Justice Resource Institute Reviews

1. Great Non-profit

Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Justice Resource Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

strong leadership, opportunities for growth within the company, well-respected in the community, work/life balance, benefits (insurance, vacation, etc.)

Cons

pay is less than what you get in other fields at similar level, but to be expected in a non-profit. High staff turnover

Advice to Management

Focusing on greater staff development and incentivizing people to stay, especially at residential programs

2. Residential Counselor Supervisor

Current Employee - Residential Counselor Supervisor in Lowell, MA
    Current Employee - Residential Counselor Supervisor in Lowell, MA

I have been working at Justice Resource Institute (Less than a year)

Pros

The connection you make with the residents, the satisfaction of knowing you are making a difference

Cons

Compensation low salary. Upper Managment doesnt do much.

Advice to Management

Stop sitting in your office and come help us on the floor!

SWCE - Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thompson, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thompson, CT

I have been working at Justice Resource Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked here for a couple years now and feel like I'm learning every day. I love the time I spend with the kids and feel very rewarded. I've gotten a lot of training, and feel like my supervisors are invested in my professional development. Compensation has gone up every year that I've been here, and the benefits overall are excellent. No one else I know in the field has benefits that come close. It is true what JRI says about this being a career - for people who are professional and here for the right reasons, you will go far. Lots of promotion from within. It is a fun work environment where you can grow for years. Unfortunately, this career path is not for everyone, and some people are not a good fit. There has been a lot of change here over the past couple years, for the better in my opinion, but some people struggle with change and being held accountable, which can prompt people to want to leave.

Cons

SWCE has grown quite a bit, and more students means more difficult issues to deal with each day. The kids seem to get more behaviorally challenging every year. Somewhat high staff turnover, but not always bad if people are choosing to find careers that are better for them.

Advice to Management

Try to get people to trainings equally Less overtime and mandatory stays - unfortunately there are repeat offenders on calling out and others often have to cover Thank you for focusing on our growth, getting people back to school, and paying us fairly for this field!

Meadowridge Academy

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Swansea, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Swansea, MA

I have been working at Justice Resource Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly work environment where staff are well trained and supported. The mission and vision of Meadowridge Academy and JRI can be seen and felt all over campus. Great opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Working in a large, therapeutic boarding school requires the type of dedication and energy that is not easily found in most people. This may contribute to what some may perceive as a higher than average turn over rate.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on the goal of becoming an elite school. Lead by example and manage with care. You have created something special where it is fun, challenging and rewarding to come to work almost every day. The support through training, emphasis on self care and employee recognition that is part of the work culture is a rare combination that is part of what makes Meadowridge Academy a great place to work.

Company that cares about clients and employees!

I have been working at Justice Resource Institute full-time

Pros

Wonderful benefits for employees that you just don't see in the human services sector! The company has many great ideas for working with individuals and families and really cares about the clients they serve.

Cons

At times, the company can feel too corporate-y for a human services company.

7. Administrative Assistant

Former Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Tewksbury, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Tewksbury, MA

I worked at Justice Resource Institute full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Loved what JRI stands for and all the different residential settings under the larger company. They have great benefits and care about people in general. Where I worked specifically was very flexible, although some positions do not allow for that. I left there everyday knowing i made a difference

Cons

The salary range is very low.

8. Great company

Current Employee - Associate Director
    Current Employee - Associate Director

I have been working at Justice Resource Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits; Support with professional development; Opportunities for training to further advance skill set; Potential for advancement

Cons

Heavy workload; Compensation below median for area

Awful company to work for

Former Employee - Program Manager in Natick, MA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Natick, MA

I worked at Justice Resource Institute

Pros

Job coaches are really nice

Cons

No communication, upper management treats program managers and staff horrible. Directors lie about their staff. Directors back date reviews to previous years

Advice to Management

The upper directors need to look at the day service directors and watch how they treat their staff!

Use to feel like we did something but now it feels like babysitting

Current Employee - Assistant Supervisor in Swansea, MA
    Current Employee - Assistant Supervisor in Swansea, MA

I have been working at Justice Resource Institute full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits are really good, pay is ok for supervisors and up, sometimes can be fun and enjoyable working with the kids, met some great great people.

Cons

Bad incidents in badly managed programs else where effected our program that was running like a star program when we had control over what happens in our own program. You're dealing with kids that have been in the system for a long time and are behavioral and mentally challenged so it's extremely stressing on the mind and sometimes the body. Burnt out mentally and emotionally be shifts end. Use to be strict teaching with rewards and consequences ,but now it's hands off give in to any kid's wish. Lost alot alot of experienced staff over the past two years that were fed up and left because of the change in policy and attitude of hands off and very low pay for the amount of abuse physically and emotionally staff go through on daily basis.

Advice to Management

Bring back a stricter attitude that more resembles the real world these kids will face once they leave. Pay the staff that are with the kids 40 hours a week more. Funny as you notice the positions that spend the least time with the kids get paid the most and have the most control while the positions that spend the most time with the kids get paid the least and have no control. The regular staff have the most impact in helping these kids but are used and abused with little care. I don't think $14/hr for them is unfair and would keep the really good staff from leaving.

Unhealthy work environment just getting unhealthier.

Current Employee - Residential in Thompson, CT
    Current Employee - Residential in Thompson, CT

I have been working at Justice Resource Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working to improve the lives of the residents. Medical and tuition benefits

Cons

Staff turn over rate has sky rocketed. 90% of staff is over worked and under paid. Absolutely exhausted. By far the most discriminating company that ever worked for. Current administration shows lack of professionalism and respect for staff and labor laws. Staff and residents are often treated as numbers and only certain staff and residents are held to the rules while others are not. Run through a bully system.

Advice to Management

Look at staff turn over rates. Put your staff and residents needs before your own. Stop worrying about how the facility looks and start putting effort into creating a healthy environment for all. DO NOT RULE BY INTIMIDATION OR WITH SCARE TACTICS. Hold everyone to the same avcointability, not just who you "like" most. Take a long look in the mirror and if you can truly say that you are doing your best for your staff and students as things are now... You are in the wrong field.

RSS Feed </> Embed