K. Hovnanian Homes Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.3
Ara K. Hovnanian

Pros
  • The people are great and hardworking (in 4 reviews)

• I usually spent this time doing reports, follow-ups, marketing busy-work, or gossiping on the phone (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Employees are basically told they are expendable and that they are lucky to have a job (in 2 reviews)

• The downside is that they tend to promote those who take others credit, and they tend to promote those who have family members in top positions (in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Great place to work.

Former Employee - Quality and Service Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Quality and Service Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at K. Hovnanian Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great support, good training, "do the right thing" culture. Was given good training when I started and ongoing as needed. Always had supportive bosses and others who had influence on my tasks. They let me do my work but were available and always willing to give advice, discuss options, and work out solutions if needed. They were not afraid to spend some money if it meant doing the right thing, unlike many others builders. Customer focused more than dollar driven. Had great people when I was there and morale was higo, a family feel. This changed a little before I left but was still a great atmosphere. Very good benefits with an emphasis on health care.

Cons

At the time I was there the advancement opportunities were limited and pay was not as much as I hoped for. Although I was offered a promotion to stay, the pay was still short of my new opportunity. Some important tasks were not priorities to all which impacted my work, making it frustrating at times. I guess this is true everywhere to some extent.

Advice to Management

Share long range plans with everyone. Better forecasting is necessary to ensure stability and positive outlook of employees.

2. Good company, Slow Movement

Former Employee - Senior Systems Support Specialist in Red Bank, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Support Specialist in Red Bank, NJ

I worked at K. Hovnanian Homes full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Friendly environment, good benefits, willing to work with associates in regards to hours worked. Yearly recognition awards are given out.

Cons

Slow, if any, advancement opportunities. Raises are merit based, with no guaranteed COL increase. Management is also given a total they're allowed to give, so one person on a team always has to get less for somebody to get more.

Advice to Management

Make sure that the employees are recognized more than once a year.

3. KHOV

Current Employee - Sales Host in Pearland, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Host in Pearland, TX

I have been working at K. Hovnanian Homes (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great support system to provide professional growth

Cons

Flexibility in schedule in Sales

5. Marketing Administrator

Current Employee - Marketing Administrator in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Marketing Administrator in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at K. Hovnanian Homes (More than a year)

Pros

Work balance. Lots to learn. Mobility to advance.

Cons

Smaller company- corporate very involved

6. K hov ccm

I have been working at K. Hovnanian Homes

Pros

Company atmosphere feels small but is vast

Cons

Too much work and too few people

7. Used to be great...

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at K. Hovnanian Homes full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Brighton Homes/ KHOV was once a great place to work. If you were willing to put in the effort, the compensation was great and you were treated fairly. I worked for several different sales managers and most were supportive and created an environment that provided an opportunity to succeed.

Cons

In the last couple of years senior management has begun to turn-over. Upper management seems to be in a turf battle. Veteran Sales Managers have left and those that remain seem to have given up. New Sales Managers have created a hostile environment. Top producers have left and others are on their way out. Poor treatment, commission cuts and the dramatic change in culture is driving good people away.

Advice to Management

Corporate needs to step in and get this division under control! Get rid of the toxic managers and start treating sales a valued team members rather than disposable, worthless assets. It's not to late to correct recent mistakes and turn things around but that will have to be done from the highest levels.

8. Sucked the life out of me!

Current Employee - Construction in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Construction in Naperville, IL

I have been working at K. Hovnanian Homes

Pros

Enjoyed the people that worked for me and the trade relationships I built. That is about it for pros.

Cons

They will take advantage of you every chance they get! You will do the job of 5 people and never get the credit or money you deserve. Upper management that are in the office are quick to blame you or field guys just as quick as they will take credit for your success . Trades do not get paid on time, The V.Ps taught they are a top 10 builder look around, Their stock has not been above six dollars. Highly leveraged company full of self righteous morons.

Advice to Management

Take a look around, you are failing miserably. Stop sweeping mold and other problems under the carpet while patting yourself on the back.

9. Sales Consultant

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at K. Hovnanian Homes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere at the corporate office. Professionalism is to be expected and appreciated. Pay is on par for the industry. If you decide to work for them in sales, go in with your eyes wide open and aware you are replaceable and will be whenever they decide, without discussion.

Cons

Management is slow to recognize when the pricing they've set is the real reason sales slow down, not the representatives who are all trained, experienced professionals. Quick to let go of quality sales representatives and then making the needed price adjustments after they hire new employees. Opinions of sales people are not valued or considered important.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees before disgrunteled customers. Put actions behind the words that sales people's opinions are valued. Consider offering a "probation" period of time, or relocating a trained sales person before just telling them, it's not working out, you need to leave, now. Not professional in dismissing.

Dysfunctional!

Current Employee - Community Sales in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Community Sales in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at K. Hovnanian Homes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Please do yourself a favor and stay away from this company.

Cons

I have worked for K Hovnanian in the sales division for the last 3 years. The company has outdated systems that are redundant, creating confusion from land, sales and marketing. This company is a disaster, full of nepotism and back stabbing. There is a small group of people that are hard working and loyal, however the majority of management does not care for the workers or trade partners. Do your research and you will find out why K Hovnanian as of June 2015 are trading under $3 a share, the company is under capitalized with a huge burden of debt (1.6 billion). Poor quality homes makes it a nightmare for a new home owner. The C.E.O in Red Bank New Jersey has no idea how bad it is in Maryland. The company motto of "First name in lasting value" is a complete joke. If the founder of KHov were to see what has happened to his beloved company he would have been terribly heart broken. Please, do yourself a favor and avoid this company.

Advice to Management

What management?

Better builders to work for

I worked at K. Hovnanian Homes

Pros

Hours of operation are decent. The ability to establish your own marketing plan and grow a large industry network. Publicly traded company.

Cons

Poor management with no regard for sales consultants. Poor base salary...next to nothing. Company marketing efforts are practically nonexistent.

Advice to Management

Treat sales consultants with a little respect and decency as they are the legs in which you stand on.

RSS Feed </> Embed