Joyce Meyer Ministries

Updated November 4, 2014
4.2

Joyce Meyer Ministries CEO, US Operations Daniel Meyer
Daniel Meyer

Good things going on in IT

Current Employee - Software Developer in Fenton, MO
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Fenton, MO

I have been working at Joyce Meyer Ministries full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- IT has grown especially more efficient and professional since I've been here.
    - The medical/wellness benefits are a plus as they offer preventative classes in addition to health insurance benefits provided.
    - Personally I enjoy learning and helping to contribute to the inter-workings of a worldwide ministry

Cons

- Can seem a little too structured at times, relying on how things have always been done
    - Many employees have been here for 10+ years, so there doesn't seem to be a way to expand much more into areas other than what you were hired for.

Keep up the good work! I enjoy coming to work at JMM.

Christian organization or religious organization?

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Joyce Meyer Ministries

Pros

Nice coworkers, beautiful building, knowing that your job positively impacts those who are in need.

Cons

Difficult to advance your career. Management plays games. Use bogus write ups to force resignations or reasons to terminate. Trust seemed low.

Get to really know your employees so that their strengths can grow and be used to advance the ministry. Don't pigeon hole people. Stop blurring the lines between being "religious" and being real.

Nov 25, 2014HR Manager

We very much appreciate your honest and open feedback. We encourage an open culture that inspires trust in every employee. Integrity and Unity are some of our Core Values and when they are lived ... More

I really enjoy working for a ministry with a mission to help others and spread the word of God.

I have been working at Joyce Meyer Ministries full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Competitive pay and benefits, casual Christian Ministry work environment, employee meetings are replaced with prayer time, chapels and core value studies, employees working together toward the mission to help hurting people in the world and spread the gospel.

Cons

Opportunities for career advancement are limited but opportunities for spiritual growth are more prevalent. If you are looking for a high risk, technical savvy place to work, this is not it.

Increase personal, sick and vacation time.

Awesome Place To Work

I have been working at Joyce Meyer Ministries full-time

Pros

Great benefits, great people, great vision

Cons

Not really any cons worth mentioning

Aug 27, 2014HR Manager

Thanks, awesome places to work are made by awesome people! You rock too!

Good people, poor leadership.

I worked at Joyce Meyer Ministries full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you have a desire to work in Christian ministry, it is unlikely to find a better working environment that also gives you free weekends, and functions as a typical corporate 9-5 job. The pay is decent, the insurance benefits are excellent as they pay 100% family coverage. My experience had a good work-life balance. The facilities are immaculately maintained, and various departments have their own ability to creatively apply features that make them unique. There are some really good people who work there, talented, caring, kind and normal. They do a lot of good around the world especially with their humanitarian outreach. The ministry owns everything they have because they don't believe in debt. So it is a very liquid organization. They own the multi-million dollar private jet, they own the building and everything in it, nothing is financed. So they have a very sold business model in that sense. The fact they stayed so liquid seemed to help them stay afloat during the recession.

Joyce can be extremely generous and thoughtful.

Even given all of the negative elements there is at least a sense that you are part of doing something good in the world rather than simply working at a company selling a product that is only about profits.

As long as you know what you are getting into and have resolved the issues in your heart that by working here you are selling and promoting Joyce Meyer, then I would recommend working at JMM, because every company has its issues, no company is perfect.

Cons

JMM could be a much better place to work if they valued their people in a much greater way.

They do not value family time nor family integration as many forward thinking companies do.

They don't compensate well for additional over time. Example if you work an additional 40 hours during a busy season you will probably only receive one extra day of comp-time. Although you are expected to work additional hours, you should not expect to be compensated for that. So you spend time away from your friends, family and personal life, yet you are not reciprocated. There are a lot of companies who do the same thing, but it seems even more out of place at a Christian ministry where family would normally be placed in high regard.

The CEO is seldom seen, except when staff members pass around photos from Facebook of him snowboarding at the family place in Colorado. The other brother is CEO of World Outreach and he actually DOES show up to work regularly. However his personality is tyrannical given the number of times that I would be in the bathroom and someone from his department would come in crying after having been scolded by him.

JMM is built on nepotism and cronyism. You need to know who everyone is and how they are related to the family so that you don't accidentally offend the wrong person. You may need to also carefully learn who the cronies are. They are the people who will swiftly throw you under the bus to keep their status or prevent themselves getting in trouble.

The system for giving raises when I was there was predictable. You meet with your manager and they go over a list of things that add up to a certain number of points. These points determine what raise you qualify for. In all cases the deck is stacked against you because essentially they are looking for reasons to grade you low, so that they don't have to give you as much of a raise if any at all. You can do 100 things right, but if based on their opinion you did one thing wrong, it counts against you. The wrong thing is what is remembered on your review. The 100 things right that you did was simply you performing at the expected level. In other words if you do everything RIGHT you will be marked as performing as expected. Even if you went above and beyond what actually would be required to accomplish those things, it is not counted as performing above expectations. So it has generated a culture that applauds the status-quo. Or an idea that you should work just hard enough not to get fired. Don't stick your neck out, don't try anything new, just stay steady and build those proverbial Joyce widgets.

There are many talented wonderful people stuck here because of the great insurance benefits but if they had a way out many of their best employees would be gone. It doesn't have to be that way. A cultural shift in the way they treat employees could make JMM a fantastic place to work. But their previous attempts to show appreciation have been token gestures that come across as disingenuous.

Show appreciation in dramatic, tangible ways. There is so much talk about doing things for the world and helping people outside of the ministry, yet you have several hundred people working with you everyday who are hurting, and need help. I doubt that management could do much at this point, but essentially you need to TRUST people more. You need to care about people more. You need to offer more opportunities for people to feel rewarded, appreciated and fulfilled. Treat employees as if the COMPANY is getting the better end of the deal. Treat them as if JMM is privileged that those employees are working there, instead of treating them like the paycheck is thanks enough.

Aug 27, 2014HR Manager

Thanks for your comments, we appreciate your feedback. At Joyce Meyer Ministries we value people and believe that the ministry is made stronger by its exceptional team members. Our culture is ... More

Voted one of the best places to work in St. Louis, MO

Current Employee - Project Manager in Fenton, MO
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Fenton, MO

I have been working at Joyce Meyer Ministries full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working for Joyce Meyer Ministries is much different than working in the corporate world. Employees at the ministry are valued and appreciated; all levels of the organization truly care for and respect each other. We work in a beautiful environment and have great outdoor space to enjoy during breaks and lunches. At the end of each day, I know that the hard work and dedication each employee puts in allows us to help more people. Sharing Christ ~ Loving People! Some other great benefits are weekly prayer, chapel, health insurance, volunteer opportunities... the list goes on and on!

Cons

The commute each day is a bit far, but it is worth it!

Thank you for leading by example.

Wonderful place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fenton, MO

I have been working at Joyce Meyer Ministries full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I love my job. I've been there many, many years and am a very happy employee. I receive great pay, great benefits and extra perks.

Cons

My field of work is a boys club even working here.

Apr 29, 2014HR Manager

Thanks for taking a moment to let us know your thoughts. It's great to hear that you really loved your job. We are sorry about your experience with our culture. We take your comments seriously and ... More

Quite the confusing environment

I worked at Joyce Meyer Ministries full-time (less than an year)

Pros

--Supportive and friendly teammates
    --Solid mission/vision/values

Cons

--Poor leadership, especially in the IT group
    --Selective and manipulative application of biblical standards (i.e., employees are taken to task for management's version of biblical standards for conduct, yet management routinely displays lack of regard for the same standards)
    --Poor pay
    --Puppet HR department - they know what needs to happen but have no power to enact change

Your employees can see through the facade... just be transparent and lead without all the spiritual manipulation.

Apr 29, 2014HR Manager

We are glad your experience with your co-workers was good. Thanks for your support of our mission and values. We always want a positive work experience for every employee. We strive to ensure our ... More

We loved being a part of her ministry, Joyce Meyer is a woman of integrity.

Former Employee - Travel Team
    Former Employee - Travel Team

I worked at Joyce Meyer Ministries part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

We enjoyed traveling to each city that Joyce was having her conferences and meeting as well as being an extension of Joyce and Dave, by meeting people and speaking words of encouragement to those who came to the products table. We also enjoyed the relationships we made with some of the team members.

Cons

After working with them for 15 years we were let go, and when we asked why first we were told due to budget cuts, when I found out my supervisor hired his son as well two other people we were given yet another excuse, when I asked for a letter for the ministry I was given a letter which said we were not doing our job. I have documentation proving that was not true. We were told that on our final trip we would have a get together with the rest of our team to say our good-byes, that never happened.

The people Joyce and Dave have given the responsibility to run the ministry they don’t have a clue on how to be a good manager, they have no regard for the people working under them who are afraid to say anything for fear of loosing their jobs, no one is allowed to speak to Joyce or Dave because they are told the must go through the chain of command, as a result Joyce & Dave have no idea how their workers are treated of how what they think. I honestly believe that these unskilled upper management people are going to take this ministry down the wrong path.

Apr 29, 2014HR Manager

We appreciate your comments. Please know that we take them seriously and they are being reviewed by our Executive Management Team.

Great place to work and grow

Current Employee - Call Center Lead in Fenton, MO
    Current Employee - Call Center Lead in Fenton, MO

I have been working at Joyce Meyer Ministries full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people and the Benefits are awesome

Cons

Flexibilty, thats about it in my situation

Joyce Meyer Ministries Photos