Journal Register

Add Photos

John Paton

Years of uncertainty

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Yardley, PA

ProsLots of great co-workers. Due to my specific situation I was able to work from home with flexible hours. This was not standard practice though.

ConsWent through bankruptcies (plural) and a merger (if you can call it that) during my years here. Confusing company structure, uncertain future. Majority of personnel with no raises in 6 years. Major layoffs this year.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdmit that this industry is not savable and stop blowing smoke.

Great people, no future.

Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThe people here are the best aspect of this company … dedicated and hard working. The company seems fairly advanced in the digital world of newspapers, so it would be a good place to learn if you want to jumpstart a career in digital news media. PTO varies by property, and seems to be average or above. Personal benefits are decent.

ConsThis company is actively murdering its print products, and discarding people who produce them, in place of its digital brand. The conundrum is that it's still heavily dependent on its print revenue. This disparity causes a continual shift in goals and objectives. Staff at the local properties are undervalued, under appreciated, and underpaid, working without raises for nearly a decade. Sales objectives are a moving target, as is the commission structure. The recent bankruptcy and merger has resulted in a push to centralize to job functions to satellite locations, so no one at the local level, from top management down, is safe.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate oversight and accountability the local level, and communicate a clear and consistent message from the top to the bottom. Instead of devaluing your highly dedicated and skilled staff, recognize them for what they are – a hard-working, dedicated group of individuals who take pride in their work – in other words, your greatest asset. While you work on your corporate brand, you might want to consider your employer brand.

Fixing the plane while it is in the air

Editorial (Former Employee)

ProsHard-working staff, many of which are award-winners with years of experience. Good place to get a start and learn fast.

ConsStaff reductions have hurt morale as employees need to work long hours for pay which falls below industry standard.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time communicating with those doing work at the bottom of the organizational chart to find out what ails them. Open up your coffers and show your workers a good time every once in a while - team building exercises, treat to a lunch or happy hour, etc... Continue to invest in new talent to steer the ship into the digital age. Train your ad sales teams to better understand the digital marketplace before sending them out to sell your ad space.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

looking for a new position

Prosnice people in the department, supervisors have knowledge and skills needed

Consno salary increase in 5 years

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Long term employee that is overdue for a change.

ProsThere are no pros. Management has made sure of that.

ConsAbusive to employees, condescending and ignorant management. Petty and rumor spreading management right at the top in Philadelphia.
    It is a digital company yet all of our digital platforms are terrible. Pressure is over the top. Always on the edge of propriety, this company will do almost anything to save a buck.

Advice to Senior ManagementPhiladelphia is broken, its time for the CEO to recognize that and change out top management in the region. There are serious problems and current management team has no idea to fix it because they are too worried about cutting costs and beating up their employees. They need a marketing degree and some decent people.

Difficult company to work with

Account Executive (Former Employee) Torrington, CT

ProsLots of great people to work with and meet through community ties.

ConsNo communication, deceptive practices to employees and clients. The management cuts circulation without letting employees or advertisers know but continue to charge the same rates for less circulation.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the "feet on the street". We hear what the public is saying and what they would like to see (pay for) in your publications.

Micromanaged stressful company

Account Executive (Current Employee)

ProsGreat co-workers who try to support each other!

ConsCan't make up their minds as to what product we are selling today. One day you will be saying your product is better then another and then the next month you will be trying to sell the product you were calling inferior before. They have too many products which confuse the customers!

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micromanaging employees and give them better training and make up your minds what you want the company to represent!

Good place to work

ProsGood company culture, opportunities for advancement

ConsNewspaper industry is not stable

AR / Credit analyst

AR/Credit (Former Employee) Madison Heights, MI

ProsSuccessfully managed a daily newspaper in Ohio with over a million in outstanding receivables. Ran all credit checks to determine credit worthiness, determined credit limits. Maintained aging with making advanced credit calls, placing accounts with appropriate collection agencies, determine and presented quarterly candidates for uncollectable write off.

ConsUncertainty within the company structure, Journal Register filed for bankruptcy protection and the possibility of the company closing its Michigan operations has loomed more than once.

Advice to Senior ManagementStrong detailed Bookkeeper AR / Credit analyst from the beginning of the loan or credit request using credit and financial software to determine the credit worthiness of the client. Monitoring Receivables and Credit within the organization and reporting to portfolio manager and upper management, along with appropriate credit reporting agency.

Not where you want to spend your time

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere is nothing good about working for this company. Absolutely.

ConsTop/down bottom line management style more concerned with shaving pennies than paying attention to the needs of the community it "serves" or the interests of employees. If you want to work long hours for below market wages with the constant threat of layoffs, go right ahead.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your people and stop chasing pipe dreams. You've wasted good opportunities by investing in the wrong management and the wrong ways to service your customers. You've forgotten what journalism is about. Hint. Its not about filling the "news hole."

Worked for Journal Register? Contribute to the Community!