Junior Library Guild

Updated February 26, 2015
9 reviews filtered by
2.3
CEO

1. Had the opportunity to sell an invaluable service to libraries!

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Plain City, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Plain City, OH

I have been working at Junior Library Guild full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Selling an amazing service and products! Also in the call center it was casual dress and flexible hours, you had your own database of libraries to sell to and you made your own hours between 8am-6pm everyday. They were great about promoting teamwork and lifting each other up! All of the ladies (and a handful of men) were a pleasure to work with. Have a great system to help balance your hourly compensation with commission even during the slower times around the year to help budget your money! Earning paid time off is pretty easy and there are some great money making incentives for a good sales day!

Cons

For me, it was not a good fit. It is a call center. You sit and make calls all day long. So if sitting at a desk all day is not your style I wouldn't bother with it. There are two blackout periods where you cannot take off work for any reason without accumulating points for attendance between April 1-June 15 and September 1-October 31st, I have a young son who got sick a couple of times and I got points for taking off work, which doesn't seem fair; however, I understand that at that time the company is making most of it's money... Kind of like Christmas time for retail stores.

Advice to Management

At times management seemed to be 'bi-polar' one minute everyone is a rock star and the next minute you feel like you are going to lose your job because of a few bad days.

2. The company markets a great product but decision making is freakish and counter-productive at best.

I worked at Junior Library Guild

Pros

Great product, great hours, great benefits.

Cons

It is an over glorified call center where you are micromanaged like children. There is a no fragrance policy which makes at least 90% of the workforce uncomfortable. This means no aftershave, no lotion, and no cologne. If someone has serious sensitivities to these items then they should simply be segregated rather than alienate needs of the majority. Their policy says NO COLOGNE, NO AFTERSHAVE, AND NO LOTION. Where we are in Columbus is 0 degrees. I think something like lotion is not a creature comfort but a necessity. Managers warn you not to ask for office supplies you need because the person who distributes office supplies is mean and WILL be mean to you. When I left the shipped my personal items back to me and a cup I kept on my desk (which I made when I was young) was broken. Its sentimental value cannot be replaced but they certainly should have offered and they did not. I was afraid they would start telling me what detergent to use and what I could eat. Just freaky. I am also still waiting a week later on the rest of my personal belongings.

Advice to Management

Admit when you are wrong and never I repeat NEVER make minority based decisions where you alienate the majority. Change your policies to work for employees and maybe you would not have so much turnover.

3. Pyramid Scheme

I worked at Junior Library Guild full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay $11 (ONLY if you come through acloche then it goes down to $8) plus commission.
    Can read the books they sell for free
    A job
    Flexible hours

Cons

Training was laughable. It seemed to me you only got a territory once someone left. Which happens often. You get a 'territory' of about 3500 librarians and are expected to call and help them. Well thats great and all but they expect you to make 80 dials a day and 2.5 hours of talk time. Many times librarians would hang up on you or told you to put them on the DNC list. I felt bad because we are taught to tell them that these books are 'new' when in reality they've been out for 6 months!! Don't leave for a week. Someone will go into your territory and steal ALL your commission!!

Advice to Management

Stop only paying attention to the top percent. Spred the territories out more.

5. A GREAT place to earn extra cash

I worked at Junior Library Guild full-time (less than a year)

Pros

nice product, great perks--incentives to sell--great social environment, fun place to work

Cons

worked here in winter and the roads were scary

Advice to Management

Keep supporting the teams they way you do. Your encouragement helps everyone earn more money

6. Customers would be sickened if they knew how employees are treated here.

I worked at Junior Library Guild full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Sell great children's books at terrific prices.

Cons

Employees are treated like trash.They are disposable. They hire mainly desperate people so they will tolerate the unfairness, intimidation and childish behaviors, Upper management has sex scandal with employees.

Advice to Management

You need to rexamine your ethics and behaviors toward hard-working individuals,

Not worth it.

I worked at Junior Library Guild full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule. Low stress if you don't expect to make any money. Your supervisors are always around, but don't hold you accountable for your numbers to your face.

Cons

Training was HORRIBLE and inconsistent. Don't expect to make any money. When you start you get the worse "territory" that no one else can penetrate. Even though the sales goals are being hit and the company is growing, only the top 5% make a ton of money, but they have been there for years and have gotten the best territories. The commission is convoluted and changes daily. They say the incentives are for your benefit, but it ends up being so confusion and hard to track, it becomes demotivating. Don't expect to ask for clarification from your supervisor. 1) You won't get a clear cut nor consistent answer and 2) If YOUR fault for not knowing the answer. The moral sucks. People who have been there for years will not make eye contact with you or get to know you since they know you will be gone soon.

Advice to Management

Get a Sales Manager that has had Leadership training. Lose the complicated incentives.

A Big Mistake

I worked at Junior Library Guild full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Some flexibility in hours as long as you put in 40 hrs per week.. Health benefits. Potential of getting off by 2:30pm if you work your hours correctly. Clean, well lit work environment. Just sit on phone all day so no heavy lifting!

Cons

The supervisors bully you. It is awful. It is like working in the "Stepford Wives." Training is poor. No learning curve is allowed. Supervisors show favoritism and will talk negatively about other employees within hearing distance of employees! Very noisy as far as listening to other employees on the phone. Basically a commission job in sales dept and you will make almost no commission in the summer and Nov/Dec.

Advice to Management

Training needs to be addressed!!!! It is mediocre at best. You supervisors need management training at the very least. Too few people doing too much.

It was an OK "bridge", just until I could get my next job.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plain City, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plain City, OH

I worked at Junior Library Guild full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Got paid for ALL my hours. There was never any such thing as "working off the clock", and never any problems with getting overtime pay. The health care package is AMAZING. They have paid time off and 401K. One thing on hours, I never needed to work nights and it was just once in a blue moon that I needed to work a Saturday. They have teriffic warehouse sales twice a year, and you can get an employee discount on books, all childrens' books - nice perk, if there are kids in your life you'd like to buy books for.

Cons

The atmosphere in customer service is a bullying atmosphere, and that's why I needed to move on. Other departments might be fine. Paid time off has sick and vacation all in the same pile, and it's just 13 days for a first-year person. Also, please note, this is a place where if you give two weeks notice, they may let you go right away, and not let you work out your notice. So, it's common for people not to give two weeks notice. The location is clear out in the middle of nowhere - no coffee shops or anything within a walk of work, and you're literally right in the middle of cornfields. Beautiful scenery, if you like that.

Advice to Management

Need to invest much, much more in training, especially for in-house systems that aren't used anywhere else. Also, communication is poor. People need to be clear on what they need to be doing, in order to be able to do it.

10. Sales

Current Employee - Sales in Plain City, OH
    Current Employee - Sales in Plain City, OH

I have been working at Junior Library Guild

Pros

The product is good and there is growth potential

Cons

No tuition reimbursement, senior management

Advice to Management

bonus plan