Jonathan Adler Enterprises

Updated November 19, 2014
Updated November 19, 2014
1.6

Jonathan Adler

Exciting and challenging experience working for a fantastic, ambitious company

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Jonathan Adler Enterprises part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The employees are extremely friends, smart, skilled, and willing to mentor. Exciting, fast paced environment that challenges employees, encourages collaboration.

Cons

I cannot think of any cons about working for Jonathan Adler Enterprises. I have enjoyed my time here since I was first introduced to the company.

Downhill FAST

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Jonathan Adler Enterprises (more than an year)

Pros

It once was a great environment, and the people who worked there were talented and dedicated.

Cons

It is on a serious downward trend. New hires in upper management are incompetent, power hungry and just bad fits for a company who prides itself on being original. The new revolving door of lower quality employees will be it's demise. With the expectation of the company for 150% from it's employees, it offers nothing in return. The culture has been replaced with a box store one and the sales will eventually show that this will not work.

Replace the drones who speak monotone corporate nonsense, and replace them with the creative,talented people you already have.

DISASTER

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Jonathan Adler Enterprises full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There is very little I can say here, but allowing employees to bring dogs into the work environment was a plus.

Cons

From the very beginning, things were a wreck. My second interview was with a woman from HQ in New York; she was fired days after I was hired. Weeks later, my store manger quit without notice and was not replaced, leaving all the responsibilities on the newly hired store assistant- who was not officially promoted. As salespeople quit my store became understaffed and everyone was overworked and angry, yet HQ would not fill vacated positions because "they haven't found that perfect person yet." I told that bonuses were based on the store's sales, and were a realistic expectation. What I was not told was that sales goals were set impossibly high, very few stores in the company ever meet their goals. My store was lucky to get halfway to it's monthly goal. As you are being paid poverty wages, you are expected to promote classism and elitism. The CEO's vacation homes and shallow lifestyle are featured in many of the glossy books they sell. Gay men are veiwed as style servants to rich women- this idea is such a cornerstone of the company that they even go as far describing these dated stereotypes on the walls. (see "always trust your gut, and your gay BFF," and "the wife is always right, unless the husband is gay.") As a gay man, this was very troubling. At the heart of this company is not thoughtful design, but pompous snobbery. Once I was tasked with throwing away bedding sets that had been returned or used as floor displays. These were perfectly usable sheets, and my store was located near many homeless shelters and donation centers. But donating the sheets was not an option, as Jonathan Adler has no interest in being charitable towards the communities they operate within.

The most inexcusable thing about this company is its dismal customer service and lack of quality control. During my time there, not a single furniture delivery arrived without issue. NOT ONE. Items were often broken or damaged, parts were missing, and defects were common. One customer had purchased a $3,000 couch and did not receive it without damage until nearly a year after purchasing it. HQ does not communicate with the many unhappy customers; instead, the instore salesperson must pass messages between the customer and HQ. It is highly ineffiecent and muddies the waters of communication for all involved. Jonathan Adler does very little business with designers, despite a discount. Seems like word has gotten around within the design industry that this company cannot deliver on its promises.

Retire!

absolutely miserable

Former Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY

I worked at Jonathan Adler Enterprises full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very hard to come up with but I would say casual work environment and dress code, fun product, good people.

Cons

Low salary, zero respect for employees (HR doesn't even care to give exit interviews and when they do it's with an intern), huge turnover rate, poorly managed departments, long days, small amount of vacation, expected to work overtime/weekends without compensation, taking lunch is not encouraged.

Everyone is miserable and underpaid. Treat employees with more respect and award the ones who work hard to minimize turnover.

Great People, Horrible Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Jonathan Adler Enterprises full-time (more than an year)

Pros

So many talented people that could take this business to the next level.
    Fun Work Environment with the cutest dogs and amazing co workers who will always help you out.

Cons

Horrible Management and Miscommunication. The president of the company pretty much let us know about money problems the company was having and how nobody was getting raises, but yet over time some of us learned that raises were given to certain people. They need an outside accountant to look over the mishandling of money with this company. They also over work you for bad pay, again with the mishandling of money but the president is always on vacation.

Learn to Communicate to your employees and handle your money woes without having your employees suffer the consequences of the actions the Upper management decide to make. Learn to Value your employees before they all leave.

JA HQ

I have been working at Jonathan Adler Enterprises full-time

Pros

dogs in office, casual attire

Cons

working weekends, not an office that takes lunch breaks, 9 hour days, odd requests

Untapped potential (plus it's old - I'm not interested in tapping it)

I worked at Jonathan Adler Enterprises full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good brand that could be a powerhouse. It attracts fun, interesting, interested talent. The design ethos and mix of retail, wholesale, and licensed goods and collaborations puts the company in a terrific spot to be able to grow into something great.

Cons

Because of terrible leadership (including the eponymous captain) anyone with real skills and any talent leaves. The president is such a schmuck that he's the world's second biggest schmuck. Those that stick around are either very green or people that have grown up with the company and still underperform, just at a higher level. The scrappy can-do attitude that may have worked when the company was ten years younger has turned into a disorganized mess that hemorrhages money and time due to inefficiencies.

Stop rewarding sycophantic behavior and instead grow some balls, fire people that shouldn't be there, hire and support a talented team. Create a mission and business plan, make it transparent across departments, and stick to it. I'm sure the currently dissatisfied investors will like it too!

intern

Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Jonathan Adler Enterprises as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

yes, is in NY Manhattan. some nice and respectful coworkers. Maybe a good start for first career.

Cons

Unpaid. no respect environment. Starbucks gift card for internship.

Bad summer experience

I worked at Jonathan Adler Enterprises part-time

Pros

The furniture and products are high quality, and employee discounts are big

Cons

The company isn't run well. My manager stopped coming to work halfway through the summer, and JA left two of us to run the store 7 days a week. I was hired part time, but ended up working 50 hour weeks.

The time I spent at JA was the lowest point in my career.

Former Employee - Office in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Office in New York, NY

I worked at Jonathan Adler Enterprises full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun product. Many talented and dedicated co-workers. Untapped potential from a business perspective. Good employee discount. Nicely appointed office.

Cons

Terrible leadership- Both the CEO and President are weak and ineffective at running a healthy business. There is little to no critical thinking going on at a top level. Sales and health of business continue to suffer. The past three years have seen a revolving door of manager to director level employees as a result. Employees are not given the tools to perform effectively and are sold a bill of goods upon hire that does not materialize.

Lack of systems- CEO and President rely on unqualified long term employees to make system and technical choices. IT is laughable and employees hands are tied by impractical and inappropriate system choices.

Rampant unprofessionalism- The office resembles a three ring circus, and there is a complete lack of professionalism. This starts with the CEO and President, who utilize employees for personal projects when more pressing business matters are at hand. Meetings can last indefinitely due to lack of focus on the CEO and President's part.

Lack of respect for employees- Employees can have no expectation of work/ life balance. For this, they are rewarded with no raises and terrible management.

It is only a matter of time before this company closes due to poor management.

Take a business 101 class.