Journal Multimedia

David A. Schankweiler

Great people, rewarding work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Journal Multimedia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Each business unit has its own unique culture which fits into the larger organization pretty well. Some business units do perform better than others, though, and tend to be better places to work within the organization. Also, because of the variety of different businesses under one roof, we are able to take part in activities outside of our own business units (e.g. everyone who wants to is able to help with company-run events). There are also multiple company-sponsored parties throughout the year, which helps to increase the interactions between business units.

Cons

It helps to be very self-motivated, as the work can feel tedious at times. Many jobs are broken down into smaller steps, and this lends itself very well to people who like systematic work, like myself. Busy times of the year fluctuate, so some days can feel slow.

We already have opportunities to share our feedback with management personally, so I don't feel the need to do so here.

Best as a stepping stone not long term employment

Current Employee - Sales in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Sales in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Journal Multimedia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good vacation time, extra days off during holidays

Cons

Divisions of company work toward individual goals and aren't aligned to work towards common goal, mediocre at best management, empty promises regarding compensation, unrealistic goals, poor training, departments are very isolated from one another and don't interact well.

I would recommend if you are going to have manager once removed meetings that you do it for the purpose of hearing what needs to be changed within the organization not as a procedure where you act as though you want your employee to have a buy-in. In addition, I would make sure you have qualified leaders that can actually help take your employees talent to the next level instead of failing them and making empty promises. Realize that the issue is within leadership and not the employees.

Stay Away

Former Employee - Account Executive in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Journal Multimedia full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly employees, clean work environment, and company perks.

Cons

There is no lead generation other than your own, poor management, unrealistic expectations of performance.

Better organization, streamline operation, and take responsibility for your own poor planning.

Very poor management

Current Employee - Account Executive in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Journal Multimedia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

PTO, company perks, great medical/dental/vision benefits. Fun work enviornment

Cons

The owner of the company is not open to change or new ideas, as soon as they know your opinions differ from theirs they're out to get you. There is no employee retention weekly emails go out that someone "has moved on..." You are just a number and there is no loyalty o matter how hard you work. While the health benefits are good, the pay is not.

Be open to change and the company will be much more profitable