K. Hovnanian Homes Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.1
Ara K. Hovnanian

Pros
  • The people are great and hardworking (in 4 reviews)

• I usually spent this time doing reports, follow-ups, marketing busy-work, or gossiping on the phone (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Employees are basically told they are expendable and that they are lucky to have a job (in 2 reviews)

• The downside is that they tend to promote those who take others credit, and they tend to promote those who have family members in top positions (in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Great place to work.

Former Employee - Quality and Service Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Quality and Service Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at K. Hovnanian Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great support, good training, "do the right thing" culture. Was given good training when I started and ongoing as needed. Always had supportive bosses and others who had influence on my tasks. They let me do my work but were available and always willing to give advice, discuss options, and work out solutions if needed. They were not afraid to spend some money if it meant doing the right thing, unlike many others builders. Customer focused more than dollar driven. Had great people when I was there and morale was higo, a family feel. This changed a little before I left but was still a great atmosphere. Very good benefits with an emphasis on health care.

Cons

At the time I was there the advancement opportunities were limited and pay was not as much as I hoped for. Although I was offered a promotion to stay, the pay was still short of my new opportunity. Some important tasks were not priorities to all which impacted my work, making it frustrating at times. I guess this is true everywhere to some extent.

Advice to Management

Share long range plans with everyone. Better forecasting is necessary to ensure stability and positive outlook of employees.

2. Great team

Former Employee - Information Technology in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Plano, TX

I worked at K. Hovnanian Homes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome team that values individuals and their contributions.

Cons

Limited opportunity for career growth.

Advice to Management

Keep being awesome!

3. K. Hovnanian is growing, creating opportunities in sales, production and related careers.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Red Bank, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Red Bank, NJ

I have been working at K. Hovnanian Homes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

K. Hovnanian provides structure and stability without being bureauocratic. It has the land position and financing to continue its growth. Convenient on-line training is available to employees to help them to succeed. High on teamwork. The least "political" company I've worked for. Honest management team that honors its commitments to employees.

Cons

This is not the company for 9-5'rs

Advice to Management

Congrtauations on your good employee communications

Purchasing

Current Employee - Purchasing in Landover, MD
    Current Employee - Purchasing in Landover, MD

I have been working at K. Hovnanian Homes full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company has great culture, systems, processes and a Team approach to getting things done! Having been with the company through the up and downs of the recession now is the time for company. It is growing again with Communities and Associates.

Cons

None that are considered important.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in the Associates, Processes, Systems and Training that will separate Hovnanian from other builders that are also in the Homebuilding market.

6. Good place to work until the market changed

Pros

The company is committed to deliver a quality product at a good price to the consumer and stands behind their product. Treated employees and customers fairly.

Cons

Management changes could be quick and dramatic, with no forewarning. Corporate office middle management and staff in N.J. believed they had the answer to every problem, even ones they weren't familiar with. Too many experts with too little real experience. Often wondered if people got paid more for every slide in their PowerPoint presentations!

Advice to Management

Corporate management needs to leave local issues to local management. Make decisive decisions instead of just incremental changes.

K. Hovnanian Architect

Former Employee - Associate Architect in Red Bank, NJ
    Former Employee - Associate Architect in Red Bank, NJ

Pros

Multiple career paths are open to any employee.

Cons

The pay is not as competitive as they promote.

Advice to Management

Reward successful associates rather than across the board raises based on percentages.

Treasury Analyst

Current Employee - Financial Analyst - Treasury in Red Bank, NJ
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst - Treasury in Red Bank, NJ

Pros

- in the treasury you see and know all. High degree of autonomy and ability to showcase your skills and leadership.

Cons

Inadequate pay. Lack of performance reviews or knowledge of career path

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect and EQUALLY in the same roles.

9. Highly motivated company!

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Houston, TX

Pros

KHOV is very organized internally. They are highly motivated to sell homes, while not losing focus of customer satisfaction and quality. KHOV has one of the strongest construction teams I have ever been a part of.

Cons

KHOV is a bit rigid when it comes to its employee organization. You are not allowed to directly contact anyone that is not your direct supervisor. They also do not promote independent thinking. Every decision has to go through a chain of command.

Advice to Management

If you are pursuing a sales career with KHOV, I encourage you to negotiate your terms of employment.

10. Great place to work

Former Employee - Sales Professional in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Professional in New York, NY

Pros

K. Hovnanian cares about employees; has a great perspective on work/life balance, and has opportunities to advance. Each division is independent enough that you can rise to your greatest level of competence.

Cons

The real estate industry is tough, so if you are looking for a place to make a boat load of money, your timing might be off.

Advice to Management

Keep it a meritocracy. People were promoted based on their performance and that's the best way to do it. Kept everyone motivated.

11. Depends on where you live...

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at K. Hovnanian Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working as a sales consultant in Houston,TX was a wonderful experience. The market in Texas is steady, Texans are laid back so it was not stressful, and the managers apreciated the work we did. Of course, every manager is differet... My day as a sales cosultant started around 10am usually. Four to five hours in the model home could be spent napping given the number of people that come in on a weekday morning. I usually spent this time doing reports, follow-ups, marketing busy-work, or gossiping on the phone. When clients came in, put on your game face and sell! The only issue with this job is working Sundays until 6pm. I think work/life balance in the US is a joke period and this industry is a great example of that. However, the pay was great and the stress was low. A wonderful place to work if you do not have young children. Pros: Beautiful environment Great pay Lots of vacation time

Cons

There is really no chance of upward moility for sales people. Most make their money and move on, very few ever get to management or corporate positions.

Advice to Management

Appreciate that everyone has a family! It is a waste of money and bad business to keep sales people in an empty office on Sunday night.

RSS Feed </> Embed