K-VA-T Food Stores Reviews

Steve Smith

1. Enjoyable few issues

Current Employee - Cashier in Greeneville, TN
    Current Employee - Cashier in Greeneville, TN

I have been working at K-VA-T Food Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, pay, day shift,

Cons

FEM (few) hourly employees favored(few)

Advice to Management

Watch closer who actually works and who just has you fooled

2. Good place to start working and develop skills.

Current Employee - Assistant Bakery Deli Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Bakery Deli Manager

I have been working at K-VA-T Food Stores

Pros

Flexible hours. Good pay for work done. Plenty of cross training available.

Cons

Management appointed needs to be reviewed.

Advice to Management

Take into consideration the attitudes of people being appointed to positions.

3. I have been working at K-VA-T Food Stores

Pros

Not a very tasking job, lenient about hours

Cons

Scheduling can sometimes be an issue.

5. Poor leadership

I worked at K-VA-T Food Stores

Pros

I worked part time so if I needed time off, I got it. I asked for a holiday off because my family lived out of state and instead of the three days I asked for (two days for travel and one day for the actual holiday) I got five.

Cons

I always worked closing shift. There was never any opportunity for me to advance to full time or even an opening or mid shift. They told me because I was new there would never be any discussion of me having better hours. Also everyone in my department who had been there for any considerable amount of time was two faced. People would be kind to your face but would leave lists of supposed things you didn't do to try and get you fired.

Advice to Management

Balance hours between all staff regardless of experience and stop allowing such childish behavior in the workplace.

6. A job your better to avoid

I have been working at K-VA-T Food Stores

Pros

Works around your schedule if needed

Cons

Low pay for the work you do, no training, awful benfits for full time employes, bad mangment and awful management, micromanged to death, work holidays full time or no vacation till over a year, just treated like a slave not a vauled employ.

Advice to Management

Stop micormanging everybody to death and treat your employs a little better give raises when raises are due,

7. Great job if you're a diligent worker that enjoys being lied to.

Former Employee - Customer Service Coordinator in Kingston, TN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Coordinator in Kingston, TN

I worked at K-VA-T Food Stores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Something for most everyone. If you like people, they have a spot for you. If you prefer to be alone, they have a spot for your.

Cons

No set schedule. Not only will your shift change day to day and week to week, but the schedule will change midweek and you will be held liable for any shift you miss or are late for, without any notification.

They will promise you raises and promotions that are given only so often, then conveniently forget to schedule you for the testing.

Hours are constantly cut. No one is given full time.

You are given a script to say to customers. No being yourself or trying to be personable.

The only way you will be promoted is if you look down on others. All upper management has an attitude toward anyone lower. One manager was threatened with demotion because she had friends that worked at the same store. The head cashier told this shift manager that she was above them now and couldn't have her job and those friends.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people that actually do the work. The ones that interact with customers. If someone is repeatedly complained about, there is probably some sort of issue.

8. Was great as a starter job, but few opportunities for advance

Current Employee - Cake Decorator/Deli Helper
    Current Employee - Cake Decorator/Deli Helper

I have been working at K-VA-T Food Stores full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

--Good hours once full-time,
    --employers were generally willing to work around my college schedule and good about giving days off
    --went full time fairly quickly,
    -- really learned a lot about Customer Service and Self-management,
    --Great insurance benefits including eye care and dental
    --401k matched up to 2% by company
    --Bonus pay for holidays and birthdays once full-time
    --Pretty steady raises even if they weren't extravagant (top out salary not yet reached) (yearly evaluations done on birthday)
    --Higher pay for bakery/deli and meat dept.
    --If you work there long enough you get to know the customers really well (and the customers really engage with you if you are kind to them)

Cons

--While most customers are nice, a lot of them can be very rude or even down right creepy. (This, however is the nature of retail) At times behavior bordered on harassment or violent, but management would not step in, or would offer customer free items to get them out of the store instead of solving the problem
    --Employees not held to the same standards. Some of my coworkers had legitimate problems with drugs and alcohol but were never reprimanded or tested when it was brought to the attention of dept or store managers
    --few great employees pick up the slack of all the lazy/sick employees without reward
    --High stress situation,
    --management acts supportive to your face, but doesn't follow through,
    --HR for my particular store didn't know the answer to most questions and/or tried not to get involved in disputes she was supposed to resolve,
    --little opportunity for advancement once full-time (mostly men advancing to positions of higher management while women get positions of management mostly in Bakery/deli, video, floral, and front end)
    --Equipment ALWAYS breaking down (not even remotely joking here) When reported to the manager, he/she doesn't seem to care
    --Direct dept. manager sometimes participated in unethical behavior and expected his/her employees to do so too if it meant she would avoid a reprimand from the store manager/regional manager
    --higher management are nice people, but can be out of touch with the day to day processes of a dept.
    --not unionized which can be good, but also means that a person with less experience can be hired in with better hours and pay than an employee who's been with the company for a while,
    --incredibly high turn over of employees (in my store due to bad hiring),
    --My particular area was bakery deli and it seemed like we were always making things to production only to throw them away (but unable to put out less product because management said so)

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees! Get better management at the departmental level. Give better opportunities for advancement. And if someone has a problem with substance then DO something about it before that person harms them self or someone else.

9. The store was in great shape, some of the other FEM's thought they were high and mighty and it gets old very fast.

Current Employee - Front End Manager in Johnson City, TN
    Current Employee - Front End Manager in Johnson City, TN

I have been working at K-VA-T Food Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the return customers learn your name and you learn theirs and you enjoy seeing them everyday and learning about them. Many of the cashiers/baggers are pleasant. It's a couple FEMS you have to watch out for.

Cons

Some customers are VERY rude and cruel to you.

Advice to Management

Demote the FEMs that are not doing anything good. Take a poll from the cashiers/baggers who they think is doing the best and ACT ON IT.

10. Great environment to learn and grow in.

I have been working at K-VA-T Food Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

While working for the company I was able to learn a wealth of knowledge from the way the company was started to current processes. Management was always willing to help answer any questions that I may have had.

Cons

Not being able to advance at the pace you wanted to. Sometimes felt like I was being held back because I was good where I was at and they didn't want to loose me in that department.

11. Good technology, but lack of resources and out of touch executives

I have been working at K-VA-T Food Stores full-time

Pros

Good training, people, and technology

Cons

Horrible management and executive level that are out of touch and lack support for associates.

Advice to Management

Consideration for associates, "Doing the right thing" should be more than words.

RSS Feed </> Embed