Joy Global

2.9

Ted Doheny II

Love Joy Global

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Joy Global full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have been working full time with Joy Global for over 6 months now and I absolutely love it. The management team in place is great, they offer competitive pay and a great benefits package. Plus the work - life balance is a big plus for me.

Cons

There are tons of opportunities for advancement within the company once you reach that one year mark, but until then you are expected to stay in your current position.

Continue to seek out advice/ideas from employees on continuous improvement ideas for implementation.

Great people and product, Awful Executives and Senior Leaders @ P&H

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Joy Global full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The equipment they manufacture is incredible. The size and scope are true marvels. The pay was better than average and the benefits were decent. While the travel can be daunting, the fact that they allowed it and encouraged it was awesome. There are many wonderful people that are passionate about what they do and why they do it and it is not just in Milwaukee but all of their locations.

Cons

Absolute lack of transparency. They hire people from other countries, move them to the US all the while there is a perfectly competent, capable, and qualified person to do the job. They do this under the veil of secrecy keeping the opportunity from their employees. Senior leaders are very cliquey and play highschoolish, immature games with young leaders. Be aware of the puppet master, she's the guy behind the guy whispering psychobabble in the ears of those who lack morals and courage to be real.

To the current CEO, don't lose who you really are and your ability to be the leader everyone experienced in Warrendale. Clean house in all of your departments, make decisions about those who support the mission of the company and those who are barriers to success. Get rid of the puppet master, she might be smart but is very dark. Support those who have the courage to speak truth to power and are willing to be innovative and creative against the grain.

Great management.

I worked at Joy Global full-time

Pros

Regular schedule. Great benefits and bonus program.

Cons

My position was not challenging enough to keep me interested. No upward mobility due to headquarter location.

Engineer

Former Employee - Engineer in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Engineer in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Joy Global full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Not much besides the paycheck.

Cons

Just a horrible and failing company. They bring in incompetent managers from outside the industry that have no idea how to run the business.

If you work at Joyless Global for more than a couple of years, it's time to move on to a real company. I had the worst manager while working there. He had some serious anger issues. If you are looking for work, look elsewhere. HR and their management will do their best to convince you it's a thriving company, but their stock price will paint a very different picture. Coal mining is doomed and for a good reason.

Look elsewhere for work. I do not recommend Joyless Global to anyone.

It's time to pack your bags and let qualified managers come in and take your place. Escort yourselves out.

Excellent culture and work-life balance!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Joy Global full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've really enjoyed the culture of Joy Global in my time working with the organization. They have competitive pay and great benefits. Management has a strong focus on employee development and aligning a career path with your personal goals.

Cons

I can not say that I've encountered any cons during my time with Joy Global. I have really enjoyed everything about my experience with this organization.

Not a great place

I have been working at Joy Global full-time

Pros

compensation is ok, benefits are good, many people to work with

Cons

No opportunity for growth, no clear objectives, management is very distant and enjoys partaking in the "shiny object syndrome" most days

assembly floor at franklin,pa

Current Employee - Final Assembly Mechanic in Franklin, PA
    Current Employee - Final Assembly Mechanic in Franklin, PA

I have been working at Joy Global full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The assembly floor was the best department to work in back in the 1970,s..
    Hourly and salary workers worked together daily and got the job done.
    It was nice to go to work in the morning..

Cons

Joy Global is indifferent to hourly employees. Machines take longer to build because supervisors who were hired by friends of the plant manager do not know what they are doing.. Joy Franklin is now demoted to a rebuild assembly floor.. So sad to see this happening..

Hire a company to clean house of excessive waste in management..
    Joy has more supervisors than workers ....

wide range of opportunities in a global company

Current Employee - Lead Person in Longview, TX
    Current Employee - Lead Person in Longview, TX

I have been working at Joy Global full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Well paid with a deep company history. Wide range of fields to work in (if you have a degree). new product lines and expansion on the horizon.

Cons

High management turnover rate leads to a lot of flavor of the month from senior leadership. Management seems to only embrace all the benefits of "silver bullet" lean programs but never support the steps needed to get there. They seem to jump straight to expecting the end result right when it starts. Very cyclic market, feast or famine at times.

Promote internally with employees who have actually operations experience and knowledge. Hourly shop floor workers are the direct labor, management should be supporting them, not the other way around. Recruit professional management for the long term.

Great career opportunity

Current Employee - Sales Estimator in Winfield, AL
    Current Employee - Sales Estimator in Winfield, AL

I have been working at Joy Global full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Career advancement opportunities
    Benefits
    Educational Reimbursement
    Good working environment

Cons

Lack of cooperation between various groups
    Dependency on coal market
    Self-centered management

Provide additional training for employees
    Raise educational reimbursement amount
    Increase transparency

It's OVER.

Former Employee - Why Would I Want to Identify Myself By Disclosing My Position? in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Joy Global full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are none, because traits such as "nice people" and "challenging" avoid the fact that this company is FAILING. It's OVER.

Cons

Not a company that a serious engineer, technician, or commercial specialist (new grad or experienced) should consider. Old general's club. 40 years behind CAT. Milwaukee engineers are locked in the 1970's, holding management hostage (intentionally working slow) and not smart enough to know that this strategy will cause China to defeat them within 5 years. I left voluntarily (this past year) for a leadership position elsewhere, having had good performance reviews.

Clean house in Engineering and start over. Sell the business to Berskshire, G.E., a multinational that will send in a cleaner and rebuild the technical foundation. The negative reviews on this site are true, and anyone investing in this enterprise is going to lose big.

Joy Global Photos