Juniper Networks Reviews

Updated September 17, 2014
3.3

Juniper Networks CEO Shaygan Kheradpir
Shaygan Kheradpir

Pros
  • Fairly good support for work/life balance in many (but not all) parts of the business (in 64 reviews)

• If you want to work on cutting edge technology then this company is for you (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance sometimes is a little bit uncompensated (in 21 reviews)

• very weak senior management and inability to take sever action to attach people to their job (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Emperor has no clothes

Current Employee - Marketing  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Juniper Networks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The new buildings look nice. On the surface it seems sparkly and high end.

Cons

1. The IT department is the worst in the industry. We lose 25% of our productivity due to IT mishaps and poor execution. The CIO is condescending and belligerent on internal social forums.

I know people who have left Juniper based on how incompetent our IT support it. Everything that can be done wrong, is done wrong.

2. The leadership team has a "all for me, and me for me" philosophy. They do only what is in the best interest of themselves personally. There are 2 or 3 VPs in the company who are authentic and talented. The rest are in it as solo artists, trying to make a name for themselves and vie for the biggest budgets and raises. They say one thing and do something else. And they only do what makes each of them look good.

3. Decisions are made and changed with the wind. There is not a systematic and clear strategy. Every 9 weeks the leadership team loses it's attention span and changes the plan. Organizational ADHD.

The latest org change has been a travesty. The VPs horse traded and groups were moved arbitrarily and flip flopped many times. After several months it is not working and we have emperors new clothes syndrome. Everyone has to play along.

1. Get a new CIO ASAP.

2. Collapse your VP layer. They are bringing this company down.

3. Bring in a change management expert and please listen and learn.

Strategic challenges ahead

Former Employee - Product Manager  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Juniper Networks as a contractor

Pros

While I was a contractor, I saw that Juniper treats its people well, and certainly there's no shortage of big networking problems to work on there.

Cons

Juniper's going through restructuring at the moment; they announced to the markets that layoffs were coming, but didn't actually execute on them for more than a month. To me, that shows lack of respect for your people and possibly strategic indecision.

Get our new strategy in place and get to executing

A great company overall

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Juniper Networks full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Senior technical community is very open and friendly, nice new campus and good cafeteria, the compensation/salary is competitive and the benefits are great, solid products in routing and switching businesses.

Cons

A few significant failed investments/projects gave the company big troubles, and org shaking-up keep happening at all levels and no signs of turning around for the security businesses ...

Hope the new CEO can make the right changes/decisions to capture the opportunity in the right market/industry, especially fix the problems in the leadership team of security business org.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company to work for

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Juniper Networks as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

cafetaria, bonus, options, fellow engineers

Cons

not much changes. Lot of processes. lab control limited

Keep it up!

Excellent salary and benefits marred by hostile culture

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Juniper Networks full-time for more than a year

Pros

The salary and benefits are very competitive, and the work-life balance is very flexible. Managers do not mind if you work from home often or frequently take time off for personal reasons. The products Juniper makes are widely used and there are plenty of chances to make lasting industry connections at this company.

Cons

This company's culture is very competitive, and not in a good way. People are very hostile towards employees who work for other teams. If you take a job here, you will spend a significant amount of time arguing over which team is responsible whenever there's a problem.

Additionally, managers tend to follow a "by the books" approach and will make decisions based on what's safest for themselves instead of what's best for the company. New features are often released days after they are implemented with little/no formal testing because managers do not want to tell customer support that the customer's requests couldn't be immediately fulfilled. I've never seen anyone get reprimanded for making a change that broke a product, but it's still frustrating to know that you caused a problem that could have prevented with a little more patience and testing.

Don't be afraid to deny customer's requests when they want you to do something wreckless. There are a lot more problems when a bunch of networks go down than there are when an ISP has to wait an extra 3 months for something they've been doing fine without for years.

Company culture needs to align to company vision

Former Employee - BT Transformation  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - BT Transformation in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Juniper Networks full-time for more than a year

Pros

People are friendly - consensus driven culture

Cons

Strategy un-focused and management unable to execute

Improve overall culture

Very exciting at first, but they kept changing the account assignments and our roll, also the management team.

Former Employee - Major Account Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Major Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Juniper Networks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good router products, not so good security and lots of systems

Cons

not so good security strategy and lots of to complex JUNOS systems

Be more focus in the core competences

A company that is gradually losing its shine

Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Juniper Networks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

1. Compensation is good. Cannot compete with top internet companies but decent.
    2. Work time is flexible.

Cons

1. Lack of leadership, from CEO level.
    2. Lack of vision. Lack of growth.
    3. Full of politics.
    3. Lack of morale. Caused by above.

Since management is the main issue, the only advice is.. get as much as you can out of the company then move on. I can't really advise you lay off yourselves, can I?

Good company, just don't be an RE

Current Employee - Resident Engineer
    Current Employee - Resident Engineer

I have been working at Juniper Networks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Juniper seems to care. Nice PTO policy. Good pay. Nice people. Lots of resources to get information and help.

Cons

Sometimes too political with infighting. Lot's of stress. Bugs in products can cause great stress when you are an RE. Your experience will be dependent on what customer you are assigned. Your experience could be enjoyable and satisfying or it could be hell on earth.

Address product quality issues.. some of the PRs I've seen have caused us to lose significant ground with customers.

Great work environment, but a lot of management turmoil.

Former Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Juniper Networks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people at all levels up to lower-mid management. Everyone is willing and looking to help everyone else.

Cons

Re-org both years I was there. Another one going on for the rest of this year; at least this one eliminated excessive management. Business Units are siloed. Maybe this re-org will fix that.

Long-term stockholders want you to do what is right for the customers and employees. We know that stock prices will naturally follow appropriately.
    Have the BUs work together; build off of each others sales instead of competing for them.
    Clean up the pricelist: properly arrange the EX tab items, eliminate redundancy, add SKUs for making selling to K12 easier.
    Listen to your regional partners. Stop creating products for one Key/SP customer and trying to make it work across all size customers. Enterprises have there own needs, make products for them.

Worked for Juniper Networks? Contribute to the Community!