Joonbug.com Reviews

Updated April 2, 2015
14 reviews filtered by
1.9
Jonathan B. Gabel

1. Joonbug.com was a great place to learn the basics of online publishing but it was a very boring environment.

Former Employee - Editorial Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Editorial Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Joonbug.com part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I learned how to write for an online publication. I had opportunities to go to events and then write articles about the events. I even learned how to interview music producers and singers.

Cons

Even though I learned a lot, the environment was just not fun. It was literally dark and no one spoke to each other. There was no idea of teamwork which I really didn't like.

Advice to Management

Don't have interns interviewing people for intern positions--I was never taught how to conduct a proper interview, I just felt stupid asking these potential future employees questions because I don't know the correct protocol.

2. it was okay. i didn't learn anything at all and many of the employers had select favorites and ignored the rest

Former Intern - Intern
    Former Intern - Intern

I worked at Joonbug.com as an intern

Pros

free access to events

Cons

running errands all day, didn't really learn anything useful

Advice to Management

don't neglect interns and m ake them run errands....

3. Room to improve

I have been working at Joonbug.com

Pros

Great for work experience, hands on experience. Some of the people working there are very skilled and do work very hard so you end up learning a lot from them.

Cons

No real room for growth. Poor pay at some points. You end up doing more work than what your compensated for

5. Going nowhere fast

Current Employee - Event Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Event Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Joonbug.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Casual dress, if you consider that a pro.

Cons

Long hours, low compensation, lack of professionalism, a company that exploits their employees.

6. Its a fun environment to work in.

Former Employee - Event Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Event Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Joonbug.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You learn a lot if you want, the President and VP help you a lot and are very honest with you.

Cons

late nights, and thats pretty much it.

It's an office sweatshop

I have been working at Joonbug.com

Pros

They took a chance on me. I worked as a cold caller during the holidays in 2010. The business practices where a bit shady, but I enjoyed the experience and culture because I was naive enough.

Cons

It's a right of passage to quit working at Joonbug at the beginning of your career in NYC.

Advice to Management

Just give up. this place is going nowhere.

You must me STUPID STUPID and STUPID

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Joonbug.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice staff room and pleasant secretary, thats it.

Cons

Management must be retarded, Everyone there is a yes person! No idea what the hell is going on

Advice to Management

Go back to school

Unorganized, and have not paid me.

Former Contractor - City Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - City Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Joonbug.com as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Nothing was good about this job. A huge waste of time.

Cons

I have not been paid my full work amount.

Red flags from the get go

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Joonbug.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

friendly coworkers, creative freedom & that's about it

Cons

Where to begin? Long hours for little pay, unhappy/overworked employees, money-hungry/soulless CEO, literally told us we were all replaceable (in a meeting to boost morale no less), high quit rate, shady & exploitive business practices, etc. I worked hard and did my best without any feedback (positive or negative) from the CEO. Editorial is second rate to events because the blogs generates little to no money therefore it is very neglected.

Advice to Management

I knew immediately that there would be no advancement, no personal growth, no teamwork, etc. The CEO has unrealistic expectations. I think he truly believes that people are willing to work for him because he's "Mr. nightlife." Give me a break--keep exploiting your interns. Unpaid interns & contributors write every article, with the exception of the editor-in-chief/associate editor. As Gawker learned in a recent lawsuit, that's illegal and against labor laws. If you want quality work by talented writers you'll need to offer a little more than "exposure." It's a mentally exhausting and ethically corrupt work environment. But I feared being fired for the harm it would to do my future career so I did what was asked of me. The kicker was the pay. I found out shortly after starting that everyone else made salary but I did not. Only event staff made a salary. This isn't true for the new person fulfilling the same role I held; they get a salary. The interesting, shady aspect of this is that it's the same EXACT job posting listed under a different title with IDENTICAL responsibilities but one has a 30k-50k salary/benefits while the other is paid 10/h without benefits...If you're doing the exact same work load with the same tasks it is not a question of qualifications/experience. Just food for thought.

Joonbug.com Response

Aug 8, 2013CEO

This was written by an associate editor who was promoted from an intern and was so happy and thankful for the chance. Before her time as an associate was up she moved on. Of course everyone else ... More

11. Terrible Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Joonbug.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There were some pleasant coworkers
    Flexible start time
    Get a paycheck if you are truly desperate

Cons

This place is a joke. Most of the people that start work there think it is going to be a real job, then find out in a couple of months that they are being taken advantage of and quit. Everyone that works there is miserable. The company deceives both its clients and its employees. Multiple female employees complained of sexual harassment, and the atmosphere seems to condone this sort of behavior

Advice to Management

Stop bullying and lying. Be honest with your employees, and pay them appropriately for their time. Don't make your wife the head of HR.

Joonbug.com Response

Aug 8, 2013CEO

We welcome anyone who wants to talk openly and not behind our backs to reach out to us. We offer people jobs, everything is explained in great detail. I am not sure what the real job comment means ... More