K12

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Nate Davis

Pros
  • The flexibility of the job that allows me to work from home part of the time is the best feature(in 25 reviews)

• Except for product deployments, the work/life balance for software developers is good(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of communication between participating schools and K12(in 7 reviews)

• Communication from upper management could be better in certain divisions of the company(in 12 reviews)

Nice to see a company look beyond the profit margins.

Visual Designer (Current Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsFlexible work hours, creative co-workers, positive attitudes, and the knowledge that you're creating a product that has real value.

ConsSome political aspects to advancement (it's occasionally who you know and how friendly you are with those folks that determines your success vs. quality of work). Most of the company directors hold their positions simply due to time in service vs. actual management/leadership skills or talent.

Work Culture

Recruiter (Current Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsAwesome work culture. People are very supportive and they give the space to bring out ideas of your own also. They understand their employees and their needs.

ConsI don't see any :)

Advice to Senior ManagementThey are doing a awesome job

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

I love my job, my co-works, my boss, and my students!!

Middle School Teacher (Current Employee) Gainesville, FL

ProsWork at home. The company and administration truly respects your personal time and family life. Everyone is positive and supportive and even though it is a HUGE company, the teams are small enough that you still have a family-type feeling.

ConsNone really, but there are a lot of changes so if you don't like that it might be something to consider.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep respecting and valuing your employees. It shows and we appreciate it!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very supportive environment.

ProsKnowledgable people that care about students.

ConsWork more than 40+ hours a week.

Awesome, love working here.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsHigh energy environment
    Great Employees
    Fun Environment
    Flexibility to work from home

ConsVery Rapid growth which leads to employees having heavy workload which also leads to over half of the company being contractors

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat job. Best management I have seen in my career.

Working at K12, Inc. was a very positive, rewarding experience.

Administrator (Former Employee)

ProsOpportunity to be part of a creative team committed to high-quality education of students.
    Commitment to constant improvement of all elements of the educational program.
    Commitment to support solutions at the local level vs top-down decision-making.

ConsOptions for career promotions required extensive travel in my specialty field.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to maintain positive corporate values.

Great place to work

ProsWork life balance. Opportunity to create. Job security. Flexible hours for many positions.

ConsCommute for on site people.

Advice to Senior ManagementNice work.

Good job if you stick it out.

Teacher (Current Employee)

ProsGood low-level management, pay comparable for teachers where I live, flexible, management (in my experience) stands behind teachers, and there are opportunities for advancement.

ConsOne used to be able to work any time of day as long as 40 hours were met (for full-time) and calls to students were made during business hours -- which is great for parents wishing to stay home with children and who need that flexibility. Changes in management have resulted in changes to this policy and teachers are now expected to work from 8-4/9-5. There is still flexibility, but this aspect is frustrating.

Student loads can be excessive, but enrollments are unpredictable, so sometimes it's impossible to adjust staffing levels to meet unexpected enrollment demands.

The company is constantly restructuring, so it can create uncertainties as to expectations for staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay should be adjusted for where teachers live -- not just one flat pay-scale.
    Flexibility is an important aspect of this job for most teachers, keep in mind that many have this position and work very hard but may not be able to be available from 8-4 or 9-5. Allow the flexibility (with phone calls made during business hours) for your remote employees.

50/50

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsThe work environment is awesome!! Really laid back and for the most part everyone gets along rather well. Perfect place to if you just joining Corporate America.

ConsNew upper management seem to have their own agendas and it only includes the people they like or brought over with them from their previous job.

Advice to Senior ManagementFight more for your employees instead of trying to impress upper management.

started off great and slowly losing morale

Prosflexible schedule and oppurtunity for growth

Conspoor upper management and low moral, not alot of leadership in management

Worked for K12? Contribute to the Community!