Just Energy Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014
Updated August 28, 2014

2.8

James Lewis and Deborah Merril

Pros
  • Very relaxed, fun work environment if you are in a good team, free to work on a lot of adhoc projects, good bonus structure (in 5 reviews)

• This is definitely an opportunity to grow beyond being a slave to the 9-5 humdrum (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • They never mentioned on their ad that it was a door-to-door sales job, but that is what it is (in 7 reviews)

• long hours, poor organizational structure (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

i miss it

Current Employee - Bilingual Customer Service Representative  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Bilingual Customer Service Representative in Houston, TX

I have been working at Just Energy full-time for more than a year

Pros

nice ppl, good pay. easy job

Cons

can be stressful if you let the customers get to you; hours arent the greatest

Its fun laid back but commission sucks

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative  in  Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Worcester, MA

I have been working at Just Energy full-time

Pros

Relaxed people
    Bonus
    Trips
    Start late in the day

Cons

JJ week (mandatory 7 days )
    All commission from $10-$150 but average is $40 per enrollment
    Have to wait 3 weeks when you start to get paid

Pay hourly with added commission

Unless you are desperate, don't work here!

Former Employee - Outbound Sales/Cold Calling  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Outbound Sales/Cold Calling in Houston, TX

I worked at Just Energy as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

It's a job. And they'll hire ANYBODY.

Cons

I can't speak to their benefits and such, because I was from a staffing agency. Then again, more than half of the hourly wage staff at this location is from a staffing agency... That way they don't have to treat you with any kind of respect, or value your contributions. If you leave, they simply call the staffing agency and order a replacement, as easy as ordering a pizza.
    The atmosphere and hours are draconian. They will tell you one schedule when they hire you, but at the drop of a hat, suddenly you're working on a Saturday when you were previously told no weekends... or suddenly you're told that as of tomorrow, you're on a shift several hours later. The few people I saw object to (or simply unable to comply with) these changes - even if it was because they were single parents and needed more notice to arrange child care - were simply let go and replaced.
    They are selling a crappy overpriced product, and wanted us to say whatever we needed to say to get people to switch to them, even if it meant lying... we were trained to fast-talk the customers with lots of mental gymnastics and fuzzy math, to mislead them into thinking that they would save money (when they wouldn't!). Even if you DO complete a sale, you don't get your commission until they have cleared the credit check... and if the customer realizes their mistake and switches back after the first bill, Just Energy TAKES THE COMMISSION BACK out of your paycheck.
    And when you aren't meeting your sales goals (and you won't), they DON'T LISTEN when you try to tell them how "dirty" your call list is (full of disconnected numbers, people on the DNC list, people at poverty-level income who won't pass the credit check), or how short. And once you've exhausted your contact list with 3+ calls to every number on it, instead of giving you a fresh one, they insist you keep harassing the same people and wave gift cards at you as an incentive to meet the quotas that keep going up, despite not ever being met BY ANYONE.
    Discouraging, monotonous, mind-numbing and soul-killing work, for endless hours, and very little compensation. If you value your sanity or self-respect, STAY AWAY.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Operations

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Just Energy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very Laid back environment, young and fun

Cons

management is only concerned with sales, as long as quotas are met on volume of signups then the sales team gets rewarded even if they are selling products way under value and therefore unprofitably.

fully study full value chain of your company sales are great but costs, inefficiencies,and serious lack of technology hinder any kind of growth

Just Energy is a company that is Just Embellished

I worked at Just Energy full-time

Pros

none really as I was just interviewed there and not even wanting to hear back from them.

Cons

I was interviewed there. The most unprofessional interview I have had where the interviewer did not even shake my hand upon meeting me. Her attire was casual. Too loud atmosphere. Position that I applied for was not what they had advertised. They never mentioned on their ad that it was a door-to-door sales job, but that is what it is. Unless you live right next to their location, do no apply. They made it seem like I was the ideal candidate and since they were time contained, wanted me to meet them the next day as their last-minute interviewee, I go in to find other candidates like myself. If a company is not honest from the get-go, how do you expect honesty down the road.

Great company with many opportunities to grow!!

Current Employee - Operations Specialist  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Operations Specialist in Houston, TX

I have been working at Just Energy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Many opportunities for personal growth.

Cons

Company use to offer more perks.

Alright

Current Employee - Independent  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Independent in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Just Energy as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

The fact that you did get to travel and see different parts of the state.

Cons

comission base no hourly or salary pay.

At least offer a base salary for your employees

Interesting

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Worcester, MA

I worked at Just Energy full-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly people, lots of exercise. Management pays for lunch for new guys, which is kind of them.

Cons

Door-to-door sales in dangerous areas. 100% Commission-based pay.

Need base pay. Too many factors before earning a commissioned sale for some people to live off of.

If your over 21 and have bills to pay stay away from this job at all costs

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Worcester, MA

I have been working at Just Energy full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent sales experience directly with customers at their homes and businesses. You start at 10 am in the regional office, in a meeting, go out to lunch then come home at 8 or 9 pm. You have flexibility to pick your days off but if you don't reach your sale goal your likely gonna work on sunday to pick it up. It's a friendly enviroment, you can wear pants and a shirt. They inquire within, all managers started as a door to door sales associate. By knocking on doors doing cold sales you meet all different people and that can be good , bad and sometimes dangerous. Goiod job for someone who has no bills and lives with family or roomates, terrible if you have a mortgage, car loan and other bills..

Cons

100% commission only, no base or hourly pay. It doesn't matter if your type writer and make 50 sales a week. Several factors for disapproved customers such as credit and late payments. You don't get any commission for your disapproved sales or if they cancel. Most sale associates are young and immature, most don't have bills, cellphone plans or cars. Time management is bad here, they waste too much time finding territory or trying to find people that don't show up for work. Just Energy doesn't have their own vehicles, crew leaders ususally borrow a van from the regional manager. Normally 2 or 3 vans out in the field with 7or 8 people squeezed into 1. If you work in a city far away sometimes you get home by midnight.

Hire quality sale people, not just someone that can write and speak.
    Give employees hourly wage and commission for disapproved sales. We work 60-90 hours a week and don't make enough to pay our bills. We deserve to be compensated as we are the heart of the company. Buy fleet vehicles, no one should have to buy their own van or uniforms! It's not all about sale numbers if sales Associates doesn't earn a living. Treat all of us fairly and respect us more. Offering travel incentives doesn't help when your 2 months behind rent cause you had a bad week yet worked 7 days a week and tried.I'm speaking on behalf of the Worcester MA regional office. Bad turnover rate before the 1st week paycheck. But we get our sale numbers up every week. Your welcome.

A little disappointed.

Former Employee - Independent Contractor  in  Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Independent Contractor in Columbus, OH

I worked at Just Energy as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Their ideology of the green company that leaves a smaller carbon footprint on the earth is progressive.

Cons

Their path of least resistance hiring, training and releasing practices could stand to be reevaluated. People have been let go from here in the middle of training, due to uncertified, erroneous and irresponsible background check reports, done by mom and pop generic internet background check companies they choose to use, costing potential employees and independent contractors valuable time which could have been used gaining credible and reliable employment elsewhere, in addition to money and peace of mind.

Hold on to good people by using Certified BCI and FBI checks. The dime a dozen internet background check companies use basic sources that anyone could use and access. These sources typically only do basic searches on first and last name and maybe a birth year, and anyone who has that info in common will be tossed all together with everyone good or bad, as one person. Use Certified Federal BCI checks. Using anything else is just lazy, reckless and irresponsible which reflects poorly towards your company.

Worked for Just Energy? Contribute to the Community!