest. internet crashes, overbooking and managers playing favorites are my experience. also since the founder stepped down as ceo and jdv merged with an east coast brand, the sf corp. culture in the company had died.

Advice to Management

none

7. Fun changes

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Joie de Vivre full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice employee rates. 2 free nights every 3 months. Fun, funky, boutique hotels with lots of personality. Small company, no corporate BS.

Cons

Smaller hotel company, wages were not really comparable to the larger, more corporate companies.

8. Always Something New

I have been working at Joie de Vivre full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Growth within the company is highly attainable. -The people you work with are typically great -Always busy and now growing/expanding much more than before -Great support from superiors -People in Home Office (Corporate) actually take their time to answer your questions.

Cons

-Not 100% stable considering losing many properties within 5 years -Some management (definitely not all), need to improve on their practices and be more encouraging and supportive of their team.

Advice to Management

For the handful of managers that need to improve, remember that your actions speak louder than words. Your team looks up to you as a guide, and when you blatantly look like you don't care, that carries over to your team.

9. Great company, lack of employee Training

Former Employee - Sales Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Joie de Vivre full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Positive feedback from management, great customer engagement with guests, always make sure guests are satisfied and take care of on a daily basis.

Cons

Lack of management training, Limited HR resources, lack of training for career advancement, limited resources for employees looking for career growth.

Advice to Management

None

10. Good Companh

Pros

Work environment, values, work life balance

Cons

Corporate management not involved if not local to headquarters

11. Galleria Park

Current Employee - Front Desk in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Front Desk in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Joie de Vivre full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work at the Galleria Park, which is a Commune property. I think it's the best job I have ever had in my career. All the managers, including the general manager, truly care and they walk the talk. They make it fun to go to work. It is like a family in that hotel. The managers communicate well and don't have the elite attitude.

Cons

Other hotels in the company are not the same when I speak to other employees.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

RSS Feed </> Embed