Justice Resource Institute

Updated July 31, 2014
Updated July 31, 2014
3.4

Andy Pond, MSW

Rewarding work and good opportunity for Growth in the field.

Former Employee - Case Manager  in  Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Case Manager in Framingham, MA

I worked at Justice Resource Institute full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of opportunities for growth in the company. My supervisor was very supportive, encouraging and well educated in her field. I learned so much from her. The clients were great to work with too. excellent training.

Cons

The pay was poor but benefits were okay and we had to use our car to drive the clients at work alot which cost a lot of money. There was some turn over mostly due to poor pay and alot of staff were on work visas for a year and went back when it ended.

Overall great experience, wonderful supervisor, amazing benefits, but limited opportunity to move up.

Former Employee - Human Resources Assistant  in  Westborough, MA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Assistant in Westborough, MA

I worked at Justice Resource Institute full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing benefits including excellent health care costs, excellent tuition reimbursement, and offered a great culture that emphasized learning and family values.

Cons

Was not given any opportunity to move up within or across the organization. All advancements seemed like there were underlying political reasons and who you are seemed to matter more than what you can do.

Give current employees more opportunity to move up and/or across the organization. Share more information with employees so that they are aware of what is going on in other programs and provide everyone with all of JRI job opportunities.

Over worked and underpaid

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Justice Resource Institute

Pros

Tuition reembursement and experience.

Cons

Over worked and underpaid. Most workers are hourly but management treats them to be salary and refuse to pay them the overtime hours they work to finish paperwork, etc. There is not a set structure in management so everything falls through the cracks and nothing that is talked about for improvement gets implemented. Constantly get called to work on your days off and being "mandated" to stay on shift due to lack of employees being scheduled to come in.

Improve your structure to adequately change what needs to be changed. Pay people for the work they put in and understand there needs to be a work life balance. Consider hiring more employees for support to take some of the stress off your overworked and tired employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Knowledgeable Management, but shady

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Concord, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Concord, MA

I have been working at Justice Resource Institute full-time

Pros

The company had alot of resseach and they back it
    Okay Pay
    The training is intese details and 1:1 time with clients

Cons

Positions are "removed", but then given to others

High turnover

Great Company

I have been working at Justice Resource Institute

Pros

Helping People, Changing lives, Set own schedule

Cons

Hours, demand, paperwork is demanding

N/a

Tough love works best but all we have is hippie new age clinicians with smiley stickers

Current Employee - Assistant Supervisor
    Current Employee - Assistant Supervisor

I have been working at Justice Resource Institute full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

It's better than most non degree jobs. It was a great job when we had good clinicians that had experience dealing with this population on a daily basis and know all the games and tricks the population played. Now we have clinicians that have no experience except for what some book they read in there masters program said to do on a given situation.

Cons

High mentally intense environment working with teens/adults with cognitive and mental disorders. Clinicians and Management only see the clients two hours a week set the policies and then hide in their offices and allow the staff to be abused by there lack of structure and consequences. Absolutely no structure or consequences for anything anymore. A kid can call you every name in the book and refuse to do anything and the next hour you are give them a bowl of ice cream because that is how the clinicians plan it.

Stop thinking that these teens/adults need to be babied. We are not readying them for the real world when we allow them to do anything without consequences. Clinicians need to first work with the regular staff on the floor for a time so they can get a real life sense of the clients instead of this "self help" book approach.

Good attitude, good people

Former Employee - Clinician
    Former Employee - Clinician

I worked at Justice Resource Institute full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great coworkers and a positive work environ, ment.

Cons

It's not that leadership is bad so much as it is their program directors for their various locations/ programs have are limitted in their ability to control their own outfits.

Better training for ALL staff, and continuous trainings monthly.

Salary isnt competitive, but company does incredible work and management cares

Current Employee - Program Coordinator  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Boston, MA

I have been working at Justice Resource Institute full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Well resourced organization, managers listen and take in employee feedback, review process is very open and honest, generous benefits package, rewarding work, very smart and dedicated employees, felt as if many managers truly had an opendoor policy, great work culture, big organizational announcements were always done as early on as possible, a lot of independence and creativity allowed in many positions. It is a very strong social justice organization that does a lot of everything, if youre a passionate person youll fit right in.

Cons

Salary isnt competitive for nonprofits in the Boston area and raises or even COLA are very rare so turnover for new ambitious employees can be rapid so loss of institutional memory is tough, watching your coworkers leave for orgs to do similar work with the same title but for better pay is unfortunately somewhat common, streamlining inter-departmental communication would be very helpful, too many projects rely exclusively on grant funding

JRI does amazing work and has very strong leadership, Im certain you can find a lot of private funding if a Development Department is formed.

Great place to work, great place to grow

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Justice Resource Institute full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

If social justice is your passion--no matter where that leads you--you'll find a place at JRI that works for you. JRI is one of the few companies (nonprofit and otherwise) that still has an active, generous defined benefit pension plan.

Cons

Money in human services is not always great--but through hard work and promotion you can make a career at JRI.

Keep growing the agency, keep creating opportunity. Never forget that serving the clients at the highest level is the best strategy for success

No future or career path for most

Current Employee - Residential Counselor  in  Swansea, MA
    Current Employee - Residential Counselor in Swansea, MA

I have been working at Justice Resource Institute full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very secured employment and great direct management team. Much of the time is easy laid back. Great benefits and retirement package. Spend alot of time working and help children. Able to go on very fun trips with the children.

Cons

Very little pay for the amount of daily stress that comes with working with children with behavioral problems. Upper management seems to listen, but not hear complaints. Unable to work with family members, spouses, or relationship partners. Any attempt to improve something is met with little involvement. Very little support and understanding from management.

Personally I have worked for the same placement for over 7 years. In that time the only raise I received was from going from part-time to full-time, form $12 to $12.26. With no raises in the pipeline in the future. There is a real possibly that I will work for the company for 10 years and make just as much as a new employee starting at the $12/hr rate. In economic terms I am actually making less money now than when I started as the cost of living has increased, but my salary has not.

The best employees are leaving because they can't afford to stay, please pay us. There is no incentive to work hard, but for personal ethics.

Worked for Justice Resource Institute? Contribute to the Community!