Juniper Networks
www.juniper.net Sunnyvale, CA 5000+ Employees

Juniper Networks Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2010's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros:
  • "Work at home policy helps with work-life balance and there is recognition of the need for it"
    in 50 reviews
  • "Good place to learn networking, security and the cutting edge technology for the networking industry"
    in 22 reviews
Cons:
  • "No work life balance , not many young people around"
    in 16 reviews
  • "Senior management keeps changing their mind on which project they want to pursue"
    in 17 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Juniper Networks is one of the best companies in the valley.

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Juniper Networks

ProsThe people are smart across the board - engineering, marketing, operations, service, and management. The leadership is competent and ethical, and the Juniper Way is clearly and openly practiced. It's very hard to succeed as a jerk at Juniper - the organization doesn't tolerate abuse. The technology is amazing - this is the hottest stuff in the networking business. And the business itself is strong and growing. We don't spend our time worrying about competition - we create reasons for other companies to worry about us.

ConsPeople are very serious, kind of boring at times. "Fun" at Juniper is a particularly elegant piece of code. Yikes.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget how we got where we are now: the values of the Juniper Way, growing primarily organically rather than via the wrong acquisition, being engineering-driven.

Juniper tries hard to keep their employees happy.

Customer Account Support (Current Employee)
Herndon, VA

I have been working at Juniper Networks

ProsJuniper is a fiscally sound company. Their salaries and benefits are competitive. You work on the forefront fo technology and will never get bored with your tasks. You can genuinely build a career at Juniper and Management promotes and does not restrict movement within the organization.

ConsUpper managent are genuinely trying to embody good employment practices, however middle and lower management are not getting the message filtered down to them. Every one is so busy fire fighting that even you manaher does not have time to review yuor goals and objectives. Too much inteference from the Sales Account team in Technical Customer Support even though Technical Customer Support is very competent. I get the impression that Management rules by fear but have not been able to confirm that.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company is too focused on what Cisco is doing trying to get market share from them. Juniper has some very smart people and makes techically sound products.Forget about focusing the attention on Cisco and invent new ideas and innovation in your products. Building bigger, faster and better is not the way forward. We have to build out of the box solutions.

Juniper--good potential, nice people, and a good place to work

Communications Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Juniper Networks

ProsUnlike many high tech companies in Silicon Valley (and I've worked for many of them) Juniper realizes that constant fire drills and chaining people to their laptops 24/7 = job and employee burnout. Juniper is a company that really seems to understand the concept of work/life balance. I'm sorry. I know that sounds very cliche, but it has actually been my experience in the 2+ years I have worked for this company. Also, the people of Juniper are just really nice to be around.

ConsFor all the ballyhoo made regarding the lofty goals and aspirations of the company, the corporate strategy remains a moving target. I just don't think that senior management (which has seen numerous changes) knows what they really want Juniper to be as a company or how they're actually going to get there. You just want to shake leadership by the throat and scream, "Make up your mind, figure it out and stick to it!" This is a company with great potential. It just needs clearer, more consistant leadership and direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementI taught scuba diving for many years. In the words of a dive instructor, to capsulize my thoughts above, I'd say "Plan your dive - then dive your plan." Stop changing your minds, pick a direction, plan how to get there and then execute on the plan. I am hoping Kevin Johnson can do this. But it's a little too soon to tell at this point.

Simply put, Juniper is the best company I have ever worked for.

Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Juniper Networks

ProsSimply put, Juniper is the best company I have ever worked for. Juniper places a high emphasis on its employee satisfaction and allows the individual to maintain a good work/life balance. Juniper is also highly customer focused which is how it should be. Pay and benefits are highly competitive if not better and management (at least my manager) is always looking out for the best interests of each team member. Opportunities to grow and advance are excellent and the overall environment is collaborative and often fun. What more could you ask from an employer?

ConsOnsite perks are not as extensive as some in the Valley, but that is a very minor complaint. Truth is onsite perks are actually much better than most places. Also there is some contention between various teams within Juniper which I think stems from the several acquisitions that Juniper has made over the past few years. But in the end I think most teams do colloborate successfully.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps find more ways to break down some walls between BUs. I see some of that happening now, but we still have some ways to go on that.

Wonderful Place to Work... No Complaints!!!

Senior Staff Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Juniper Networks

ProsI like the flexibility and perceived stability of the company... I am provided a good amount of discretion with decisions pertaining to my projects.

ConsI have no complaints worth mentioning...

Advice to Senior ManagementDo be penny wise and pound foolish... Watch what you decide are prudent cost savings moves...

Will contest unemployment benefits so, better have another job lined up quick!

Slave (Current Employee)

I have been working at Juniper Networks

ProsIf you desperately need a job. If you all ready know someone who works here and a friend got you in. If you are a shallow and superficial person. If you are Indian or Asian, because they are the majority here and they rule.

ConsJuniper Networks is one of the 25% of the companies that lie about laying you off, will say that you quit, so they don't have to pay unemployment benefits. They are having a layoff and screwing people out of their unemployment. If you liked high school, this is the place for you. The mentality is juvenile in nature and you need to be with the right crowd to work here. If you like working with an obsolete technology and worry about getting laid off or another company trying to acquire you, you'll love it here. If you are a Cisco Systems reject, because, most of the employees here flunked out of Cisco U. Bunch of hangers on from the tech bust that hardly do any work and chase out anyone who is competent.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're living in the past (1990s tech boom era).

Good for some time.

Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee)

I have been working at Juniper Networks

ProsSalary and benefits are good.

ConsThere aren't a lot of career advancement opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix IT.

Overall a great place to work

Software Engineer, Staff (Current Employee)
Westford, MA

I have been working at Juniper Networks

ProsStable environment, proficient stuff, nice compensation

ConsJuniper is huge, things are moving slowly

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Juniper Networks is one of the great companies to work at...

Member of Technical Staff IV (Former Employee)

I worked at Juniper Networks

ProsA great company with great products and great quality. Wonderfully managed specially in its largest group IPG. Good processes that leads to a very good quality of products as compared to its competitors. The processes are easy and systematic. The products quality is one of the best.
The HR is very helpful and very supportive to its employees. A lot of times goes out of its way to help... Most of the departments at Juniper are simply great...

ConsSome of its acquisitions have not been very well managed. and have taken a lot of time to streamline. If you are working in one of those BUs which were originally acquired, be careful. They are improving but are slow, and the good processes have not been implemented yet there which leads to less revenue and less quality of products in those ares. They are still better than many of its competitors.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to decrease the communications gap between top management and the individual contributors.

Great Technology company

I have been working at Juniper Networks

ProsGreat work environment. Great products.

ConsA little chaotic. Great while the company is makings $s.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo more M&A

Worked for Juniper Networks? Contribute to the Community!

Juniper Networks Videos

Juniper Networks – Why Work for Us?

Networks are becoming more relevant in the world we live in today, and at Juniper Networks we believe the network can create a connected planet that unleashes a great wealth of possibility, innovation, and discovery… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Juniper Networks reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Juniper Networks CEO Shaygan Kheradpir. All 54 reviews posted anonymously by Juniper Networks employees.