Judicial Branch of California

Updated September 8, 2014
Updated September 8, 2014
2.5

CEO

Eye-opening internship at the Judicial Council of California's Information Technology division.

Current Employee - Unpaid Data Integration  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Unpaid Data Integration in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Judicial Branch of California as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Good exposure to quality assurance & control, project management methodology, and government work environment, willingness to accommodate your desire for experience by tailoring the internship to particular interests related to Information Technology and/or the Judicial Branch, flexible hours, intelligent/fun-loving co-workers, may reimburse for commute to & from work.

Cons

Lack of amenities (like free water/snacks), delay in getting what you want (you have to ask multiple times, and it may take a long time), necessary to push hard for what you want (which can be a pro, considering I felt this developed my ability to take the initiative)

I like that management has kept the office culture fun, but strict enough where work can be accomplished. My supervisor was helpful and patient in answering any questions, and pushed me to be a more professional worker.

Judicial Council of California

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Judicial Branch of California as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Judges make the administrative decisions without consulting the individuals whom have to implement them

Upper management needs to listen to employees more. It is run by judges who are not the best suited for that job.

Ok place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Judicial Branch of California

Pros

Ability to take time off; furlough days - extra days off and work/life balance

Cons

Energy day to day, low energy office; dynamic employees

N/A as I am a consultant

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's a Government Job

Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst
    Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst

I have been working at Judicial Branch of California

Pros

State employees enjoy 13 holidays per year, on top of accruing time off at the rate of about 2 days per month (assuming a full-time position). Of course, the budget crisis has put some of these holidays in jeopardy. Health benefits are usually the reason why people stay for the long-term.

Cons

Too political to the point that nothing seems to get done. Add today's budget crisis and it is a less than ideal place to start your career or to grow it.

You can't please all of the people all of the time or even some of the time. Make a decision and lead.

Budget Woes make this an uphappy place to work

I have been working at Judicial Branch of California

Pros

Flexibility with scheduling and plenty of time off.

Cons

We have furloughs
    there is too much concern over the potential of job loses.

Negative

Current Employee - Court Appointed Dependency Attorney
    Current Employee - Court Appointed Dependency Attorney

I have been working at Judicial Branch of California

Pros

Flexibility offered in work schedule as court appointed juvenile dependency attorney. Paid by Judicial Council on case by case hourly rate. Opportunity to learn, gain experience working with parents, minors in foster care and contribute efforts to positive result: rebuilding families. Some AOC employees are conscientious, helpful and respectful when communicating with members of legal community (court appointed attorneys).

Cons

AOC (Admin. Office of Courts) policy of forcing court appointed attorneys for dependency cases to accept flat rate 2 or 3 year "contracts" to provide services per County at ridiculously low rates that do not include reimbursement for expenses, overhead costs or out of the ordinary circumstances requiring additional attorney hours per case. For court appointed attorneys who do not accept contract terms offered by AOC, professional life becomes hellish. AOC attempts to enforce standards for court appointed (non contract) attorneys such as only paying 1.5 billable hours per month per case, denial of requests for reimburse for out of pocket expenses. AOC tries to limit attorney's independent representation of clients by imposing impossibly unrealistic standards (1.5 hours per month per case billable time) and threatening not to pay billings that reflect more time spent per case per month than 1.5 hours. Takes as long as 4-6 weeks to receive payment for services and in some cases, such as the State budget crisis occurring July 1, 2010 -October 10, 2010 dependency attorneys did not get paid until budget passed (3.5 months).

Find other ways to balance the budget than continuing to squeeze every dime from those juvenile dependency attorneys working under AOC contract or by court appointment. Reduce AOC staff and give up those "pet projects" that account for hundreds of millions of dollars that should be spent on keeping our court system open through budgetary tough times.

Worked for Judicial Branch of California? Contribute to the Community!