Jones Lang LaSalle

Updated Jun 21, 2014

Jones Lang LaSalle President, CEO, and Director Colin Dyer

Colin Dyer

11 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Better than other large commercial real estate companies, but not by a lot!

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Oakland, CA

ProsJLL is a large company and so has many resources to support your work function. It is generally better run than CBRE, Cushman & Wakefield and most of the other large competition. It also has a large international presence.

ConsBenefits are barely competitive and have been reduced in recent years. Unless you work in the Chicago HQ, there's little opportunity to meet leadership or even fellow employees in other job functions. Internal transfers are very challenging - you have to network as if you were looking for an external job. Like most big companies, HR is there to support management, not the employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees constantly hear about how well the company is doing but none of that success filters down to the regular employees. Our benefits are generally unchanged or reduced each year and annual raises barely keep up with inflation (2-3%). Instead of putting share holders first, dare to make employees the company's top priority (like the most succesful Silicon Valley companies).

I think that this company must very by location because I can tell you that the corporate office in SF is terrible.

Executive Assistant (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsSome employees are great but they are few and far between.

ConsAs a former EA I can tell you that the administrative team is treated like crap. Company is known for playing horrible wages and having bad broker splits.
    Super negative environment that works you death w no perks.
    In the time I was in this office literally 112 people left (60 person office).
    Brokers very in personalities but they are all out for themselves at the day.

Regional CEO is elitist and clueless.
    Would rather beg on the street than work there again, seriously.
    Especially now that I'm with a great company I can see how poorly the company treats people.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize all members of staff, stop
    ignoring turn over issues, stop the drama.

JLL is a great place to work!

Regional Manager (Current Employee)
    Berkeley, CA

ProsFlexibility of working at home; global company with global opportunities.

ConsI have no Cons. This is a great company that provides flexibility, opportunity for growth, bonding of relationships across the company at all employee levels.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Employee Experience depends on what Business Line you support

IFM (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsHighly qualified employees, Clear vision for the future, Excellent Culture, Clear communication from senior management, Excellent opportunity for advancement, Rewards hard work, Good benefits, Library of tested best practices

ConsSalaries inequitable, Can still be a "boys club" but they are trying, No work life balance if you work on a client account, No severance pay if they lose an account and don't have another account for you to go to, Continually increasing the amount of information that corporate requires but do not increase the staff to cope with the demand, If you don't live in Chicago you don't exist

Advice to Senior ManagementBe realistic when responding to RFPs and staffing client accounts. Provide training money for employees regardless of the size of the account. Provide employee motivation money (e.g. money for employee events) regardless of the size of the account. Get better recruiters so that we can replace employees when they leave in a reasonable amount of time. Stop congratulating and highlighting senior management achievements and start recognizing the people who are doing the work.

Good before the merge with Staubach

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros• Good benefits
    • Good PTO once you are there for more than 4 years
    • Well-known name in the Commercial Real Estate world

Cons• Stay away from the West Coast Marketing team. The Marketing Directors are unqualified to perform as real Marketing Directors. They got promoted only because they knew the right people at the right time.
    • Don’t value support staff, easily replaceable.
    • Be prepared to share the pressure but not the wealth, particularly as a support staff.
    • Very hard to get the tools you need to perform your job.
    • Marketing Directors can be abusive by screaming at employees. HR doesn’t do much even after bringing the incident to their attention.
    • Be prepared to be on call 24/7.
    • High turn over on the West Coast Marketing team.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire qualify Marketing Directors in the West Coast with real leadership experience.

Not stressful if you can handle a boss that yells at you

Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsFoodie boss. always a plus

ConsCouldn't advance, too small but boss did try

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease hire a better manager

Great opportunities with global access and a broad range of services.

Associate (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsGlobal company, diversity of services offered, great locations, smart personnel.

ConsHard to move up when offices are very small, limited amount of people in the group so lack admin and analyst support.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Don't believe the Hype

San Francisco, CA

ProsJLL seems to have plenty of work.

ConsThe pay is horrible, for the area.
    Very cheap company that brags about the money they make, but when it boils down the raises are very slim!

Advice to Senior ManagementReward the people on the bottom. The people on the top are always rewarde

Big Corp lost its focus

Property Manager (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsThere are some great people at JLL. Because it is such a large company you get opportunities to learn alot and work with even larger companies that partner with us.

ConsTo much politics. Seems people are always steping on other people to get even marginally ahead. Whats worse is that management tolerates this. Don't get me wrong, management plays all sides and rewards those that need to be rewarded, just not in public and small enough to be under the radar.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the Client and talent retention. Seems like threats about keeping your job come down all the time instead of ways JLL is working with its employees. I know the times are tough but is it really necessary for you to direct HR to tell all of us that we should just be greatful to have jobs. Really, you don't even pay our salarys, they are reimbursed.

Careful, you have to be prepared for the "big" company.

Manager (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsOne of the best reasons to work at JLL is because it is so big and diverse, you have an opportunity to learn a great deal.

Also, there are good people here. People that want the company as a whole to succeed.

ConsInternal Competition. All to often, its more about which party will benifit instead of what is best for the company.
    Short sightedness. Sometimes, it seems that decisions are made looking at just the immediate future and not two or more years down the road.

Advice to Senior ManagementClients come first, always. Not just the large clients, but all of them. Sometimes, waiving a $10,000 fee to keep a $1,000,000+ annual client happy, is just good business.

Worked for Jones Lang LaSalle? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Jones Lang LaSalle reviews and ratings in San Francisco, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Jones Lang LaSalle CEO Colin Dyer. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Jones Lang LaSalle employees.