www.jonesday.com

Updated December 4, 2014
3.4

Jones Day Managing Partner Stephen J. Brogan
Stephen J. Brogan

Pros
  • No egos - lots of great people at all levels (in 4 reviews)

• There are a lot of good people at this firm (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • From what I saw, there didn't seem to be a great work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Granted, some of these problems are pretty common at any big law firm--Jones Day's environment at my office is just pretty depressing (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Firm

Former Employee - Staff Attorney in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Staff Attorney in Dallas, TX

I worked at Jones Day full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Jones Day was without question the finest law firm I worked for. They promote excellence in everything they do, and the lawyers as a whole are a pleasure to work with.

Cons

Staff attorneys are paid far less than an associate, and you do sometimes get the impression that staff attorneys are considered inferior to associates.

Good firm but expect to work hard

Former Employee - Associate Attorney in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Attorney in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Jones Day full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good experience, smart people, great clients.

Cons

Jones Day Nights and Weekends. That says it all.

Not much advice to give.

Your Mileage May Vary

I worked at Jones Day

Pros

There are some very talented and helpful people at this firm, at all levels. Having been mentored by great attorneys and given excellent opportunities at an early stage, I consider myself very fortunate. My advice would be to seek out these people (ask around!) and stick with them.

Cons

Unfortunately, there are also some people who should not be at this firm. Some of my colleagues had the displeasure of working with people who were needlessly unprofessional. The good new(s) is that you can usually quickly identify (and hopefully avoid) these people.

Internship

Former Employee - Intern in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Irvine, CA

I worked at Jones Day as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone was relatively friendly, and helpful. The first day that the other interns and I started, we all went out for lunch together which was a nice way to be introduced to the team.

Cons

From what I saw, there didn't seem to be a great work-life balance. The atmosphere also seemed a little more on the boring side

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Jones Day full-time

Pros

Hours are better than most other big law shops
    Face time is minimal

Cons

Not a very congenial place; can feel isolating

People need to feel part of a cohesive team; better comp.

Jones Day is good for a big firm, but big firms are no place to make a career.

Former Employee - Associate Attorney in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Associate Attorney in Dallas, TX

I worked at Jones Day full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay was good. The Dallas office gave the same pay as NY or DC or LA, but cost of living is half of those places.

Cons

"Client service" is the only thing that mattered. The business model of any large firm is to churn through associates who don't know much and kick out people who are productive prior to them making partner so you don't lose your share of the loot.

Of all big law firms: create a counsel track that makes sense. Clients will be happier with lower overall fees and counsel that can tap out after 1,500 hours and make less money will prefer the quality of life. Having been in-house for 5 years, I now know that very few partners are worth their salt anyways.

Not What It Used To Be

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Jones Day full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The lawyers and staff are great people to work with. Everyone pretty much gets along and has been there for a long time. Even though people are treated badly, they want to ride out their employment until retirement because they know what a great office this used to be. We tend to meet every client deadline provided it can be done durng normal business hours.

Cons

Over the last 10 years many benefits and perks have been taken away. Upper management does not know what they are doing and they pretty much don't care about anything but themselves. They get raises but staff is always told that they are being "capped" due to the fact that their salaries have reached the max. There a few people who work with upper management that are nothing but drama and troublemakers. These few love to start rumors and throw others "under the bus". Servicing lawyers is not a priority any more and that is where they lose their credibility with most employees.

Re-evaluate your overall strategy and reward those who deserve it. A minimum amount of employees are happy but management doesn't care. Worst OA and Personnel Department in the history of the Firm!

Associate

I have been working at Jones Day

Pros

No egos - lots of great people at all levels. The culture is definitely set to helping fellow attorneys. great mentoring. Lots of responsibility early on. Very flexible with working from home.

Cons

If you're good, you're going to be buried with work. The lack of year end bonus can be disheartening, though it seems to all equal out by the end of the year.

Take care not to burn out your brightest stars. Additional perks such as subsidized gym memberships or other items could go a long way.

Very exciting

I worked at Jones Day part-time (less than an year)

Pros

people were very nice to me

Cons

boss were not very nice to me

keep doing a good job please

Great experience, decent partners, sub-market pay

I worked at Jones Day

Pros

Associates get a lot of experience early on in most groups. Training depends on the partners you work for, some are hands-off, some are micro-managing, and there are extremes of each.

Cons

Pay is not at or above market for high performers, despite what JD says to the contrary. Firm states that its lack of a bonus policy is made up by market salary increases that take into consideration the fact that the firm does not pay bonuses. This is not the case.

Jones Day Photos