Journeys shoes

Updated January 19, 2015
2.5

Journeys shoes Chairman, CEO, & President of Operations Robert J. Dennis
Robert J. Dennis

Pros
  • The atmosphere is laid back and mostly everyone that works with you has a positive attitude (in 34 reviews)

• The 40% discount was great and even better when you could use it on sale items (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • minimum wage which is saying something for a full time management position (in 28 reviews)

• 170 as a base pay per week and then you have to work the rest commission (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Horrible, worst job ever.

Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate

I worked at Journeys shoes part-time (less than an year)

Pros

40% discount, thats the only pro.

Cons

-Managers are horribly mean and look down on part-timers.
    -Favoritism is strongly played here.
    -Good luck getting a requested day off approved.
    -Limited discount.
    -Direct family of part-timer arent allowed to use discount.
    -Low pay for amount of work expected.
    -Competitive selling.
    -Managers abuse authority, especially to steal your sales.
    -Managers dont care about part-timers at all.
    -They will write you up for not selling enough socks.
    -Managers get mad at new part-timers for asking questions 3 days after their first day.
    -Expectations are ridiculous.
    -They make you push 4 pairs of shoes on each customer and you get in trouble if you stop trying after hearing 5 "no"s.
    -Management has single-handedly put me in danger.
    -They shrug off work-related accidents or injuries, then get mad if you cant come in to work the next day following an incident.
    -Management breaking the policies for each other.
    -Lieing to customers.
    -Sales goals are sometimes impossible to meet.
    -Management shares confidential information of absent employees to other employees.
    -Management can be overheard speaking badly of part-timers.

I'm not even sure if it's possible to make this company better.

Fun, Friendly, and Easy

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at Journeys shoes part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone is young and kind. All very open-minded. You can be yourself. Just do your job and you'll be alright. They are flexible with schedules. I wasn't used to meeting sales goals before working here as I worked for places where that wasn't required- But meeting and exceeding my personal daily and weekly goals was really easy to do.

Cons

Nothing in particular stuck out other than all the climbing up and down ladders all day.

Move on Up

Current Employee - Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Journeys shoes

Pros

Journeys is a great job to get your foot in the door of management. If you have the skills and the right drive, even with no experience with management you have the potential to grab a position within months of working there.

Cons

As a manager there are a lot of hours put into work with not enough pay around the year. Sure you'll bank money on the holidays but after that downhill it goes until the next pop season. Not a job for people who have kids and bills.

Be considerate of your employees. Set up a work/life balance. So many hours are out in with not enough pay.

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Columbia, MD

I worked at Journeys shoes part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Discount, Releaxed, Diverse. I liked the fact that journeys was an easy going job outside of the holiday season. I met a lot of cool people, a few of which became close friends.

Cons

Fake growing potential- The company acts like they want to promote personal career growth, but in reality they simply hold you more captive. I saw numerous managers breakdown due to the stress of working 50-60 hour weeks and only receiving pay for 45 hours.

Value your hardworking associates, and don't make them waste time with mandatory double every week. Pay people for their hours worked rather than a weird version of overtime.

Co manager

I have been working at Journeys shoes

Pros

You can be your self

Cons

They over work you for a 150 base pay a week and 20 per every 1000 dollars you sale

Find a better job

Decent company

I worked at Journeys shoes

Pros

Fast growth, discount, commission, fast paced environment, wide range of assortments, hands on, sales. Management was pretty cool at times

Cons

Commission, district managers, store audits, shipment days, sometimes you have to travel, how fast you move up, lack of training.

Train staff better, treat staff better.

Retail Work Experience

Former Employee - Journeys Assistant Manager in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Journeys Assistant Manager in Richmond, VA

I worked at Journeys shoes

Pros

Good customer service experience because of how much interaction you have with customers.

Cons

Odd hours and there is alot of physical work for such small pay. Also, if district managers change (which is often), rules gets changed so it was a hassle accomodating something that was a habit. I use to be able to hand cash in night shifts but after the change, I wasn't able to cutting my hours a bit. One more thing, they work you to your bones with sales strategy and if you don't its a bad review.

don't even bother.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Journeys shoes part-time (less than an year)

Pros

- 40% discount.
    - Commission
    - Coworkers are down to earth (most of the time).
    - Fun environment when you aren't running around the store like a chicken without a head.

Cons

- Hours. Since hours are based off of sales there is no constant rate of how many hours you will get. One week you might get four shifts, the next you might just get one.
    - Pay. Even though we are given commission for each sale that we make, we are still doing a lot more work than what we are being paid to do.
    - SOP's: meeting monthly sales goals for shoes, socks and accessories. Of course selling shoes in a shoe store is quite simple, but enhancing the sale is what makes meeting the sales goals difficult. Most customers do not want to buy socks, shoe cleaners or a bag therefore monthly sales goals are almost impossible to make for most part time employees. The full time employees also have the same sales goals as part time employees (which really makes no sense).
    - Write-ups. Managers will write you up MONTHLY in certain stores for not achieving monthly sales goals. In order to prevent a write up you must have reached 2/3 sales goals (socks, shoes and accessories). 4 write-ups = termination.
    - The management is simply unprofessional. Managers talking poorly about other employees on the sales floor. Managers take advantage of breaks and sometimes walk out of the store when they please. I have also witnessed managers pulling out their cell phones on the sales floor in front of customers. Last but not least, having a discussion with an employee about being unprofessional while still on the sales floor and sending them home in front of customers.
    - 30 minute breaks for an 8 hour shift. Um..... How is that even acceptable?

Doesn't care about its employees.

Former Employee - Training Manager in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Training Manager in Troy, MI

I worked at Journeys shoes full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is a fun atmosphere to work in for a younger crowd.
    Forty percent discount available.
    Plenty of room to move up.

Cons

Low ability to use discount, especially for part time help.
    Management looks down on part time help.
    Ridiculous expectations of new employees.
    50+ hour work week.
    Day off requests frequently denied.
    Good luck getting a Friday or Saturday off if you are a manager.
    Company doesn't supply the right shoes to its stores frequently.

Pay your employees better. Employees who work for more than two years should be paid more than someone who just started.

Great Company

Current Employee - Store Manager in The Woodlands, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at Journeys shoes

Pros

-Discount first off
    -Great team
    -Good commission

Cons

-Hours (No work/life balance)
    -No sales for customers.

Get it together!

Journeys shoes Photos

Behind the scenes (the stock room)
Journeys Shoes Store Front