Jones, Edmunds & Associates

Updated Jul 6, 2014

Rick Ferreira

Great Atmosphere, Enjoy Working Here

Gainesville, FL

ProsManagement communicates very well with staff, staff development is excellent, coworkers are very professional and easy to get along with.

ConsI really can't think of a con. So far its been a great place to work. I would like to point out that when I was being interviewed and considering the position I have now, I read some of the negative reviews from the past and I was concerned about accepting the offer. Now that I'm here, I'm glad I didn't let them influence my decision to come to work here. It has been a great experience. My only guess is that when the economy contracted, jobs may have been cut, and that's where the bad reviews come from. I've experienced nothing like that and we are now in an expansion phase, with new hires each month.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work! Your positive attitudes and attention to the needs of the staff really help.

Keep on the job search!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOne thing Jones Edmunds does well is communicate with their staff. When they converted payroll and benefits HR was great about giving us advance notice and explaining changes. However, there are changes on a daily basis so get ready to do some serious communicating!

ConsWhere to start? The home office is indeed a dump! There is shag carpet on the walls and the roof is always leaking, etc. The owners of the company also own a property management firm who leases the building to Jones Edmunds. The CEO and two owners are the only ones with the exception of a few other lucky folks who has something that looks post 80's. The HR department is a nightmare to work with the exception of a couple folks working within that department, and several managers rather do without whatever their need is than engage Human Resources. The processes and policies are constantly changing as to keep everyone as confused as the HR Director and the CEO are. They have this "god-complex" to them as most senior management there does, and it depends on which day of the week you catch them, but most times they act like "you" are the lucky one to be in their presence. The company tries to put off this welcoming, ethical, and honest tribute to its employees at all cost, but the truth beneath it all is that they pick and choose golden boys/girls and that's who moves up within the company. Furthermore they will demean and even side swipe other managers to promote these golden folks! Let it also not go unsaid that one of the main ways you get to be this golden employee is to work 60+ hours a week. (Remember mostly exempt positions so no overtime!) Most of the senior level managers are overly obsessed with their job and status so they are wiling to spend 70 hours a week there and expect the very same thing of all their employees. It's sad that they actually rather be at the office than home with their families and they will occasionally joke that they rather be there than at home! My review probably seems overly pessimistic, but be assured I am not one of those employees who job hops every time I don't like something. As a matter of fact I was very upset upon leaving JE because of how discontented I was and had never felt that way when leaving a position before. It was unnerving and extremely sad to feel as crappy as I did because I've never left a company prior to this job for the reasons other than better opportunity or advancement in my career. In fact with the exception of this company my only two previous bosses I am still in touch with today and think highly of my ex-employers and would go back to work for them happily if the right opportunity ever came along. If you get an interview and decide to engage just trust your gut because if I had done this during my decision to accept an offer I would have saved myself a lot of headache and frustration! The feeling of interrogation in their extremely long drawn out interview process won't leave you feeling like a champ or with a good feeling about working there....

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a life!

Solid company with great people.

Construction Project Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Gainesville, FL

Pros- Very talented, intelligent people that create a great working environment. There is truly a "family" atmosphere here. Everyone I interacted with was always friendly to me.
    - Variety of projects to work on and areas to get involved.
    - Most managers and executive staff have an open-door policy, and most are very approachable.
    - Excellent benefits, which the company improved upon while I was there (better vacation accrual and workplace flexibility). They often use anonymous employee surveys to gauge satisfaction; the updated vacation accrual/flexibility policy was a direct result of one of these surveys.
    - The company has been around a long time and has built longstanding relationships with municipalities throughout Florida.
    - Most employees really internalize the motto: Integrity, Knowledge, Service.
    - Monthly events, like socials, popcorn/ice cream breaks, employee appreciation week, etc., and tailgates for all Gator home games and the UGA game in Jacksonville.
    - The company made it through the recession and is now growing; it is a good time to get involved, and I think the firm will be very successful in the upcoming years.

Cons- Very little (if any) room for long-term growth for support staff (i.e., anyone who is not an engineer).
    - Communication could be improved.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt times, it feels like there are too many managers (i.e., approvals for certain things have to go through several levels of higher-ups). Senior managers/executives should place more trust is those beneath them. Also, open up leadership development to all employees (not just engineers), and find ways to promote non-engineers so that good talent isn't lost to other companies that will.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great People, Great Industry

Human Resources (Current Employee)
    Gainesville, FL

ProsWork with a highly dedicated group of individuals on exciting projects that make America (Florida) run.

ConsStress levels can run high during crunch time.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening to the staff and continue to improve the organization

A consulting firm in decline with significant upper management providing guidance and career paths to nowhere.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Gainesville, FL

ProsThe home office is a dump, but Gainesville is a nice place to live if you are raising a family or straight out of college. That being said, if you are responsible for a family I would not throw in with this lot. Many of the individual employees are good people, it is the upper management and ownership that are simply lost and playing the role of a consulting engineer.

ConsFrom what I've observed, the firm has two primary owners that are not actively involved with the business (sales, marketing, management, or engineering) and appear to have no interest with an internal ownership transition, although they do provide for a "plan" on paper. However, the leadership/management team is so inept I can't blame the owner's for maintaining a controlling interest. This is a dead end firm with a history of layoffs. Your marketing and billability goals will be sky high to cover the overhead.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake two weeks off and quit. Seriously, how can you continue to lay off scores of hard working employees (doing the job they've been given) as a result of your inept management? Management and leadership is much more than hiring and firing. The owner's should either sell to an outside firm with competent leadership/management or replace you.

Great People, Great Projects, Great Place to Work

Gainesville, FL

ProsThe company strives to find out what employees are thinking using not only surveys but quarterly visits to offices by the CEO, Controller and Director, HR. Excellent opportunities for continued professional growth via Jones Edmunds University. The company encourages employees to publish/present with bonuses available for those who are successful. Changes are made regarding polices based on employee feedback. Most recently more flexibility was instituted and a significant increase to the vacation accrual schedule. What used to take 10 years to earn for vacation is now earned in 5 years.

ConsSometimes there are peaks and valleys in work load. This can be challenging. Long hours sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue listening to employees, review policies on a regular basis.

Great place to learn and work with amazing people

ProsHighly talented people who know engineering both from a technical and business perspective. The economy has been rough on the engineering business as a whole but because of the diversity of clients and again, the staff, the company is in a much better market position than most other companies in looking towards the future. For a mid sized firm Jones Edmunds has incredible talent. This is evident by the number of state and national awards won for our innovative projects.

ConsThe company has been a little stagnant in growth over the past few years but the economy had much to do with that (but it now looks like the trend may be up).

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to listen to staff in order to make adjustments in policies as necessary, like the new time flexibility policy. Also continue to lead the company with the core values in mind - integrity, knowledge, and service. Find ways to grow the firm as that creates opportunities for everyone.

Horrible place to work. Horrible morale, horrible pay, horrible management.

Gainesville, FL

ProsSome of the department managers are pleasant people overall.

ConsThis place is a joke. Upper management does not care about employees as evidenced by lack of raises or bonuses despite glowing annual reviews and the company turning a profit.

Also, it is not the company's policy to give part-time employees raises--ever. So, despite working at this company for years, you will not move up in the pay scale, nor will you receive a bonus or ever receive benefits if you are part-time--or if you change status from full time to part time.

They do not offer competitive salaries, look at other firms before applying here.

The company rates the employees on whether they are a "champion for the company," yet I have never once seen them be a champion for their employees. HR doesn't even spell employees' names correctly on company cakes.

Along with poor treatment, overall office morale is very poor. Nearly every coworker I've had here complained about not only disliking their job, but actually hating it. Management is constantly berated by employees behind their back--and for good reason. Employees constantly complain about other employees being incompetent.

The company's building has mold and mildew on the ceiling tiles from roof leaks, but the company does not repair it; they simply put buckets under the leaks. I've also seen a mouse in the building, along with at least 10 dead cockroaches in the halls and company kitchen.

Additionally, the company was not truthful about the position I accepted. They described it as involving much more responsibility and challenging work than what it ended up being. They also were not truthful with me about the opportunity to move up. I specifically asked in my interview about moving up in the company, they assured me there was opportunity. There was no opportunity, unless someone resigned in actuality.

If I could give this company zero stars, I would. It's that bad. Avoid Jones Edmunds at all costs. I would NOT recommend this company.

Do not work for Jones Edmunds

Gainesville, FL

ProsSome of the people were very nice.

ConsManagement is cut throat, cold-hearted, and rewards mediocrity. Management says it cares about people and they are valued. This is a lie. If you value incompetence, this is your place. Promote yourself to top management and you will get rewarded. Do good work, make a difference, and care and you will not.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of poor performers don't promote them, and promote them again, and promote them again. Stop focusing on money. If you truly care about the people who work there financial benefits follow.

Great People, Boring Atmosphere, Upper Management Can't Communicate

Civil Engineer I (Former Employee)
    Gainesville, FL

ProsThe engineers I worked with were very nice.

ConsUpper management is very bad at communicating. They are numbers people only and not people people at all. Upper management needs to make an effort to reach out to employees to put at least a face with the management edicts. It's a small company! Management should know everyone's name! The upper management at Jones Edmunds is all about extra hours. They don't mind putting in 45-50 hour weeks, so neither should their employees. It's a nice place if you are a hard core engineer, if you are somewhat of a social person, you might get lucky with the coworkers being social, but the upper management is not social so don't expect a very social office.

Advice to Senior Management10 working days of vacation is way too little. If someone works extra hours, at least pay them regular time for their work, or give them some comp time that can be transferred out of the current week. Have at least one face to face meeting with every new employee.

Worked for Jones, Edmunds & Associates? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Jones, Edmunds & Associates reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Jones, Edmunds & Associates CEO Rick Ferreira. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by Jones, Edmunds & Associates employees.