K12

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Nate Davis

Pros:
  • "The flexibility of the job that allows me to work from home part of the time is the best feature"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Except for product deployments, the work/life balance for software developers is good"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "Lack of communication between participating schools and K12"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Communication from upper management could be better in certain divisions of the company"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Nice to see a company look beyond the profit margins.

Visual Designer (Current Employee)
    Herndon, VA

ProsFlexible work hours, creative co-workers, positive attitudes, and the knowledge that you're creating a product that has real value.

ConsSome political aspects to advancement (it's occasionally who you know and how friendly you are with those folks that determines your success vs. quality of work). Most of the company directors hold their positions simply due to time in service vs. actual management/leadership skills or talent.

Work Culture

Recruiter (Current Employee)
    Herndon, VA

ProsAwesome work culture. People are very supportive and they give the space to bring out ideas of your own also. They understand their employees and their needs.

ConsI don't see any :)

Advice to Senior ManagementThey are doing a awesome job

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

I love my job, my co-works, my boss, and my students!!

Middle School Teacher (Current Employee)
    Gainesville, FL

ProsWork at home. The company and administration truly respects your personal time and family life. Everyone is positive and supportive and even though it is a HUGE company, the teams are small enough that you still have a family-type feeling.

ConsNone really, but there are a lot of changes so if you don't like that it might be something to consider.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep respecting and valuing your employees. It shows and we appreciate it!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very supportive environment.

ProsKnowledgable people that care about students.

ConsWork more than 40+ hours a week.

Awesome, love working here.

ProsHigh energy environment
    Great Employees
    Fun Environment
    Flexibility to work from home

ConsVery Rapid growth which leads to employees having heavy workload which also leads to over half of the company being contractors

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat job. Best management I have seen in my career.

Working at K12, Inc. was a very positive, rewarding experience.

Administrator (Former Employee)

ProsOpportunity to be part of a creative team committed to high-quality education of students.
    Commitment to constant improvement of all elements of the educational program.
    Commitment to support solutions at the local level vs top-down decision-making.

ConsOptions for career promotions required extensive travel in my specialty field.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to maintain positive corporate values.

Great place to work

ProsWork life balance. Opportunity to create. Job security. Flexible hours for many positions.

ConsCommute for on site people.

Advice to Senior ManagementNice work.

50/50

Herndon, VA

ProsThe work environment is awesome!! Really laid back and for the most part everyone gets along rather well. Perfect place to if you just joining Corporate America.

ConsNew upper management seem to have their own agendas and it only includes the people they like or brought over with them from their previous job.

Advice to Senior ManagementFight more for your employees instead of trying to impress upper management.

started off great and slowly losing morale

Prosflexible schedule and oppurtunity for growth

Conspoor upper management and low moral, not alot of leadership in management

Good while it lasts

Online Teacher (Current Employee)
    Herndon, VA

ProsThe private schools allow teachers to set flexible hours, not just 9-5. You can also do Sunday through Thursday instead of the traditional workweek. Managers discourage teachers for working more than 40 hours a week, to avoid burn out. The curriculum department creates the lessons and being online removes teachers from the duty of policing behavior (gum chewing, tardiness, dress code, etc), so teachers are only responsible for grading and answering student questions. Many students respond really well to the online environment, and you form a better relationship with them than you would in a traditional classroom. Pay is good, but school is year-round so really it balances out. Working from home allows better time management.

ConsSince we are online and the curriculum is set up an an independent study, there is no opportunity to do fun stuff like cooperative learning or field trips. The curriculum department creates lessons in a one-size-fits all method for all K12 students, and modifying them is cumbersome and frowned upon. Student who go AWOL are hard to reach, and many parents don't understand technology and have difficulty monitoring their student's progress (or just can't be bothered). Getting promotions or raises is difficult because you have no interaction with coworkers, no opportunity to impress management or get to know them. NO CONTRACTS so people can and do disappear with zero advanced warning, just because someone with zero education background decided that they could do some cost cutting somewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow more communication between faculty, curriculum, and admissions. Establish yearly contracts. Abandon traditional school concepts of "winter break" and "spring break" and instead increase vacation days. Interact more with teachers. Allow vacation days to accrue based on date of hire rather than the fiscal year and allow them to roll over - so we don't have everyone trying to to use up all their days in July, when we are busy with both the spring terms and summer school and prepping for the fall.

Worked for K12? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at K12 reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for K12 CEO Nate Davis. All 157 reviews posted anonymously by K12 employees.