Jones Lang LaSalle

Jones Lang LaSalle Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Jones Lang LaSalle President, CEO, and Director Colin Dyer

Colin Dyer

Pros
  • Company tends to be cognizant of employees' needs for work/life balance(in 24 reviews)

• Great work environment in which a strong work ethic was highly valued(in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • At times it is difficult to get that work/life balance(in 22 reviews)

• No employee engagement at all; bullying at Senior Management level unless you are part of the team(in 12 reviews)

Great Pay, Horrible Working Conditions

Facility Manager (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsThe pay was great, two of the upper managers were good people, and the benefits were good overall.

ConsLittle to no training, false promises were given, I was set up to fail or "thrown to the wolves by JLL" as the client indicated, the job was too demanding with little help from upper management, and JLL's processes are very complicated without the proper level of training.

Advice to Senior ManagementSelect management who cares about properly training new employees so they can be successful within your organization. Quit lying to people making them believe they will be successful by using tactics that build false hope. Instead, spend sufficient time with new employees so they can get used to your processes, be honest with their performance by providing feedback, and strive to help people succeed.
    According to the client, your turnover rates at my facility were very high over the last two years. To me, this means you must have money to burn on recruiting new managers. Stop wasting money on recruitment and invest in good and proper training instead.

A successful, well organized corporation

ProsThe atmosphere is professional and everyone is working hard to accomplish their goals. Day to day work experience varies according to department and supervisor.

ConsThe training could be more comprehensive and there is little follow up after hire. Although ease of moving to other departments is offered at hire, it is hard to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to the people in the field for suggestions.

Great company to work for if you already have the skills and network

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat talent pool
    Roles are as challenging as you make them
    Ability to move between functions/services
    Decent benefits package
    Flexibility of many roles (location agnostic); locations in every major market

ConsZero diversity in leadership positions
    Poor employee development
    Salaries are below industry average (well below top competitors)
    "Entrepreneurial culture" can be detrimental to great workers who need career guidance

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you're serious about diversity and employee development, prove it. Back up the speeches and events with real programming that develops newly on-boarded and hungry talent. Invest time and money in education, skills development, training, etc. Cast a wider net both internally and externally to recruit, hire, develop and retain diverse talent. Black, Asian, and Hispanic talent is scarce at the firm, and what does exist leaves quickly because there's no firm commitment to development. They're rarely included in conversations around growing their careers or the firm. Also, restructuring advancement to loosely mimic the consultant culture (analyst>associate>manager>sr. manager>vice president, etc.) might be helpful; outlining possible career paths and the metrics needed to achieve them would give employees a clearer vision of what's possible for them 3, 5, 10 years from their hire date. Finally, require management and leadership training for all people managers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Was excited to join the team and read great things until the dust settled and seen the company for what its really worth

Facility Engineer (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsDescent salary,PTO, merit raise can be ok at times. Possible advancement

ConsBeing promoted from within seems rare, self evaluations process is a big joke, along with "training". I was quite disappointed in the way such a large company as such can be so disorganized on levels from HR to payroll.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove job posting notices within the company for possible advancement.
    Create better training for employees, and assist with making career improvements.
    Improve the lines of communications for employees to local upper management.
    Need to start living up the title of ‘World’s Most Ethical Companies’.
    I'm a firm believer in the saying "a companies greatest assets are their employees", its time to start listening and make positive changes.

In & Out

Associate Project Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsJLL is a great resume builder and excellent for networking. Depending on your personality there is a lot to be learned from the senior level employees.

ConsIn New York, it's under staffed and the turnover rate is discouraging.

Facility coordinator

Facilities Coordinator (Current Employee) Chandler, AZ

ProsEnjoyed my work environment very much and the training that Jones Lang LaSalle gave me in different areas. There were many tools and training courses that applied to my job that I truly enjoyed. I liked that Jones Lang LaSalle was such a large company and there were many advancement opportunities.

ConsThe company was so large that you sometimes got forgotten. Reviews and pay raises were not addressed on time.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider listening to your Coordinators along with you Managers. Some Managers do not have the proper training for the job and the actual coordinators know more. Also Many Managers pass all their responsibility to the coordinator which is okay as long as the coordinator can get compensated properly for it.

Great

Analyst (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsBig Company, Good People, Great Experience

ConsToo Large For Some People

Advice to Senior ManagementSmall Working Groups Would be nice

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great large company with great people

Associate Project Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

Pros-Diverse range of talents and expertise, so opportunity to learn a lot from your peers
    -Employee evaluation/promotion process seeks to be fair and allows employees to set on goals/career direction/annual targets
    -Excellent platform for learning how to do things by the books and the correct way; for a younger professional who does not have strong notions already about how to operate, this is a great place to gain strong fundamentals.
    -Good benefits and good compensation compared with market
    -Above average culture, and strong ethics

Cons-Suffers from being a huge company with tens-of-thousands of employees and operations in almost every segment of real estate. I think this makes it difficult to convey a clear strategy that employees can feel passionate about getting behind. The goals/strategy seems to be "we are big, let's get bigger" which is great but it's not a mission that really inspires employees looking for more than just a stable paycheck.
    -Your experience depends on your managers. Very detailed processes established for how managers and employees should interact. Some managers take this structure and its awesome. Others simply don't care and have been at JLL long enough to where they don't have to worry about not implementing because they are high enough to be untouchable. Some other managers are new leaders brought in from outside the company (sometimes for one-off projects). These people often do not buy into the system JLL has established and it shows in how they deal with and manage their employees. This can have a huge impact on individual experiences at the company.

Advice to Senior Management-Focus on creating a more inspiring mission
    -Much allow more space for ground-up innovation. TOO much top down innovation. For example, the daVinci program harvests good ideas from employees so they can be implemented from the top. This is a good start but really innovation is better if the initial implementation happens at the bottom level and filters upward instead. It's faster, people feel they have at stake in their ideas, and people feel less like cogs in a giant machine. They feel ownership and the capacity to actually help build the company . Focus on allowing employees to utilize the JLL platform and resources to innovate. Innovation happens in the trenches. Over time there is no reason tech startups will not undermine the industry leadership JLL has because its innovation that does happen is SLOW SLOW SLOW and CAREFUL CAREFUL CAREFUL. The industry is a ripe for outside disruption. The internal tendency towards incrementalism is a text book symptom of a company that has grown to its size. It's a company well positioned to change the world and the industry (it has smart people, resources, and industry connections to make things happen), but my guess is that it probably won't.

great company - lots of opoprtunities if you seek out the challenge

Executive Vice President (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH

Prosgreat culture. teaming environment. get smarter working here.

Constakes long to change at times. management not refreshed, rotated often enough.

A lot depends on the client

Facilities Manager (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsOne significant benefit is that there are almost always tight team that works together.
    It is a fast paced environment based on change so you won't be stuck in a rut.
    There tends to be a lot of room for growth, particularly if you're willing to relocate or work in a big city.
    This is a very technology driven company

ConsLarge accounts can have key contacts spread throughout the country
    A tough client can mean a tough Job.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep supporting innovation and technology.

Worked for Jones Lang LaSalle? Contribute to the Community!