JumpstartMD

Updated December 11, 2014
Updated December 11, 2014
2.4

Sean Bourke

Rewards are here if you want them.

Current Employee - Program Counselor
    Current Employee - Program Counselor

I have been working at JumpstartMD full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working here feels like being adopted into a family. Management strives to provide a warm, supportive environment, and great care is taken to highlight individual achievements and strengths. Each individual clinic has its own personality and feels like a team, and regularly scheduled staff get to know one another well. There's a lot of socializing with colleagues outside of work hours, which reflects the good, friendly environment. Perhaps it's a personality trait common to people who work as counselors, but there seems to be a lot of talking and hugging!

A high standard of etiquette and patient care is expected, and I found the training to be very thorough, with strict protocols for everything from the first visit for the new patient right through weekly appointments, discussions about medications, shots, paperwork, and final visits. We receive regular training sessions, constantly upgrading our nutritional knowledge. Management are great at responding to query emails very quickly. We have regular all-hands meetings, and staff are kept up-to-date with company matters. I find that to be very comforting. If there's a question, it's OK to ask, and it will be answered. I find management at all levels to be very approachable.

The company recently went through a rapid expansion, and systems were introduced and upgraded to handle the increased numbers. These seem to be working well - e.g. systems for scheduling, time off requests, and in-staff communications. Staff are given opportunities to use their individual strengths and talents within the company - so you might find program counselors making videos about exercise, teaching patient seminars or writing blog posts.

I think that we all get out of Jumpstart what we put into it. Those who are ambitious and energetic will find themselves with plenty of interesting opportunities.

Cons

With the rapid growth earlier in the year there seemed to be a new staff person every day, a new protocol, and a new system to log into and learn - along with a surge in new patients, so at times it felt challenging and stressful, but for the most part this has settled. Compensation is tricky - when you live in the Bay Area, it's never going to be enough! I feel that there are not too many staff members to spare, so if somebody gets sick it can throw the whole day off, which trickles down to extra pressure on staff and potentially disgruntled patients, who may find themselves waiting to be seen.

As the company expands, please maintain the feeling of family! It's one of the great things about working here. Encourage staff to pursue further study, to enrich the company's skill base.

Supportive, positive staff in a challenging, fast paced environment.

Former Employee - Program Counselor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Program Counselor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at JumpstartMD full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Jumpstart was a supportive and engaging job where I had easy access to communicate with management and positive, friendly coworkers. The counselors and clinicians worked hard with the patients to be successful in their weight loss goals. The program offers effective weight loss strategies, but losing weight isn't easy. I was given the training and information to be effective in my role and kept learning throughout my employment. Outside of work I took classes, volunteered and had a social life and Jumpstart was very accommodating with my schedule. Getting days off was always easy, except around the holidays when everyone wants time off. You do have to work some Saturdays but that is so other employees aren't stuck working them every week. I find this pretty reasonable. Any meetings are made known well in advance and help build the team. My work-life balance was never an issue. The company compensates its employees well and offers great benefits such as health and dental insurance and 401ks. I was frequently recognized by managers for my hard work which made me feel confident in my work. Jumpstart offers the opportunity to build your knowledge base and communication skills that you don't find elsewhere. I worked in both of the San Francisco offices which were beautiful spaces and in great locations. I left Jumpstart to return to school (which they were in full support of), but I would have loved to remain an employee.

Cons

When I was working at Jumpstart, it was a growing company. This meant some growing pains including a busy patient schedule. It is challenging, so if you're looking for a job to sit back and relax this isn't it. But you truly see more success with patients than not, and that's what keeps you coming in each morning.

Continue to recognizes employees' hard work. Ensure each employee feels supported and utilize the unique backgrounds that they bring to Jumpstart.

Would not recommend working here

I have been working at JumpstartMD full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working with the patients that actually want to change and lose weight.

Cons

No values, poor communication, no opportunity for growth, training is a joke - we train each other on injections (all non-medical professionals) and we give EKGs with no experience! People all get started at varying salary levels - it has nothing to do with education or experience but how much they want you to work there. Hard to get time off, especially if you are sick. Very much focused on middle management. Lack of support for clinic staff and those that actually work with patients. Forced to see a patient in 15 minutes - take BP, weight, body scan, give injection - and then provide support for weight loss. Impossible to actually counsel people and truly help them emotionally. Focus is on money, and on bringing in new patients, as the first appointment is over $300! Often will not get a break or time to even use the restroom. It is true that if you question anything about the company or bring up suggestions for improvement that you will not work there for long. Just do as your told, don't say anything about issues, follow their schedule every day, don't go over your 15 minute appointment window and you could stay working there forever. But why would anyone want to? The same rules do not apply to everyone, and you really cannot trust anyone. It is sad that there is such a lack of support from management as well as those working with you day-to-day in the clinic. Also, the whole premise of the program is not about lifestyle change or nutrition. So many patients just want the appetite suppressants and want to change nothing else. You can only eat meat and dairy pretty much - we often were told to recommend avoiding all fruits and vegetables except leafy greens.

Billion $ Industry

Former Employee - Program Counselor

I worked at JumpstartMD full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Built some great relationships with patients. While some patients were looking for a quick fix, many were looking for a change in their relationship with food.

Cons

Poor management, poor communication, poor training, no vision.

Make it more than just about the money. Instead if grooming employees to make it a better company, seems they are building the company to sell it to become nationwide competition with WW.

Company that does not value their employees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at JumpstartMD part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Offers part-time work for those looking for under 35hrs/wk. Decent pay for the job market.

Cons

Overbooked and under-staffed on many occasions. Volatile work place environment with staffing and management and structure changing constantly. Saturdays are required for all employees.

Company has no values, employees are probably treated better at a fast food joint.

I worked at JumpstartMD part-time

Pros

Working one on one with patients to lose weight.
    Convincing yourself that you are focused on improving the health of others.

Cons

*No values

*Absolutely no communication

*Monotonous and no opportunity for growth

*Training is a joke, we train each other on injections

*Poor/no management skills (just because you are a nurse or doctor does not make you a good manager)

*Expected to give all of your time for a p/t position (meetings on your day off, extended clinic hours w/o notification, off-site meetings with less than 2 weeks notice - mandatory/no option).

The number of patients that you see is $$$. At $90 for each 15 minute visit, they expect you to go, go, go. Expect to see an average of 15 - 20 patients per day with no breaks or lunch. You instruct patients to eat every 3-4 hours while your stomach is growling.

Doesn't matter if you work hard or patients like you. If you question anything or anyone expect your days to be numbered! Same rules don't apply to everyone. Trust no one!

Program is not about lifestyle change or nutrition. It's about eating 800 calories per day while on appetite suppressants. So sad to see so many patients gain the weight back within months. While MD is in the name, good luck seeing either of the doctors.

Instead of continuously meeting with employees to confront them about being unhappy, give credit and praise to those that actually do the job well.