Jump Trading

www.jumptrading.com

Jump Trading Reviews

Updated May 13, 2014
Jump Trading – Chicago – “too many questions”

Matt Schrecengost

good place to work

C++ Developer I (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsFast paced, challenging. Working with smart people.

ConsLimited grows opportunities. Little expose to business knowledge.

Advice to Senior Managementshare goals and directions with employes

Jump Trading, LLC

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsJump Trading has Great Benefits and wonderful atmosphere to work in.

ConsHowever, this company is Very Political, does not recognize people and their potential unless you're within their cluster of friends.

Great company to work for

IT Department (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsPay is great, surrounded by lots of smart people

ConsSometimes felt like they focused too much on finding the best talent and not on building good teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Rewarding.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Culture. Awesome office. Lots of social activities. Work is challenging but satisfying. Less grind more thinking. A very strong "work hard and reward hard" culture.

ConsYoung work environment can contribute to pressure to work very long hours but then this is standard in this industry. However, this is offset by a very accommodating culture.

IT

Prosthe benefits are pretty good

Consthe weekend work is not fun

Algorithmic Trader Intern

Algorithmic Trader (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros- Very good internship program with many learning opportunities. Lots of exposure to experienced traders.
    - The firm seems to have many teams that are doing quite well.
    - Friendly traders who are the opposite from the type you would expect after reading books like Liar's Poker. One trader bought us M&M when we had to work late one day, and another one took us out to a very nice dinner on the last day of the internship.
    - Free lunch on Friday.
    - Four monitors and 12-core desktop for each intern. Good intern events, and great intern housing.

Cons- Teams at Jump are largely independent of one another. You will still learn a lot, but the teams won't tell you the source of their alpha so you have to figure that out yourself.
    - Finding your own profitable strategy is hard. You are guaranteed to fail multiple times during that process, which can be quite demoralizing.
    - No free lunch Monday-Thursday. People tend to eat lunch at their desk.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall, the internship program is well-designed and well-run - keep up the good work. Perhaps, some statistics classes and exposure to more teams for the interns will be helpful. Also, it helps to have a more gender-balanced intern class.

Developer

Software Development (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsA lot of smart people around you, and it's a good learning environment.

ConsDemanding working environment, a lot of pressure and hard to have life work balance

teams don't talk to each other

Algorithmic Trader (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Proslooks like they are making a lot of money at the moment; established and have high "ranking"; free fruit in the kitchen

Consteams don't talk to each other -- limited learning opportunity as a new hire;
    my supervisor was particularly self-important -- late for meetings and leave meetings in the middle abruptly without a reason, etc

Good company, but experience varies widely depending on the group one is in.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGood people, generous pay & benefits, lack of hierarchy, state-of-the-art infrastructure

ConsIf you don't make it into one of the top groups your ride will be a rough one. As in many places, workload can be enormous. There's a caste system of sorts separating the programmers from traders and other analysts. It's not the best place to learn about the business since the groups don't collaborate with one another.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't just throw bodies at a problem - grow wisely (or not at all since the company is large enough).

Driven, fast paced

Prosintelligent and personable coworkers, state of the art toolbox

Conslack of organization in some instances

Worked for Jump Trading? Contribute to the Community!