Journal Multimedia

David A. Schankweiler

1. Great people, rewarding work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Journal Multimedia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Each business unit has its own unique culture which fits into the larger organization pretty well. Some business units do perform better than others, though, and tend to be better places to work within the organization. Also, because of the variety of different businesses under one roof, we are able to take part in activities outside of our own business units (e.g. everyone who wants to is able to help with company-run events). There are also multiple company-sponsored parties throughout the year, which helps to increase the interactions between business units.

Cons

It helps to be very self-motivated, as the work can feel tedious at times. Many jobs are broken down into smaller steps, and this lends itself very well to people who like systematic work, like myself. Busy times of the year fluctuate, so some days can feel slow.

Advice to Management

We already have opportunities to share our feedback with management personally, so I don't feel the need to do so here.

Hot Mess

I worked at Journal Multimedia full-time

Pros

It was a paycheck
    Learned what NOT to do

Cons

Aside from everyone being over worked and underpaid because they refuse to staff the company appropriately, there is a huge lack of communication and nothing by hypocrisy. They preach one thing so they can keep up outward appearances, however, when it comes down to it, they practice none of it.

3. Good stepping stone not much else

I have been working at Journal Multimedia full-time

Pros

This company hires well - my peers are some of the best I've ever worked with. It's also a nice, 9-5 job (no nights or weekends). Good work-life balance.

Cons

Upper management has no idea how to treat employees. Happy employees = more productivity. However, they have the very archaic view of treating employees like workhorses in order to get results. There is no transparancy at all from top down, and many of the procedures are backwards and inefficient. We also have Citrix (the ability to access work files from home) and this company still requires us to come in to work on State of Emergency snow days with the penalty of a PTO day deduction if we don't come in. Many other similar practices. Also no room for growth, only sideways moves (if even that). Salary is also extremely low on the pay scale.

Advice to Management

Happy employees = better productivity.

5. What is the plan for growing the company and creating opportunities for employees?

I worked at Journal Multimedia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people, clean offices and quality weekly publication.

Cons

compensation is not that good and there is no room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Senior management needs to really have actionable conversations about how they are going to grow the company. Coming up with new print publication/supplement ideas and pushing sales into the weekly business journals in a digital age is not how to grow your business. Need to hire management leaders with true digital media background and expand your digital platform beyond the websites and a few email newsletters.

Best as a stepping stone not long term employment

Current Employee - Sales in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Sales in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Journal Multimedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good vacation time, extra days off during holidays

Cons

Divisions of company work toward individual goals and aren't aligned to work towards common goal, mediocre at best management, empty promises regarding compensation, unrealistic goals, poor training, departments are very isolated from one another and don't interact well.

Advice to Management

I would recommend if you are going to have manager once removed meetings that you do it for the purpose of hearing what needs to be changed within the organization not as a procedure where you act as though you want your employee to have a buy-in. In addition, I would make sure you have qualified leaders that can actually help take your employees talent to the next level instead of failing them and making empty promises. Realize that the issue is within leadership and not the employees.

7. Stay Away

Former Employee - Account Executive in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Journal Multimedia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly employees, clean work environment, and company perks.

Cons

There is no lead generation other than your own, poor management, unrealistic expectations of performance.

Advice to Management

Better organization, streamline operation, and take responsibility for your own poor planning.

8. Very poor management

Current Employee - Account Executive in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Journal Multimedia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

PTO, company perks, great medical/dental/vision benefits. Fun work enviornment

Cons

The owner of the company is not open to change or new ideas, as soon as they know your opinions differ from theirs they're out to get you. There is no employee retention weekly emails go out that someone "has moved on..." You are just a number and there is no loyalty o matter how hard you work. While the health benefits are good, the pay is not.

Advice to Management

Be open to change and the company will be much more profitable

RSS Feed </> Embed