Jonathan Adler Enterprises

Store Manager at Jonathan Adler

Former Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Jonathan Adler Enterprises

Pros

Jonathan Adler is fabulous company to work for. The culture and passion of the employees from corporate to the retail field is felt throughout the company! As a manager of one of the store locations, I always felt supported by our corporate partners, who were easily accessible and helpful in many different situations. If I were not relocating to a state without a JA store, I would undoubtedly still be working for this amazing company!

Cons

No cons come to mind, great company to work for overall!

2. Over rated

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Jonathan Adler Enterprises full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great merchandise! I have always loved Jonathan Adler's designs. Customers love the accessories.

Cons

The customers don't think of JA as a furniture store but the goals are based on furniture sales and designer sales. The designer discount is only 20% and the furniture is overpriced for most pieces being manufactured in China. The rotation of merchandise is not exciting and the product begins to feel dated.

Advice to Management

Understand the limitations of the business and work with the employees for a better work life balance and bonus structure.

Don't listen to the naysayers - I love it here!

Current Employee - Retail Employee
    Current Employee - Retail Employee

I have been working at Jonathan Adler Enterprises

Pros

I’m glad to see that I’m not the only one willing to post about my POSITIVE experience at Jonathan Adler. After reading all of the reviews, I felt compelled to write about my own experience. It seems like this site attracts former employees with a chip on their shoulder who feel the need to vent, and in doing so come across immature and vengeful with no real examples to support their complaints.

As with all growing companies, there are inevitable growing pains, some people just don’t like change…

My experience thus far has been a good one! I’ve been with JA for a while and I myself have been promoted and have seen several people within retail and corporate be promoted as well. While I do agree with some comments about the company, most people aren’t clear in saying the “cons” they list refer to the way it was over a year ago. It has changed during my time here and mostly for the better! In the past, people in retail management roles “a.k.a leaders” were scared to come to work everyday and you could see the stress on their faces after the weekly store leader conference calls- stress from the “berating” as someone called it on this site already. You’d think more people would have left during that time but I guess some people are a glutton for punishment and preferred to be micromanaged verus being held accountable for the success of their business. It has taken some time for significant changes to happen but I feel like we are now given more tools to succeed and, yes, we are now held accountable for our businesses and I think that’s the part that has changed the most. We’re no longer micromanaged at every corner and have no one else to blame if we can’t drive our own stores. Many of “us” find this challenge exciting; I can see how others may not be up to the challenge.

Cons

Some people in the home office are very busy and hard to get ahold of. I wish they could be more responsive and understanding of the retail field.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you’re doing and provide more training. The people in retail want to continue growing and learning everyday. Specifically, more product knowledge training and opportunities to work more directly with corporate partners.

Exciting, creative and truly FUN place to work!

I have been working at Jonathan Adler Enterprises

Pros

For anyone truly passionate about design with an edge, Jonathan Adler Retail is a stellar place to spend your days. Co-workers share their passion for JA's design.....having the ability to tell the story of any collection gives consultants an honest and interesting way to engage the clients. Jonathan openly shares his vision and inspiration for his works with the teams as new lines are developed......it leaves the team hungry to share his irreverent vision with everyone that enters. Unlike other home furnishing & décor chains, JA's brick and mortars are over the top with in your face design and a wealth of inspiration for all that enter. We don't lurk or trail....we engage, share a story or, at times, just laugh with the client at the irreverent yet classic world that Jonathan has created. The DAY 1 employee discount is HUGE! Starting salaries are competitive, Management changes made at the corporate level in the past year have brought forward a positive and supportive approach to driving the business. HQ support teams (i.e.: Customer Service, Account Managers, Buyers, Visual, etc.) become like family.....we work together to solve issue as they arise with out finger pointing or blame. I thrive in an environment in which a brilliant client experience is our highest mission and our team gives 100% toward this end. Human Resources stronger presence is guiding the transition from a "mom & pop" into a multinational enterprise without crushing the charm and individualism that we all relish. JA embraces a strong "develop & promote" from within culture. In my case, I rose from part time associate to store manager in 18 months and have had the opportunity to task force at other stores in our region. One of the most truly enjoyable jobs on my storied resume!

Cons

So many SKU's, so much to learn.....this is not the place for someone that believes that they can know it all. With Jonathan's ever expanding imagination driving new lines and designs......working here makes you a constant student. Some stores are located in lower traffic area then would be desirable, but increases in brand exposure do seem to make them somewhat of an anchor for their neighborhoods.

Advice to Management

Continue to develop and promote the individuals that have the passion for the brand and you will be left with a team of ambassadors that cannot be stopped.

Worst work experience of my life

I worked at Jonathan Adler Enterprises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company did pay health benefits to all full-time employees with no co-pay this is something that has gotten a little mention and one plus for working with the company. It would've been difficult to see your healthcare provider given the hours staff is expected to work

Cons

Omitting the two or three glowing reviews that are in such stark contrast to the other largely negative reviews their sincerity needs to be questioned. There are consistent themes and most of these reviews that I would only echo saying my experiences with Jonathanadler Enterprises we're basically the same: disorganized upper management, poor quality product, fear and intimidation or standard practices from a corporate level Store managers and staff were solely responsible for the health and well-being of the company.

Retail stores competed with the website little thought was given to the dilution of the brand jonathanadler the person was pretrade as a benevolent creative genius who we were all there to serve.

A psychologically damaging place to work.

Advice to Management

Sell the brand while it still has some value

Toxic, unpleasant, inexperienced people running the show. STAY AWAY!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Jonathan Adler Enterprises

Pros

Wonderful pottery. Best clients in the business. Really great customers. Jonathan Adler himself is a genius!

Cons

Most furniture is poor quality and over priced. The imported furniture looks like it belongs in a discount store rather than an upscale furniture boutique. Cheapens brand. Horrible management. Most of corporate office is a joke. Human Resource dept non existent. Poor business practices. Very poor customer service at corporate level.

Advice to Management

Wipe them all out and start fresh. They hold the business down and don't allow it to thrive. Drop the high school gossip mentality. Fire the entire Chicago staff. Chicago will not live up to its potential until the entire staff is changed. Weak and deceitful people all with Giant egos. If you choose to work there, be warned. Trust no one at the store level or corporate. You'll be miserable.

Amazingly creative founder of the company, but needs to hire organizational team.

Former Employee - Visual Merchandising
    Former Employee - Visual Merchandising

I worked at Jonathan Adler Enterprises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great products that are one of kind and can not be found any where else. Customer service is always in progress, items that are one of kind are kept around, and bright bold creativity.

Cons

Need home office leadership and a creative director that will keep the founder in line and focused on what is done amazingly. No real employee retention or care to keep what is good in a person around.

Advice to Management

Get a creative director, trust in "good" of what people bring to the table, and don't act like mean people to field people.

Dog & Pony Show

Former Employee - Store Manager in Chestnut Hill, MA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Chestnut Hill, MA

I worked at Jonathan Adler Enterprises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great interesting design, poor store concept!

Cons

Poor senior management and unprofessional.

Advice to Management

Maybe the owner can stop throwing pottery long enough to visit stores and see first hand how his team is tarnishing his brand!

There Will Be Blood

I worked at Jonathan Adler Enterprises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are those certain diamonds in the rough at this company. Certain people at corporate level that are genuine and really care about the business and are HUMAN. The product is kitschy and fun and at times the in-store atmosphere can be that way too.

Cons

Where to start. My time at this company started off really really amazing. My team was perfect and we all got along. Promotions to upper management left something to be desired. After an upper management promotion, my whole store went down the tubes. People were brought in to the store to management positions that didn't have any furniture or design experience and we were asked what our education was (we all had degrees) and the people who were new hired didn't have any college education. Why are we being grilled about our education when it's obviously not a factor in hiring?
    People were hired in who had no business being management who would argue with each other on the floor in front of customers (I was yelled at on the floor on an occasion).
    My manager found out from a customer who called the store that she was being replaced, when no one had ever heard of this new manager. Customers would call our store and ask for our "new manager" by name, which killed any thoughts that this might just be gossip. I was also told by my coworkers that I would be losing my job soon and that they were told that I "wouldn't be a problem" anymore. Nice.
    The company is going in a very odd and twilight zone-esque direction and I do not recommend this company to anyone at all. You will not be looked at as a human being but as a mechanical, Jonathan Adler stepford wife who is expected to be a preppy chic robot.
    At a place where I once looked forward to going to work every day, the last couple months of my time here was a nightmare. I showed up to work every day and did my job and had excellent sales performance but was always treated like I was not welcome.
    It also seemed like all the new hires at my location were men and all the women were being driven out.

Advice to Management

Don't gossip with the employees at your stores. They will ALWAYS rat you out and then it becomes a big HR issue. We do not like hearing from our coworkers that we're about to be fired.
    Cultivate the talent you already have in the stores, and instead of trying to replace everyone try developing their skills and making them better.
    If you claim to want to bring in more design oriented employees, stick with it...instead of bringing in employees who have no design background and driving out the ones that do.
    To HR-listen to the employees concerns. We are not trying to gossip or stir the pot, we have real issues that we need to discuss and that need to be taken care of.

Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Greenwich, CT
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Greenwich, CT

I worked at Jonathan Adler Enterprises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing concept, fun atmosphere, beautiful product. JA is a "small company" with big ideas and hopes. For the most part the employees are a tight group and look out for each other.

Cons

Upper management is blind to internal issues. There is a disconnect between corporate and retail stores. Product issues cause huge customer service issues which inhibit stores ability to sell. Customer service department is not sufficient enough to handle said product issues. There are a bunch of kids running the corporate office.

Advice to Management

Beware the "gossip" circle between certain store managers and the corporate office partners.