Just Energy

Just Energy Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Not yet rated.

James Lewis and Deborah Merril

Pros:
  • "Very relaxed, fun work environment if you are in a good team, free to work on a lot of adhoc projects, good bonus structure"
    in 5 reviews
  • "This is definitely an opportunity to grow beyond being a slave to the 9-5 humdrum"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "They don't tell you it a door to door job until you are just about to enter training"
    in 6 reviews
  • "long hours, poor organizational structure"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Incredible opportunities. Not fully integrated. Lots of broken process but becoming focussed to fix it.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood growth opportunities for people of all levels. You can be well rewarded (most aren't it seems). Constant change, so good to develop skills. People are amazing and some really great teams. Some very good leaders. Passion of people to do great is there and that makes it easier to work hard but many agendas. Grew fast and now adopting to work as a larger company. Lots of fixing opportunities.

ConsYou have to work very long hours due to lack of resources. No defined or aligned strategy apparent which makes resourcing constrained. Business leaders not fully aligned. Constant change and very reactive and near impossible to focus on strategic matters. Lots of fire fighting but good (very slow) change taking place to fix that. Pay is middle of road and lots of turn over of great people makes it tough to stay afloat. Lack of visible or defined career options.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you reward people well at all levels. You have some really great leaders and managers in many areas but you need to provide resources and support to fix the issues. Have patience to enable people to get where the company needs to get there and be supportive. Align your people with a clear strategy. Stop doing seemingly meaningless work.

High potential for the right kind of people

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsIt's really a skill-based job. If you can sell, you will make a lot of money. My first 3 months were pretty sad in terms of income (but enough to get by and then some), but later on the sales went up and it adds up very quickly. You have to know who to target your sales pitch to and you will need practice. If you are a born salesman, you will excel. I loved this job until I had to move (or else I won't have left it).

Watch Glengarry Glen Ross, the same kind of sales environment and techniques apply.

ConsThe opposite of what I described in PROs section; if you are bad or below average on your speaking abilities and your ability to convince people, you won't get paid much at all.

Commission based sales position is very hit/miss; you either get rich easier or you have to get a new career after 3-4 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe provide a decent fixed income to new employees as incentive to stay? I thought about quitting in my first 3 months simply because I needed experience and the commission income was too low for beginners.

Lots of opportunity but questionable integrity.

Manager (Former Employee)
    Mississauga, ON (Canada)

ProsLoved the people I worked with

ConsLeadership has no expressed vision, values or goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a compelling future and move to a more respectable marketing model, away from pressure sales.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Customer Service

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt was a pleasure working with Just Energy. It's a great place to learn about the energy market

ConsYou need to be quick on your feet and know your stuff or else you will get left behind.

Senior Management should get a a complete overhaul or get with the times

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsLots of money to be made. Plenty of opportunity for growth and expansion into new markets.

ConsSenior management are full of ass backwards sexist pigs that should look around the planet and see that men need to take a step back and be completely ashamed of what they've accomplished thus far. They need to stop living in the past and stop thinking that the solution is just about getting back to the basics. It's just not enough anymore.

Advice to Senior ManagementShape up or like part of the name of your company says...JUST get out.

Nice working environment.

ProsVery nice people and working environment!

ConsSalary specially for bilingual is not adequate

Fun work environment

Mississauga, ON (Canada)

ProsVery relaxed, fun work environment if you are in a good team, free to work on a lot of adhoc projects, good bonus structure

ConsNo structure, a little sexist

Great people to work with in a stable industry.

Account Manager (Current Employee)
    Mississauga, ON (Canada)

ProsFantastic people to work with. Team spirit.
    Management is supportive and understanding as long as you do not abuse the system.
    Very Fair policy, at least in the Account Management team.

ConsCommission structure can be improved.
    No work from home program.

OK company, lots of opportunities to grow

Business Analyst (Current Employee)
    Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Pros- Freedom from supervision
    - Leadership highly appreciated
    - Lots of opportunities for personal development
    - Great training program

Cons- Bad street reputation
    - Inconvenient location (must have car)
    - IT department pursuing outsource strategy

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have a lot of opportunities to go where you want to be. i chose to become an Operation Manager from a Business Analyst. Other cases I have include another Business Analyst crossing over to Risk Manager, and another BA to Supply Manager. If you are willing to put in the efforts, no one will stop you. Have very accommodating environment, my son was sick he was born and I had a week off without digging into my sick days, with full pay, etc. The culture is supportive, people help each other and training/tutorials abound. Bad people have come and gone, so it's not bloated. Compensations are good to excellent, if you put in decent efforts.

Associate Business Analyst is the stepping stone toward Business Analyst then Business System Analyst (higher pay). Show some smarts and you will move up (I personally endorsed one to become a Business System Analyst).

The only bad things about this is bad reputation (once being told I was working for a scam company) and unwanted products (fixed price gas & electricity contract for next 5 years, at higher than market price).

Process Operations Job at Just Energy Ltd

Process Improvement (Former Employee)
    Mississauga, ON (Canada)

ProsAutonomy to employees and flexibility

ConsJob Security and company focus

Advice to Senior ManagementPatience in process improvement pays

Worked for Just Energy? Contribute to the Community!

Just Energy Videos

Just Energy – Why Work for Us?

We invite you to take a look inside at what makes Just Energy an outstanding place to develop your skills and build your career. Our Career Center will provide you with a brief insight on areas of our company, and you… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Just Energy reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Just Energy CEO James Lewis and Deborah Merril. All 66 reviews posted anonymously by Just Energy employees.