K-VA-T Food Stores

Updated October 14, 2014
Updated October 14, 2014
3.3

Steve Smith

The store was in great shape, some of the other FEM's thought they were high and mighty and it gets old very fast.

Current Employee - Front End Manager in Johnson City, TN
    Current Employee - Front End Manager in Johnson City, TN

I have been working at K-VA-T Food Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the return customers learn your name and you learn theirs and you enjoy seeing them everyday and learning about them. Many of the cashiers/baggers are pleasant. It's a couple FEMS you have to watch out for.

Cons

Some customers are VERY rude and cruel to you.

Demote the FEMs that are not doing anything good. Take a poll from the cashiers/baggers who they think is doing the best and ACT ON IT.

Great job if you're a diligent worker that enjoys being lied to.

Former Employee - Customer Service Coordinator in Kingston, TN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Coordinator in Kingston, TN

I worked at K-VA-T Food Stores part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Something for most everyone. If you like people, they have a spot for you. If you prefer to be alone, they have a spot for your.

Cons

No set schedule. Not only will your shift change day to day and week to week, but the schedule will change midweek and you will be held liable for any shift you miss or are late for, without any notification.

They will promise you raises and promotions that are given only so often, then conveniently forget to schedule you for the testing.

Hours are constantly cut. No one is given full time.

You are given a script to say to customers. No being yourself or trying to be personable.

The only way you will be promoted is if you look down on others. All upper management has an attitude toward anyone lower. One manager was threatened with demotion because she had friends that worked at the same store. The head cashier told this shift manager that she was above them now and couldn't have her job and those friends.

Listen to the people that actually do the work. The ones that interact with customers. If someone is repeatedly complained about, there is probably some sort of issue.

Was great as a starter job, but few opportunities for advance

Current Employee - Cake Decorator/Deli Helper
    Current Employee - Cake Decorator/Deli Helper

I have been working at K-VA-T Food Stores full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

--Good hours once full-time,
    --employers were generally willing to work around my college schedule and good about giving days off
    --went full time fairly quickly,
    -- really learned a lot about Customer Service and Self-management,
    --Great insurance benefits including eye care and dental
    --401k matched up to 2% by company
    --Bonus pay for holidays and birthdays once full-time
    --Pretty steady raises even if they weren't extravagant (top out salary not yet reached) (yearly evaluations done on birthday)
    --Higher pay for bakery/deli and meat dept.
    --If you work there long enough you get to know the customers really well (and the customers really engage with you if you are kind to them)

Cons

--While most customers are nice, a lot of them can be very rude or even down right creepy. (This, however is the nature of retail) At times behavior bordered on harassment or violent, but management would not step in, or would offer customer free items to get them out of the store instead of solving the problem
    --Employees not held to the same standards. Some of my coworkers had legitimate problems with drugs and alcohol but were never reprimanded or tested when it was brought to the attention of dept or store managers
    --few great employees pick up the slack of all the lazy/sick employees without reward
    --High stress situation,
    --management acts supportive to your face, but doesn't follow through,
    --HR for my particular store didn't know the answer to most questions and/or tried not to get involved in disputes she was supposed to resolve,
    --little opportunity for advancement once full-time (mostly men advancing to positions of higher management while women get positions of management mostly in Bakery/deli, video, floral, and front end)
    --Equipment ALWAYS breaking down (not even remotely joking here) When reported to the manager, he/she doesn't seem to care
    --Direct dept. manager sometimes participated in unethical behavior and expected his/her employees to do so too if it meant she would avoid a reprimand from the store manager/regional manager
    --higher management are nice people, but can be out of touch with the day to day processes of a dept.
    --not unionized which can be good, but also means that a person with less experience can be hired in with better hours and pay than an employee who's been with the company for a while,
    --incredibly high turn over of employees (in my store due to bad hiring),
    --My particular area was bakery deli and it seemed like we were always making things to production only to throw them away (but unable to put out less product because management said so)

Listen to your employees! Get better management at the departmental level. Give better opportunities for advancement. And if someone has a problem with substance then DO something about it before that person harms them self or someone else.

Great environment to learn and grow in.

I have been working at K-VA-T Food Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

While working for the company I was able to learn a wealth of knowledge from the way the company was started to current processes. Management was always willing to help answer any questions that I may have had.

Cons

Not being able to advance at the pace you wanted to. Sometimes felt like I was being held back because I was good where I was at and they didn't want to loose me in that department.

Good technology, but lack of resources and out of touch executives

I have been working at K-VA-T Food Stores full-time

Pros

Good training, people, and technology

Cons

Horrible management and executive level that are out of touch and lack support for associates.

Consideration for associates, "Doing the right thing" should be more than words.

Meat cutter

Current Employee - Meat Cutter in Cedar Bluff, VA
    Current Employee - Meat Cutter in Cedar Bluff, VA

I have been working at K-VA-T Food Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work environment, company, advancement opportunities

Cons

Hours, salary, n/a, n/a, n/a, n/a

Food City - Too Much to Do, Not Enough Time/People to Do It.

Current Employee - Bakery/Deli Clerk in Oak Ridge, TN
    Current Employee - Bakery/Deli Clerk in Oak Ridge, TN

I have been working at K-VA-T Food Stores part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Employees themselves are decent folk and that I learned how to grill cook - on my own, without any training - VERY well, as well as general cooking practices that I can take home and use for my family. The benefits that even part-time workers can get are more than decent.

Cons

Upper management is extremely detached from what's really going on within their own stores, coming up with inflexible and/or unintelligent solutions. Some departments are constantly understaffed, yet as time goes on more work is expected out of the few folks staffed during the day and night. There are trouble coworkers that don't get punished/terminated for doing lousy jobs. There's no regard for hard work, dedication, and merit. There is equipment that need repairs, but management doesn't seem to care even after being reminded several times. Coworkers are constantly starting rumors and talking behind each other's backs. The happiness index of most of the employees is disturbingly low, including myself. Procedures are never constant and change often - no one store works like the other or even have the same updated equipment. Work hours are stringent - there's not enough time to take care of every portion of responsibilities. There is rarely any chance of advancement, if there are any at all for part-time workers.

Pay attention. Open your ears. Look around for once. Stop and question that possibly the problem is you and not entirely your employees.

got to become friends with other co workers and customer

Former Employee - Cashier in Vansant, VA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Vansant, VA

I worked at K-VA-T Food Stores part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

they are very good to work for and they will do everything that they can to help co workers and customer

Cons

they give hours to their pick if they don't like you you get no hours

treat co workers all the same and try to help them all you can

Overall a wonderful, great experience.

Former Employee - Cashier in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Cashier in Knoxville, TN

I worked at K-VA-T Food Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You always get a break no matter how many hours
    If you have six or more hours you get an hour long lunch
    Great management

Cons

I do not have any cons

I think there is wonderful management.

FoodCity

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at K-VA-T Food Stores part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

nice co workers
    different jobs to train on
    flexible schedule

Cons

low pay
    very few weekends off