Joliet Junior College

Updated October 13, 2014
2.3

Joliet Junior College President Dr. Debra S. Daniels
Dr. Debra S. Daniels

Just too good to leave just yet.

Current Employee - Adm Assistant in Joliet, IL
    Current Employee - Adm Assistant in Joliet, IL

I have been working at Joliet Junior College part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Wonderful Manager, caring and understanding. Very friendly co-workers, the majority work hard.

Cons

Lots of programs to learn with lots of repetition.

You are a green building, please spend money on going paperless, scan instead of copy. Too many programs....let's get one database that does it all!

Good place to "Retire on the Job"

I worked at Joliet Junior College full-time

Pros

If you like doing the minimum, you've found the right place! Almost impossible to get fired. Not a lot of growth, but then people that work there are not really looking for more challenges, just more money.

Cons

Almost impossible to get anything done. There is always the new project that gets a half-hearted try and then falls by the wayside.

Not much you can do.. the old guard is there to stay. Use this as a chance to brush up your resume.

The current president is bringing the whole college down. Most employees are miserable.

Current Employee - Staff in Joliet, IL
    Current Employee - Staff in Joliet, IL

I have been working at Joliet Junior College full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Health benefits and you are golden IF you are faculty.

Cons

Everything else. Toxic, ugly environment where people get stuck for years and years and years.

Fire administrators who are clueless and add absolutely no value to their position but are collecting a pretty sweet paycheck.

Not the best place to work if you are looking to advance your career.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Joliet, IL

I have been working at Joliet Junior College part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people are great and some of the benefits for part-time employees are good.

Cons

Management is out of touch and no way to move up in the organization unless you are well liked.

Start giving preference to internal candidates over outsiders. Get rid of people who are not doing there jobs and are just collecting paychecks.

Great experience as a student worker!

Former Employee - Multi-Campus Tutor/Receptionist in Joliet, IL
    Former Employee - Multi-Campus Tutor/Receptionist in Joliet, IL

I worked at Joliet Junior College part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I loved the people I worked with. They were professional but they still felt like family. My bosses encouraged me to move up and try new things. There were always opportunities to grow.

Cons

Honestly, I can't think of anything bad about working here.

Low expectations

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty - Mathematics in Joliet, IL
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty - Mathematics in Joliet, IL

I have been working at Joliet Junior College part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Little supervision, freedom to use teaching method of choice, formal evaluations that can be used as evidence of successful teaching

Cons

The math department at JJC does not care who is teaching their classes, as long as they get taught. Their hiring process involved me showing up, being handed a book with some materials like a sample syllabus, and being given a class. Imagine if students taking the class knew how little vetting went into the selection of their instructor!

The adjunct situation at JJC works best if you are an older teacher, who teaches the same class each semester. If you are not a favored teacher, good luck getting a decent schedule. If the schedule doesn't work out for you, on to the next resume in the stack.

The math departments' textbook selection leaves much to be desired. They clearly use Michael Sullivan's texts because he works there. His statistics book is particularly appalling. It's as if the primary goal was to make a textbook that students are unable to read, while simultaneously using uninteresting, outdated examples.

The pay is insulting. We make less than minimum wage, and we have a union.

If you want to attract quality educators, pay a living wage (assuming you even care). Adjunct faculty make less then wal-mart employees. This will be my last year at JJC (my choice), and I am leaving because of the low pay / no benefits. JJC's response to the ACA was to simply cut hours, and treat adjuncts like cattle instead of people who deserve a living wage / benefits. Working for such low compensation has changed my attitude about teaching. I came to JJC with a passion for educating college students, and will leave as an educator who does not care if they take anything with them after my class.

A perfect place to let your career die on the vine.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Joliet, IL

I have been working at Joliet Junior College full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Best health benefits anywhere. Employees pay very little for the richest plan I've ever had in my career. That was NOT enough to keep me there.

Cons

President of the college has a goal of it being a "world-class organization." To be clear, we're talking about a junior college. In JOLIET. Any rational person knows that world-class educational institutions are the likes of Harvard, Yale, Brown, Oxford, etc. JJC leadership seems out of touch at best, and truly delusional at worst.

The majority of employees in human resources do not serve as a resource. I was denied bereavement benefits when my great-niece tragically died at the age of three months old, because she was not covered by their definition of "immediate family." Also, HR employees will harass you if they misinterpret your time-off requests, and tell you to stop yelling at them when you are so ballsy as to defend yourself. (I did raise my voice, but did not yell.) HR is not there to be a resource for the employees; they exist solely as a watchdog for management.

Leadership is lopsided; The Board of Trustees is over the President, and the Board agrees on almost nothing. Therefore, when decisions must be made, consensus is rare. Watching the Board fight is entertaining, though, which is a plus.

Pay is a mockery. I was paid about 20 percent less than the same position elsewhere. Some professional positions are classified as clerical - as was mine - so management can continue to over-work and under-pay employees. My supervisor routinely denied me overtime pay or comp time, telling me it wasn't available for my position, and this was in direct violation of policy.

In short, Joliet Junior College is probably great for long-term employees who don't want to work very hard. It is not good for someone who wants career growth and opportunity. I learned what I could from this dismal place, and within two years moved on to a position at least two steps up from what JJC made available to me.

DO NOT renew the President's contract next time. I cannot believe the Board voted in favor of her.

Train HR in communication and equitable policies; help the ones who cannot change to find jobs elsewhere.

Learn how to value innovation and creativity; that is the only way high performers will stay at your institution.

Road to nowhere

Former Employee - Technical Analyst in Joliet, IL
    Former Employee - Technical Analyst in Joliet, IL

I worked at Joliet Junior College full-time

Pros

The atmosphere was wonderful. There are a lot of employees that enjoy their job and understand their job. The new buildings are wonderful and modern looking. The employee benefits are great.

Cons

To many politics running the college. There are people who are employed simply to get a paycheck which is OK except those are not the lowest paid people in the university. Some of the facilities are outdated.

Allow greater ability to grow as an employee. Needs defined ways to move up the ladder. Without moving up people leave such as I.

Good students and new facilities makes for a satisfying work experience.

Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Joliet, IL
    Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Joliet, IL

I worked at Joliet Junior College as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

There is a union for adjuncts, which adds to job security.

Cons

Like many colleges and universities, there is tension between faulty and administration.

The assault upon academic freedoms continues here, as elsewhere. My advice? Please stop.

Great environment and wonderful people to work with.

Former Employee - ITS Help Desk in Joliet, IL
    Former Employee - ITS Help Desk in Joliet, IL

I worked at Joliet Junior College part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Plenty of time to complete homework. Very flexible schedule

Cons

Short hours. Students who need help sometimes abuse the help desk position to get homework done.

Formal training would be nice for the newer employees.