Joonbug.com

Jonathan B. Gabel

Marketing Intern

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Joonbug.com

ProsYoung and honest company. The company operates under a "work hard play hard" attitude. Full time employees treat interns with a lot of respect and interns are given plenty of responsibility.

ConsSometimes the tasks being asked of are kind of tedious and can be done in a more efficient way. At times many of those fully employed seem to be slacking off too much.

Advice to Senior ManagementDay to day goals and deadlines should be further implemented to streamline growth of the company. More open communication about clients' wants and needs

You must me STUPID STUPID and STUPID

Manager (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Joonbug.com full-time for more than a year

ProsNice staff room and pleasant secretary, thats it.

ConsManagement must be retarded, Everyone there is a yes person! No idea what the hell is going on

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to school

Unorganized, and have not paid me.

City Manager (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at Joonbug.com as a contractor for less than a year

ProsNothing was good about this job. A huge waste of time.

ConsI have not been paid my full work amount.

Red flags from the get go

New York, NY

I worked at Joonbug.com full-time for more than a year

Prosfriendly coworkers, creative freedom & that's about it

ConsWhere to begin? Long hours for little pay, unhappy/overworked employees, money-hungry/soulless CEO, literally told us we were all replaceable (in a meeting to boost morale no less), high quit rate, shady & exploitive business practices, etc. I worked hard and did my best without any feedback (positive or negative) from the CEO. Editorial is second rate to events because the blogs generates little to no money therefore it is very neglected.

Advice to Senior ManagementI knew immediately that there would be no advancement, no personal growth, no teamwork, etc. The CEO has unrealistic expectations. I think he truly believes that people are willing to work for him because he's "Mr. nightlife." Give me a break--keep exploiting your interns. Unpaid interns & contributors write every article, with the exception of the editor-in-chief/associate editor. As Gawker learned in a recent lawsuit, that's illegal and against labor laws. If you want quality work by talented writers you'll need to offer a little more than "exposure." It's a mentally exhausting and ethically corrupt work environment. But I feared being fired for the harm it would to do my future career so I did what was asked of me. The kicker was the pay. I found out shortly after starting that everyone else made salary but I did not. Only event staff made a salary. This isn't true for the new person fulfilling the same role I held; they get a salary. The interesting, shady aspect of this is that it's the same EXACT job posting listed under a different title with IDENTICAL responsibilities but one has a 30k-50k salary/benefits while the other is paid 10/h without benefits...If you're doing the exact same work load with the same tasks it is not a question of qualifications/experience. Just food for thought.

Flag Review

Joonbug.com CEO responded to this review

Aug 8, 2013

This was written by an associate editor who was promoted from an intern and was so happy and thankful for the chance. Before her time as an associate was up she moved on. Of course everyone else ... More

Terrible Company

New York, NY

I worked at Joonbug.com full-time for less than a year

ProsThere were some pleasant coworkers
Flexible start time
Get a paycheck if you are truly desperate

ConsThis place is a joke. Most of the people that start work there think it is going to be a real job, then find out in a couple of months that they are being taken advantage of and quit. Everyone that works there is miserable. The company deceives both its clients and its employees. Multiple female employees complained of sexual harassment, and the atmosphere seems to condone this sort of behavior

Advice to Senior ManagementStop bullying and lying. Be honest with your employees, and pay them appropriately for their time. Don't make your wife the head of HR.

Flag Review

Joonbug.com CEO responded to this review

Aug 8, 2013

We welcome anyone who wants to talk openly and not behind our backs to reach out to us. We offer people jobs, everything is explained in great detail. I am not sure what the real job comment means ... More

Sweatshop

I worked at Joonbug.com full-time

ProsYoung company, co-workers are generally nice people who want to do best for the company.

ConsManagement are deceitful, ridiculously long hours, militia-minded, everyone is replaceable, and the business is a total scam. Don't work here if you have any respect for yourself.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some morals; don't sell people on a full-time position when it's actually seasonal. They work themselves into the ground the months before New Years thinking their hard work would be recognized and then are kicked to the curb on New Years Day. You pay employees (both temp and full-time) pennies while you collect millions by throwing parties that are mediocre at best, and you also have no regard for the MANY dissatisfied customers (not kidding, we had to keep the office door locked because unhappy customers were showing up at the building wanting to speak to someone since phone calls and emails go unanswered.) You can't keep running your business the way you do, I don't know how you sleep at night.

Working at Joonbug was the most regrettable experience of my life.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Joonbug.com for less than a year

ProsFlexible start times, fellow employees are pleasant to work with.

ConsWith exception to the CTO, upper management staff are rude and inconsiderate. Underpaid and overworked employees receive no benefits or compensation for overtime. New employees are usually credulous recent graduates hired prior to New Year's Eve, expected to work ludicrously long hours for a laughable wage only to be fired on New Year's Day. Discerning and promising colleagues ended up physically and emotionally exhausted from working in some cases 30 days straight. A completely shambolic work environment - no one knows what on earth is going on. 2 female employees complained of sexual harassment.

Employees are merely cash cows for family management to get rich quick, there is no pride in the product - this is not a reputable company and certainly not something you want on your resume.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop taking advantage of hardworking honest people and stop being so sneaky.

One of the worst places I have ever worked in

I worked at Joonbug.com

ProsIf you don't have any bills to pay and can afford to pay to work basically- it may be good to get your foot in the door for events, public relations, networking in the nightlife industry. BEST for internships... not for full-time. You can find much better elsewhere!

Consno organization, no human resources, no one seems to know what is going on... ever. The office is not united- some people barely know if others work there or not- very strange and so are the owners. They place ads for event managers every week and have multiple interviews every week.
These poor people thought they would be hired for full time positions. They have the people go out to nightclubs and bring their friends or other people out, and many times will not reimburse them or pay them as promised. Also, about 80% of the people that you may see working there- are all INTERNS (working for free) It's a major scam!!! Biggest show of smoke and mirrors I've ever experienced.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet an office manager. Say what you mean and mean what you say. Stop LYING!

Most ill-managed company I've ever worked for

Marketer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Joonbug.com full-time

Pros-Flexible/late-morning work schedule.
-Not very difficult work, just requires very long hours.
-New office facilities

Cons-Often demands uncompensated overtime, so many employees end up receiving less than minimum wage per hour.
-Disorangized and often bickering family management
-High turnover
-Many female employees complain of sexual harassment.
-Low workplace morale, low sense of work mobility, often not the most achieved coworkers. Most ambitious coworkers I know have quit after 2 months there.
-Bosses send out abusive, often misspelled and ungrammatical, email missives.

Advice to Senior ManagementVERY important: please hold meetings before telling employees to do things!

I had good relations with the CFO and CTO, but the rest of the management rank was brusque, rude, bullying, expecting employees to stay til after midnight for $30k/year salary. The upper management is staffed with New Jersey nightlife impressarios. The 5 main managers often give contradictory orders without first meeting and agreeing on the best strategy. You'll often have to redo the same job many times, depending on each boss' whims.

Some managers pressure employees to work on their side businesses too -- like a New Jersey real estate website -- without extra pay. Is this legal?

Many female employees complain of sexual harassment. There is high turnover, low morale, and many seem not to have fared well in college or school. I do not recommend this job for intellectually prideful people.

If you need emergency cash, this might be an option. The economy is bad. Otherwise, I have found more intellectually stimulating environs waitressing at a diner.

Worked for Joonbug.com? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Joonbug.com reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Joonbug.com CEO Jonathan B. Gabel. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Joonbug.com employees.