Joliet Junior College

Be The First To
Add Photos

Joliet Junior College President Dr. Debra S. Daniels

Dr. Debra S. Daniels

Just too good to leave just yet.

Adm Assistant (Current Employee)
    Joliet, IL

ProsWonderful Manager, caring and understanding. Very friendly co-workers, the majority work hard.

ConsLots of programs to learn with lots of repetition.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are a green building, please spend money on going paperless, scan instead of copy. Too many programs....let's get one database that does it all!

Great experience as a student worker!

Multi-Campus Tutor/Receptionist (Former Employee)
    Joliet, IL

ProsI loved the people I worked with. They were professional but they still felt like family. My bosses encouraged me to move up and try new things. There were always opportunities to grow.

ConsHonestly, I can't think of anything bad about working here.

Low expectations

Adjunct Faculty - Mathematics (Current Employee)
    Joliet, IL

ProsLittle supervision, freedom to use teaching method of choice, formal evaluations that can be used as evidence of successful teaching

ConsThe math department at JJC does not care who is teaching their classes, as long as they get taught. Their hiring process involved me showing up, being handed a book with some materials like a sample syllabus, and being given a class. Imagine if students taking the class knew how little vetting went into the selection of their instructor!

The adjunct situation at JJC works best if you are an older teacher, who teaches the same class each semester. If you are not a favored teacher, good luck getting a decent schedule. If the schedule doesn't work out for you, on to the next resume in the stack.

The math departments' textbook selection leaves much to be desired. They clearly use Michael Sullivan's texts because he works there. His statistics book is particularly appalling. It's as if the primary goal was to make a textbook that students are unable to read, while simultaneously using uninteresting, outdated examples.

The pay is insulting. We make less than minimum wage, and we have a union.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to attract quality educators, pay a living wage (assuming you even care). Adjunct faculty make less then wal-mart employees. This will be my last year at JJC (my choice), and I am leaving because of the low pay / no benefits. JJC's response to the ACA was to simply cut hours, and treat adjuncts like cattle instead of people who deserve a living wage / benefits. Working for such low compensation has changed my attitude about teaching. I came to JJC with a passion for educating college students, and will leave as an educator who does not care if they take anything with them after my class.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Road to nowhere

Technical Analyst (Former Employee)
    Joliet, IL

ProsThe atmosphere was wonderful. There are a lot of employees that enjoy their job and understand their job. The new buildings are wonderful and modern looking. The employee benefits are great.

ConsTo many politics running the college. There are people who are employed simply to get a paycheck which is OK except those are not the lowest paid people in the university. Some of the facilities are outdated.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow greater ability to grow as an employee. Needs defined ways to move up the ladder. Without moving up people leave such as I.

A perfect place to let your career die on the vine.

Joliet, IL

ProsBest health benefits anywhere. Employees pay very little for the richest plan I've ever had in my career. That was NOT enough to keep me there.

ConsPresident of the college has a goal of it being a "world-class organization." To be clear, we're talking about a junior college. In JOLIET. Any rational person knows that world-class educational institutions are the likes of Harvard, Yale, Brown, Oxford, etc. JJC leadership seems out of touch at best, and truly delusional at worst.

The majority of employees in human resources do not serve as a resource. I was denied bereavement benefits when my great-niece tragically died at the age of three months old, because she was not covered by their definition of "immediate family." Also, HR employees will harass you if they misinterpret your time-off requests, and tell you to stop yelling at them when you are so ballsy as to defend yourself. (I did raise my voice, but did not yell.) HR is not there to be a resource for the employees; they exist solely as a watchdog for management.

Leadership is lopsided; The Board of Trustees is over the President, and the Board agrees on almost nothing. Therefore, when decisions must be made, consensus is rare. Watching the Board fight is entertaining, though, which is a plus.

Pay is a mockery. I was paid about 20 percent less than the same position elsewhere. Some professional positions are classified as clerical - as was mine - so management can continue to over-work and under-pay employees. My supervisor routinely denied me overtime pay or comp time, telling me it wasn't available for my position, and this was in direct violation of policy.

In short, Joliet Junior College is probably great for long-term employees who don't want to work very hard. It is not good for someone who wants career growth and opportunity. I learned what I could from this dismal place, and within two years moved on to a position at least two steps up from what JJC made available to me.

Advice to Senior ManagementDO NOT renew the President's contract next time. I cannot believe the Board voted in favor of her.

Train HR in communication and equitable policies; help the ones who cannot change to find jobs elsewhere.

Learn how to value innovation and creativity; that is the only way high performers will stay at your institution.

Good students and new facilities makes for a satisfying work experience.

Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee)
    Joliet, IL

ProsThere is a union for adjuncts, which adds to job security.

ConsLike many colleges and universities, there is tension between faulty and administration.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe assault upon academic freedoms continues here, as elsewhere. My advice? Please stop.

Great environment and wonderful people to work with.

ITS Help Desk (Former Employee)
    Joliet, IL

ProsPlenty of time to complete homework. Very flexible schedule

ConsShort hours. Students who need help sometimes abuse the help desk position to get homework done.

Advice to Senior ManagementFormal training would be nice for the newer employees.

Be careful

Trainer (Current Employee)
    Joliet, IL

ProsThe pay and benefits were great.

ConsHostile work environment. Some employees are willing to act in unethical behaviors to make money.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micromanaging employees. Trust in your hiring decisions.

Mind numbing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Joliet, IL

ProsMoney is OK and if you are a union employee then you have a job life. If you like going through life doing the absolute minimum then this is the place for you.

ConsEverything is run by politics with tons of infighting. Takes forever to get anything done.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house and start over

Workforce Development

Workforce Development (Former Employee)

ProsIt's a job.
    You may get a decent view of the river.
    The building is heated.

ConsToxic environment at City Center Workforce
    Favoritism rampant and cliquey, catty behavior among department heads
    Senior level picks favorites for their inner circle - creates uncomfortable and destructive work environment for staff
    Favorites privy to insider knowledge, non-favorites left out
    Favorites get special perks and included in social events
    Bad place to work, couldn't wait to get out
    That environment made me physically ill
    And by the way, I was a favorite.

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement merit-based culture and practices
    Create competencies and real measures of performance

Worked for Joliet Junior College? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Joliet Junior College reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Joliet Junior College CEO Dr. Debra S. Daniels. All 15 reviews posted anonymously by Joliet Junior College employees.