Journal Multimedia Reviews

Reset
3.5
David A. Schankweiler

JM Happy Camper

Pros

I’ve worked for some great companies, but none like Journal Multimedia. Every company has to keep an eye on their bottom line if it plans to stay in business, but some lose sight of the staff who contribute to it. Not so here. Beyond the pay and benefits, which I think are excellent, they provide many great opportunities for personal and professional growth; community involvement; and team building fun. I’ve been here just under four years and have had the opportunity to participate in Excel training, advanced business letter writing, and the “Grammar Smacks” contest testing knowledge of common and arcane rules of grammar; I have been able to volunteer at the Boys and Girls club, join a team that constructed a playground, and help another non-profit organization that serves people in need; and I even learned how to juggle, all on JM’s time and dime. There have been summer picnics, reduced business hours on summer Fridays, extended holiday time off, company remembrances of birthdays, anniversaries and holidays, not to mention other kindnesses shown. But JM does have high expectations and standards, and that may not be for everyone. If you put forth the effort, the recognition and rewards do follow. It’s part of the culture, and I love it.

Cons

You have me at a loss.

Great people, great company

Current Employee - Account Executive in Mechanicsburg, PA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Mechanicsburg, PA

I have been working at Journal Multimedia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been with JM for over three years now, and one of the things that most stands out to me as an employee is the family atmosphere and emphasis on company culture. Having been in sales for over 10 years, things like training and personal development are not just perks of a job, but critical when looking for longevity and opportunities within a company. JM is not only dedicated to helping each department hone their skills, but each individual. I've enjoyed my successes here and feel a definite sense of support and encouragement to continue thriving in my position.

Cons

Sales can be a challenge at times, but the right person will overcome.

Top-notch employer, amazing place to work!

I have been working at Journal Multimedia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked in the media industry for over 20 years and I can safely say that Journal Multimedia is THE best company that I have worked at period. Most businesses have mission statements and core values these days, but JM LIVES theirs. The company culture is alive and creates an amazing place to work each and every day. I often wish that I had connected with this company much earlier in my career, as I am convinced that I would have been able to maximize my income and work/life balance much better over the years. I would recommend Journal Multimedia to ANYONE looking for a career that is personally fulfilling. Culture, executive management involvement in employees growth (professional and personal), and entrepreneurial spirit are all significant strengths of JM.

Cons

JM is not a place to "ride along" as an employee. Expectations are high and departments are very interdependent. If you are not willing to work hard you will struggle.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! You have created a "best-kept secret" employment opportunity in Central PA!

Great company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Journal Multimedia full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

JM has had many consecutive years of growth in revenue and profits, which makes it unique among publishing companies. The culture is definitely fun, but weaker performers are weeded out and of course some of them blame the company instead of acknowledging their own shortcomings. Many employees are here for 10 years or more. The company takes a busload of us to NYC for dinner and a show each year to celebrate. Very nice!

Cons

Because there are several divisions and offices in different states there are very few opportunities for the entire company to get together.

Sales

Current Employee - Sales in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Sales in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Journal Multimedia full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Company with a family atmosphere. CEO started an Associate Hardship fund. When the committee occasionally finds that the employee does not qualify for the hardship fund, they have given money to help that employee out. Summer picnics, Christmas parties and much more. CEO truly cares about his employees and has an "open door" policy.

Cons

No additional time off allowed after a cap of 19 days no matter how long you have worked there. Different departments so sometimes the communication between those departments is lacking, but they are aware of it and are working on it.

Advice to Management

With the open door policy in place, I feel that I have been "heard" many times over the years. No additional advice to management is needed

Excellent Place to Work!!!

Current Employee - Associate in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Associate in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Journal Multimedia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a growing and profitable company packed with great people. The people here are talented, hard-working, intelligent and they care …a lot. They genuinely care about each other, our customers, readers and attendees; and they sincerely care about the communities we serve. This group cranks out industry-leading work and has fun doing it. I’ve never seen owners so actively engaged in ensuring each associate has opportunities to succeed. Plus the pay and benefits are competitive and there are loads of “perks” ranging from picnics and parties to gifts and recognition, to leave-early Fridays in the summer, extended holiday breaks and even chair massages.

Cons

Sometimes it can be a little noisy with all the laughter and chatting after the weekend or when someone comes back from vacation …or just randomly. People who are negative and don’t have a positive attitude are usually not happy here (who knows where they would be happy) – sometimes we’re too nice to them for too long.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!!!

8. Sales

Former Employee - Account Executive in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Journal Multimedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Medical, Dental/vision coverage, PTO, some training

Cons

Way too may unrealistic sales goals, conststnt revolving door, never able to keep sales reps.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people out in the field. Don't ask for feedback and punish them for giving it.

Hot Mess

I worked at Journal Multimedia full-time

Pros

It was a paycheck Learned what NOT to do

Cons

Aside from everyone being over worked and underpaid because they refuse to staff the company appropriately, there is a huge lack of communication and nothing by hypocrisy. They preach one thing so they can keep up outward appearances, however, when it comes down to it, they practice none of it.

10. Good stepping stone not much else

I have been working at Journal Multimedia full-time

Pros

This company hires well - my peers are some of the best I've ever worked with. It's also a nice, 9-5 job (no nights or weekends). Good work-life balance.

Cons

Upper management has no idea how to treat employees. Happy employees = more productivity. However, they have the very archaic view of treating employees like workhorses in order to get results. There is no transparancy at all from top down, and many of the procedures are backwards and inefficient. We also have Citrix (the ability to access work files from home) and this company still requires us to come in to work on State of Emergency snow days with the penalty of a PTO day deduction if we don't come in. Many other similar practices. Also no room for growth, only sideways moves (if even that). Salary is also extremely low on the pay scale.

Advice to Management

Happy employees = better productivity.

11. What is the plan for growing the company and creating opportunities for employees?

I worked at Journal Multimedia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people, clean offices and quality weekly publication.

Cons

compensation is not that good and there is no room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Senior management needs to really have actionable conversations about how they are going to grow the company. Coming up with new print publication/supplement ideas and pushing sales into the weekly business journals in a digital age is not how to grow your business. Need to hire management leaders with true digital media background and expand your digital platform beyond the websites and a few email newsletters.

RSS Feed </> Embed