Juniper Networks Reviews

Reset
4.1
Juniper Networks CEO Rami Rahim
Rami Rahim

Pros
  • Juniper Networks has a very good work-life balance (in 72 reviews)

• Good place to learn networking, security and the cutting edge technology for the networking industry (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance sometimes is a little bit uncompensated (in 24 reviews)

• Senior management solely focused on OPEX as it drives their bonuses per the most recent 8K (in 22 reviews)

1. Great company to work for

Former Contractor - Networking Laboratory Technician in Westford, MA
    Former Contractor - Networking Laboratory Technician in Westford, MA

I worked at Juniper Networks as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The company is one of the most ethical companies I have ever seen. They are good when it comes to hours, and training, and many other things. I also loved working with the people that are there. I've never had a problem with anybody the whole time I was there, and they made working here ever better.

Cons

They hire some positions as temporary only, but they should be hiring some (such as my position as a networking laboratory technician) directly, since they could save money if they hired me for less than the staffing agencies and I would still be able to make more. They are also screwing themselves over doing that because by the time someone finally gets fully trained, they hire someone else, and then you have to start all over.

Advice to Management

Make networking laboratory technician position direct hire.

2. Positive culture and plenty of room for growing your career. The sales team is new but the brand is recognized.

Current Employee - Inside Territory Account Manager in Westford, MA
    Current Employee - Inside Territory Account Manager in Westford, MA

I have been working at Juniper Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy going culture, rapid advancement if you show you're hungry. New commercial segment will grow for future positions.

Cons

Not a marketing powerhouse like the competition. Still young and lacks solid direction at times. Slowly becoming a well oiled machine but not at the point that others are at yet.

Advice to Management

Pay industry average for all positions to retain talent. Hire the right people instead of scrambling to fill head count. With the correct pay and employees this could grow faster.

3. Leader in its space, a good work environment.

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Westford, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Westford, MA

I have been working at Juniper Networks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I feel that my compensation is average for the industry. Company allows you to set aside 10% of your salary to purchase stock at 15% discount every 6 months which is a good benefit.

I like the fact that many folks in upper management have been with the company since it was a startup, this includes the CEO and CTO. Upper management is approachable, receptive to feedback. There is also a strong emphasis on ethics. New CEO in 2015 is a positive change.

From a technology perspective Juniper is a leader in the network infrastructure space.

The CFO keep a tight watch on company expenses. There are periodic small layoffs which helps the company run lean but I don't think it is understaffed.

Cons

The focus on the bottom line means that the company is very stingy with stock options.

Career development does not seem to be a priority for my manager in particular.

Advice to Management

Be a bit more generous with stock options, allow employees to feel like they own the company.

Lower level management is supportive, but could do a better job communicating and encouraging career growth.

5. Intern Computer Science

Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Westford, MA
    Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Westford, MA

I worked at Juniper Networks as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

They value their intern program. Great perks including field trips, weekly intern meetings, and general appreciation

Cons

The work is busy work that employers don't have time for. To be expected, but still busy work for the interns

Advice to Management

Find some interesting projects for interns to work with. That is more important than the environment time wise. Other than that great job!

6. Great work environment

Former Employee - Systems Development and Support in Westford, MA
    Former Employee - Systems Development and Support in Westford, MA

I worked at Juniper Networks

Pros

Highly effective business system. Exposure to senior management.

Cons

No work life balance. No diversity.

Advice to Management

Keep skilled people employed, lose unskilled people.

7. Inside Commercial Account Manager

Current Employee - Inside Commercial Account Manager in Westford, MA
    Current Employee - Inside Commercial Account Manager in Westford, MA

I have been working at Juniper Networks

Pros

Great outside team, Great Higher Management. Has a decent Gym, decent cafeteria, Starting to get a good training program

Cons

Management does not always know what it wants to do and a clear course is not always seen.

Advice to Management

Figure out what the goal is for the inside team, figure out if there is perk of working on the inside

Great employer! Couldn't be happier!

Current Employee - Technical Operations in Westford, MA
    Current Employee - Technical Operations in Westford, MA

I have been working at Juniper Networks full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

State-of-the-art engineering tools to preform my job; excellent salary and benefits with very generous bonuses and perks; comfortable work environment; ethically sound and fair; high caliber of professional co-workers and managers.

Cons

Management has the expectation that folks will be available 24x7, which is unreasonable. Juniper pays very well, so people just go along with it, but the morale is not good because of it. Expect to work VERY long days - 14 hours seems to be the average. Executive leadership at times seems to be conflicted, which has - over the last two years - promoted a lack of faith in the company's overall vision. Communication between cross-functional groups tends to be territorial and not always in the interest of "team spirit"- a bit of finger-pointing going on... Way too many managers; a manager should not have just two or three reports - this is utterly ridiculous and not lean at all. Not much opportunity for growth potential; folks tend to get hired and then remain for in their positions for years because Juniper does not promote from within - they prefer to hire people from the outside.

Advice to Management

Look to your subordinates to promote within your departments. Stop pointing fingers. Reduce the number of managers - we don't don't need a manager for two or three people. Remember that we have families and interests that don't agree with your unreasonable expectations to be available 24x7.

Fun, relaxed, yet motivational environment.

Current Employee - Inside Account Manager in Westford, MA
    Current Employee - Inside Account Manager in Westford, MA

I have been working at Juniper Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many inside sales positions are just call rooms where the rep's make 100's of cold calls per day. Juniper partners each inside rep with 1 outside rep, both responsible for the same territory number. Inside reps are given SE support and are treated as valuable as the outside reps. Great stepping stone to outside sales.

Cons

The company is constantly changing products. We spend months working on strategies around specific products only to have them sold off. It creates an environment where people are afraid to purchase wondering what's next to go.

Great place to expand your knowledge not just your job role, also to learn more about everything else going on

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Westford, MA
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Westford, MA

I have been working at Juniper Networks full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Overall very good journey, constantly something keeps changing here and there are new challenging goals set all the time and I learned and have lots of insights about Business while working as systems analyst role. Pays above average and ensure there is above average contribution from employees - win-win situation who wants to work more and get more.

Cons

work life balance may get off the whack and little tricky to maintain that. Cannot focus on formal training and improvement, employee learning and progress comes along by delivering more by working on more projects.

Advice to Management

The employee development programs, training programs mostly goes unused as everyone is very busy here. It is made obvious that cost reduction comes before than a better working experience for the employees, taking a hit on the value of the company for some one working long here.

Success at Juniper is about working in Sunnyvale and being part of the old boys club

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Juniper Networks full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits and pay are the only pro I can list. Unless you work in a small team with good people...which I do.

Cons

Where to start. Juniper has had no leadership in the enterprise space since I've been with the company. They have a track record of purchasing companies only to let the technology die on the vine. There is no vision in the company. Unless you work on the routers, you're future will always be in doubt and your product will be ignored.

Advice to Management

Pick a direction and stick to it for more than one year. Last year, Juniper purchased Contrail and that is the last we've heard of the product. Before that, they purchased Trapeze only to kill of the product line and partner with an industry competitor. Instead of buying companies and killing off great products, you should actually invest in R&D that is not Junos releated.

Showing 41 of 1,053 reviews