Just Energy

www.justenergy.com

Just Energy Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

James Lewis and Deborah Merril

Pros
  • Very relaxed, fun work environment if you are in a good team, free to work on a lot of adhoc projects, good bonus structure(in 5 reviews)

• This is definitely an opportunity to grow beyond being a slave to the 9-5 humdrum(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • They never mentioned on their ad that it was a door-to-door sales job, but that is what it is(in 7 reviews)

• long hours, poor organizational structure(in 8 reviews)

Laid Back Atmosphere

ProsI love the working environment. It's pretty laid-back and family-like with your immediate work group. The people are the best thing about the company. They make coming to work fun because there isn't a lot of ego with management & co-workers.

Micromanaging isn't a big thing here. You are pretty much left alone to do your job.

The company is growing & acquiring new business which is good for future job outlook.

ConsThe company is a little disjointed because of the growth. The Houston office has no true company culture, no employee morale, and basically no real employee perks.

HQ in Canada is usually swamped with work and for some reason almost every process routes up to Canada therefore creating deadline & backlog issues. Accounts Payable / Finance is soooo behind on every invoice & check needed - - Be prepared to wait.

Career Advancement isn't really applicable here. It's not really a place for growth in the sense of job titles or raises, but you do get a TON of experience. You're not relegated to a specific job role and there are ample opportunities to enhance your skill set for future positions (i.e., the Operations Department is perfect for this).

I see this company as a great way to get experience, learn about the Energy Business and then move on to create a career with a more established company. The company is pretty new and therefore a lot of my cons may center on the "newness" per se. Restructuring is desperately needed. Under the right visionary leader this company can become a really great place to work, but for now management only cares about the numbers.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees. Happy employees work harder.

An experience filled with equal highs and lows.

Operations Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsTremendous growth and learning opportunity. Good exposure to the retail side of deregulated energy. Possible to change career path and departments.

ConsNoncompetitive salaries. Distribution of work unfair; much heavier load for competent workers. Quality of employees is inconsistent. Training is almost nonexistent.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in hiring strong employees and building a strong foundation.

C

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Bingham Farms, MI

ProsGreat Atmosphere employee's are helpful.

ConsThey show favoritism and do not give everyone the same opportunity

Advice to Senior ManagementShould give everyone the same opportunity, do not lie to your employee's Nadene Cowley

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Extreme pressure to get contracts.

Independent (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsI guess the money would be the best part of this job,although I never received a "comma check".

ConsThe hours are long and the company has no regard for your safety. I live in Detroit and knocking on someone's door at night with no streetlights for blocks is extremely dangerous. I also had a problem with driving with someone I did not know to places unknown. This company is full of young and dumb 20 something's and can't do anything else more mature folks who get accustom to 1,000 dollar checks who don't care what they say to the customer just as long as they sign that contract.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop lying to the employees and call your business out for what it is, a big pyramid scheme.

Really Fun But not my thing

ProsGood Very great people that work in the office and the field

Constoo hot to go to door to door

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

they don't care about the employees and view them as expendable.

Retention Specialist (Former Employee) Houston, TX

Prosdecent pay for position worked there

Consfavoritism, unorganized, users, and
    doesn't value workers

Advice to Senior Managementget some insight from the employees as to whats going on in the workplace.

Not the best place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNothing good about the company

Conslong hours, poor organizational structure

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to your employees

The Truth About Just Energy

Sales Representative (Current Employee) Shaker Heights, OH

ProsThis is definitely an opportunity to grow beyond being a slave to the 9-5 humdrum. The growth opportunity is phenomenal!

ConsIn my eyes the only thing that OTHERS would consider to be a con is the fact that your results are based around your own actions! Most people are not ready to be their own boss. They are accustomed to the 8 hour work for someone else and make someone else rich schema.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should be some kind of way to be able to monitor the employees who give JustEnergy a bad rep, because they are the ones who create and cause customers to be dissatisfied! Not fair to the rest of us!!! Thank you for this wonderful opportunity! It has changed my life for the better.

Fantastic work experience

Independent Contractor (Former Employee) Buffalo, NY

ProsMaking a ton of money

ConsLong hours but well worth it

Extremely dissatisfied with their lack of honesty in job ads and employee appreciation.

Contractor (Former Employee) Greystone, NY

Pros-The receptionist was nice
    -Company vacations
    -May be a okay summer job for students

That is all.

Cons-They lie and tell you that you will make $18/hr, but once you sign the contract you will find out that it's straight commission based for about a year.
    -The management team is young and is bent on abusing their power. They often use fowl lanuage towards the employees and are arrogant.
    -They don't tell you it a door to door job until you are just about to enter training.
    -Promote get rich quick scheme but many end up with checks well under $500 (scam).
    -They drop you off in bad neighborhoods hours away from the office. Many house were even boarded up. One of the employees were robbed when dropped off alone in one of the bad neighborhoods.
    -You are literally stranded in unfamiliar neighborhoods even during the winter and is expected to continue working from 12pm- 8pm regardless of the rain and snow. This means that if you are stranded in the rain or snow and you don't know anyone in that town, then you are stranded until they pick you up later that night.
    -If you work 12 hours and don't make any sells then that means that you've worked the whole day for nothing because you won't get paid.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't waste people time. Make sure your leaders have good team management skills and people skills. They were inexperienced and I witnessed them yelling, cursing, and slamming doors on multiple employees on my first day alone. Also, provide your employees with base pay, not commission pay. It's going to be cold outside soon show them that you care for their hard work during these 12 hour shifts.

Worked for Just Energy? Contribute to the Community!