K. Hovnanian Homes Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.1
Ara K. Hovnanian

Pros
  • The people are great and hardworking (in 4 reviews)

• I usually spent this time doing reports, follow-ups, marketing busy-work, or gossiping on the phone (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Employees are basically told they are expendable and that they are lucky to have a job (in 2 reviews)

• The downside is that they tend to promote those who take others credit, and they tend to promote those who have family members in top positions (in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Great place to work.

Former Employee - Quality and Service Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Quality and Service Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at K. Hovnanian Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great support, good training, "do the right thing" culture. Was given good training when I started and ongoing as needed. Always had supportive bosses and others who had influence on my tasks. They let me do my work but were available and always willing to give advice, discuss options, and work out solutions if needed. They were not afraid to spend some money if it meant doing the right thing, unlike many others builders. Customer focused more than dollar driven. Had great people when I was there and morale was higo, a family feel. This changed a little before I left but was still a great atmosphere. Very good benefits with an emphasis on health care.

Cons

At the time I was there the advancement opportunities were limited and pay was not as much as I hoped for. Although I was offered a promotion to stay, the pay was still short of my new opportunity. Some important tasks were not priorities to all which impacted my work, making it frustrating at times. I guess this is true everywhere to some extent.

Advice to Management

Share long range plans with everyone. Better forecasting is necessary to ensure stability and positive outlook of employees.

2. Good company, Slow Movement

Former Employee - Senior Systems Support Specialist in Red Bank, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Support Specialist in Red Bank, NJ

I worked at K. Hovnanian Homes full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Friendly environment, good benefits, willing to work with associates in regards to hours worked. Yearly recognition awards are given out.

Cons

Slow, if any, advancement opportunities. Raises are merit based, with no guaranteed COL increase. Management is also given a total they're allowed to give, so one person on a team always has to get less for somebody to get more.

Advice to Management

Make sure that the employees are recognized more than once a year.

3. KHOV

Current Employee - Sales Host in Pearland, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Host in Pearland, TX

I have been working at K. Hovnanian Homes (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great support system to provide professional growth

Cons

Flexibility in schedule in Sales

5. Director of Purchasing

Former Employee - Home Builder in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Home Builder in Irvine, CA

I worked at K. Hovnanian Homes (More than a year)

Pros

Large national home builder based in northeast. Have decent name recognition.

Cons

Regional operations and senior management inexperienced in smooth operations. Made simple tasks difficult. Good structure and positive culture is lacking.

Advice to Management

Need to evaluate current structure and culture and modify. Company has a negative connotation i the industry.

Terrible CFO - Promotes incompetency

Former Employee - Controller in Edison, NJ
    Former Employee - Controller in Edison, NJ

Pros

A lot of great people to work with.

Cons

Senior management leads by dictatorship. I have never had a more condescending interaction with C suite executive as I did with the current CFO. CFO talks down to people at every turn. It is how he keeps CEO fooled. CFO is a scared child.

Advice to Management

Allowing your top brass to act like bullies only inhibits growth and development of talent. CFO has to go. He has cost you hundreds of millions and anyone can bring what he does...you have a younger smarter replacement ready to go...use him. Listen to what your honest employees tell you. Stop promoting based on tenure.. adopt transparency as a core value.

7. So Unprofessional

Former Employee - Senior Management
    Former Employee - Senior Management

Pros

There are several hard working employees.

Cons

The current C.E.O. has been fooled by the group President in Arizona. Anyone who has worked on the West Coast knows the dysfunction is real. K Hovnanian used to be great. Today, it's unprofessional, disorganized and impossible to succeed.

Advice to Management

Treat people right, stand up when you know something is wrong. There a several opportunities out there again, the market is strong!

8. Marketing Administrator

Current Employee - Marketing Administrator in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Marketing Administrator in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at K. Hovnanian Homes (More than a year)

Pros

Work balance. Lots to learn. Mobility to advance.

Cons

Smaller company- corporate very involved

9. Senior Level

I worked at K. Hovnanian Homes full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Many good, hard working, dedicated associates.

Cons

Micro managed by Group President. Lack of trust results in low moral and dysfunctional work environment.

Advice to Management

Big problem on the West Coast. Senior Management at the Group level is over their head in California.

10. K hov ccm

Pros

Company atmosphere feels small but is vast

Cons

Too much work and too few people

11. Used to be great...

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at K. Hovnanian Homes full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Brighton Homes/ KHOV was once a great place to work. If you were willing to put in the effort, the compensation was great and you were treated fairly. I worked for several different sales managers and most were supportive and created an environment that provided an opportunity to succeed.

Cons

In the last couple of years senior management has begun to turn-over. Upper management seems to be in a turf battle. Veteran Sales Managers have left and those that remain seem to have given up. New Sales Managers have created a hostile environment. Top producers have left and others are on their way out. Poor treatment, commission cuts and the dramatic change in culture is driving good people away.

Advice to Management

Corporate needs to step in and get this division under control! Get rid of the toxic managers and start treating sales a valued team members rather than disposable, worthless assets. It's not to late to correct recent mistakes and turn things around but that will have to be done from the highest levels.

RSS Feed </> Embed