Joliet Junior College

Overall exsperience

Former Employee - Student in Joliet, IL
    Former Employee - Student in Joliet, IL

I worked at Joliet Junior College

Pros

Flexible schedule. Great people to work with.

Cons

some schedule conflicts. Lack of communication

Keep up the good work

wonderful time and wonderful people

Former Employee - Lab Assistant in Joliet, IL
    Former Employee - Lab Assistant in Joliet, IL

I worked at Joliet Junior College

Pros

lie changing moments when you realize how much you have helped someone

Cons

job ending as quickly as it did

Give more opportunities to do this

Unhappy, unfocused environment produces unhappy, unfocused employees

Current Employee - Employee
    Current Employee - Employee

I have been working at Joliet Junior College

Pros

Competitive pay, opportunity to work and expand education

Cons

Toxic work environment. People do not care about students or their jobs. Employees seem very worn out and disgruntled and it shows in how students are treated and handled.

If we expect to be a world-class institution, then maybe we need to understand one another's roles. At the very least, there has to be an understanding that each department plays a vital role and we require cooperation in order to serve the student body better. Stop catering to poor leadership and petty complaining. Please understand that you serve a diverse community and start including all of its members. Start breaking through all of this small mindedness and the mentality of "this is how we have always done it" and start embracing new ways of handling new situations. Evolve. The student population is diverse. Our solutions need to be, as well. Promote diversity, promote forward thinking, promote growth and evolution into that world-class institution we so strive to be. And at the very least, down with petty wastes of time who tie up HR with any possible complaint to halt change. Please open your eyes to these leeches. This place can do so much good if we really get people who care and want to try.

Excellent company to learn public speaking

Former Intern - Vollenteer Speaker in Chicago, IL
    Former Intern - Vollenteer Speaker in Chicago, IL

I worked at Joliet Junior College as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

They are eager to teach you and supply you with pamphlets and power point presentations to help you become a great speaker

Cons

None, Everybody on the staff is friendly and wants to help. This is an organization trying to teach about Systemic Lupus.

Great foundation

No opportunity for economic growth in this company. It's a dead-end job economically.

Current Employee - Adjunct Math Instructor in Joliet, IL
    Current Employee - Adjunct Math Instructor in Joliet, IL

I have been working at Joliet Junior College part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Supervisors leave you alone. They pretty much ignore you, as they just don't seem to care very much; just as long as you have the numbers on roster.

Cons

You'd almost have to be Jesus Christ Himself to get a full-time teaching job at JJC. I've stayed here much, much, much too long. I need something different; somewhere I'll be given the chance to grow and excel. JJC offers NOTHING!!!

Hire full-time instructors. Adjunct teaching is discouraging and demoralizing. It's a crappy model that is extremely destructive to individuals and their families.

Good place to "Retire on the Job"

I worked at Joliet Junior College full-time

Pros

If you like doing the minimum, you've found the right place! Almost impossible to get fired. Not a lot of growth, but then people that work there are not really looking for more challenges, just more money.

Cons

Almost impossible to get anything done. There is always the new project that gets a half-hearted try and then falls by the wayside.

Not much you can do.. the old guard is there to stay. Use this as a chance to brush up your resume.

Not the best place to work if you are looking to advance your career.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Joliet, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Joliet, IL

I have been working at Joliet Junior College part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people are great and some of the benefits for part-time employees are good.

Cons

Management is out of touch and no way to move up in the organization unless you are well liked.

Start giving preference to internal candidates over outsiders. Get rid of people who are not doing there jobs and are just collecting paychecks.

The current president is bringing the whole college down. Most employees are miserable.

Current Employee - Staff in Joliet, IL
    Current Employee - Staff in Joliet, IL

I have been working at Joliet Junior College full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Health benefits and you are golden IF you are faculty.

Cons

Everything else. Toxic, ugly environment where people get stuck for years and years and years.

Fire administrators who are clueless and add absolutely no value to their position but are collecting a pretty sweet paycheck.

Just too good to leave just yet.

Current Employee - Adm Assistant in Joliet, IL
    Current Employee - Adm Assistant in Joliet, IL

I have been working at Joliet Junior College part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Wonderful Manager, caring and understanding. Very friendly co-workers, the majority work hard.

Cons

Lots of programs to learn with lots of repetition.

You are a green building, please spend money on going paperless, scan instead of copy. Too many programs....let's get one database that does it all!

Low expectations

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty - Mathematics in Joliet, IL
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty - Mathematics in Joliet, IL

I have been working at Joliet Junior College part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Little supervision, freedom to use teaching method of choice, formal evaluations that can be used as evidence of successful teaching

Cons

The math department at JJC does not care who is teaching their classes, as long as they get taught. Their hiring process involved me showing up, being handed a book with some materials like a sample syllabus, and being given a class. Imagine if students taking the class knew how little vetting went into the selection of their instructor!

The adjunct situation at JJC works best if you are an older teacher, who teaches the same class each semester. If you are not a favored teacher, good luck getting a decent schedule. If the schedule doesn't work out for you, on to the next resume in the stack.

The math departments' textbook selection leaves much to be desired. They clearly use Michael Sullivan's texts because he works there. His statistics book is particularly appalling. It's as if the primary goal was to make a textbook that students are unable to read, while simultaneously using uninteresting, outdated examples.

The pay is insulting. We make less than minimum wage, and we have a union.

If you want to attract quality educators, pay a living wage (assuming you even care). Adjunct faculty make less then wal-mart employees. This will be my last year at JJC (my choice), and I am leaving because of the low pay / no benefits. JJC's response to the ACA was to simply cut hours, and treat adjuncts like cattle instead of people who deserve a living wage / benefits. Working for such low compensation has changed my attitude about teaching. I came to JJC with a passion for educating college students, and will leave as an educator who does not care if they take anything with them after my class.