Juilliard School Reviews

4.5
Joseph W. Polisi

1. The Cream of the Crop

I have been working at Juilliard School

Pros

You are surrounded by the best of the best. Teaching at The Juilliard School is always a pleasure.

Cons

I have taught an annual course there for many years and my only complaint would be that they take a while to pay.

2. A wonderful vibrant, dynamic, international environment, with excellence across the board

Former Contractor - Costume Designer in New York, NY
    Former Contractor - Costume Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Juilliard School as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

State of the art facilities, knowledgeable, amenable and enthusiastic staff. The students are on a path of excellence, which gives the whole school an incredible energy.

Cons

Lots of long hours depending on the job, a very heavy administration which makes getting things done sometimes a little more complicated than needed. Very little benefits for contractors.

3. creatively unfullfilling

I have been working at Juilliard School

Pros

steady income for at least 9 months with possible opportunity to be hired as full-time staff upoon finishing internship
    great way to build connections in NYC during internship

Cons

very academic..performance is high caliber, but "the process" is very collegiate.

5. Juilliard Professional Internship - Every is awesome but the pay

Former Employee - Electrics Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Electrics Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Juilliard School

Pros

It's Juilliard. That should be enough. But if you need more, here goes: this job is the perfect bridge between school and the real world. You really get to stretch your wings and learn to work in a professional theatrical environment with ample guidance and tutelage from your supervisors. Many interns go on to great success in their various fields with many connections in the professional world that will land them jobs later on. Some interns (like myself) realize that perhaps this industry/job isn't for them and are given an opportunity to turn back (versus committing to grad school and realizing how unhappy you are in your choice).

Cons

Simply this - the pay. The internship is one of the best paid in all of NYC, and for the experience and connections you get it really is amazing (and you get health insurance for a year!). But damn - living in NYC on less than $300/week - that's BEFORE taxes - is rough. Hope you like ramen and living in Bushwick.

Advice to Management

Find a way to work with the interns to get them on food stamps. Some of us qualified, and some did not (which was total B.S., we're all paid the same). But food stamps would have been a godsend...

6. Great place

I have been working at Juilliard School

Pros

Reputation is the best in the business.

Cons

Lack of security for faculty.

Advice to Management

The Dean or President should have formal regular feedback and/or evaluation from faculty to leadership and from leadership to faculty.