Jones Day

Jones Day Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Jones Day Managing Partner Stephen J. Brogan

Stephen J. Brogan

Pros
  • There are a lot of good people at this firm(in 3 reviews)

• High quality lawyers -- the best of the best -- and generally good people, too(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Unpredictable work, very little work-life balance(in 4 reviews)

• Long hours just like any other law firm(in 5 reviews)

Great for big law.

Associate Attorney (Current Employee)

ProsGreat experience, great clients, and smart people to work with. The people who work here believe in it the brand. Also, it's well managed at the top. As one of the few firms that didn't do mass layoffs in 2008 and 2009 and continued to hire (though they cut back a bit on summer class sizes), the firm is one of the few in the country that hasn't been scrambling for junior-mid level corporate associates, since they anticipated that demand would bounce back. I would also like to think they made that decision because they care about their employees.

ConsUnpredictable work, very little work-life balance. It's big law, though, so you have to understand that you're being paid to prioritize work over everything else and to be available to the client 24/7. It felt like leadership/training from partners was often lacking, but from conversations with other friends at law firms, lack of training and leadership is a problem in most firms. The lack of transparency with respect to partnership promotion and pay is also irritating, but that's the Jones Day way. Either way, it's easy to look up the salaries at other big law firms and notice when you are being paid below market, but it's frustrating that you can't challenge the salary because "we don't talk about money".

Associate

Associate Attorney (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsReasonable workload, most of coworkers are nice

ConsMediocre payment, sometimes lower than peer firms.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood management.

Good place to work.

ProsOverall, friendly people and pleasant environment. Convenient location. Great time off!!

ConsNot paid out for sick leave anymore and no bonuses.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake notice of employee concerns especially of supervisor's conduct.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Add Work Responsibility but No Salary Increase

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThe benefits are great and the pay is good.

ConsSalary is good but for the past few years they have only given cost of living increases although they have increased responsibilities and workload.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you increase workload and responsibilities, increase pay.

We are the Borg. Prepare to be assimilated.

Lawyer (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsHigh quality lawyers -- the best of the best -- and generally good people, too.

ConsClients are pretty much limited to Fortune 500 companies, which can make the work kind of rote.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore team building would be good -- get people out of their offices.

Grass Was Greener at my Old Firm

Associate (Current Employee)

ProsPay is generally at or above the market and because there are no bonuses (it is already built into your salary) there is technically no "hours requirement". People tend to be pretty decent here.

ConsThere is a definite boys club here and the atmosphere is way overly conservative. I don't remember the last law firm I worked at where the head partner was called "Mr." by everyone. Promotion and job sustainability is also more about who you get along with. With "bonus" being built into your salary, you stand the chance on missing out on a big payday if the market ever goes back to big bonuses. Finally, there isn't a ton of transparency by the leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementFirm feels more like a large corporation rather than a law firm. There are certain perks that go along with working in a large law firm that makes the stressful nature of the work and the long hours more palatable. Here I can't even get a second computer monitor (which boosts corporate work productivity so much when working with a number of agreements simultaneously).

Depressing catholic boy's club.

Associate (Current Employee)

ProsThe individual people tend to be pretty nice as people; few yellers. If you know someone, you could get some decent work. If you're willing to put your pesonal life on hold for below-market pay, you'll be happy here.

ConsNot enough work; low quality work that paralegals should be doing but is forced on associates to jack up billings; complete lack of transparency not just on salaries but on general firm policies; bad review system without substantive critique where employees are pressured not to request reviews; partners have little to no interest in associate development; lack of mentorship; associates blamed for partners' lack of interest in mentoring (yeah, it's a two way street, so don't blame associates for 100% of the problem); firm has little to no interest in associate developement; few to no skill building experiences; very political (it's about who you know and who likes you); absurd level of kool-aid drinking attitude expected of you; expectation that you will 100% of the time drop your personal life on weekend's at a moment's notice. Firm's public stance on diversity and quality of life don't match up with inehrent realities.

Granted, some of these problems are pretty common at any big law firm--Jones Day's environment at my office is just pretty depressing. It's a revolving door of associates; don't plant to be here for more than a pit stop on your way to a different job. Little to no feeling of job security, but they still expect you to devote your professional and personal life to the firm even as they plan to kick you to the curb...

Advice to Senior ManagementYou won't change, what's the point?

Happy Years Turned to Sad Years

Support Staff (Former Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsMost of the people I worked with for over ten years were friendly and fun to work with. For the first few years, staff was treated very well and pay is still probably top of the market.

ConsLittle by little, all the extras were taken away from staff. No more lunchtime training, no more end of year bonus, no more raises, not even cost of living. Lawyers leaving, staff layoffs, seated so far away from each other in lonely hallways, not enough work. Environment was miserable last few years. Benefits cut, healthcare more and more expensive.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote more of a team environment. Provide staff with opportunities that make them feel like part of the team instead of the sad little desk jockeys that don't really make a difference to the firm.

Declining for staff employees

ProsPay is usually above market average.

ConsEvery possible benefit for staff has been taken away in the last 10 years.
    Bonus' gone
    Year end party gone
    Black Friday last June cut 65 IT many talented that remain are jumping ship
    Tripled work load
    Terrible severance

Advice to Senior ManagementConcentrate on staff employees more. A happier worker is a more productive worker. Give back to staff more.

fabulous professional top of the line company

Data Entry, Reviewer of Resumes (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH

Prosnone, except my job was contract

Consno cons, I want to work here

Worked for Jones Day? Contribute to the Community!